Window Cleaning Services

Re: Great tip for scratches on sills
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:40 am »
ive used "T" cut in past to remove the black marks left on the patio door steps when ive cleaned along the bottom of the doors and caught the step with the edge of the vikan brush. Used to get red marks when i used the ovals.I try to be more careful now. Wet n dry sounds a far better idea though.Thanks all for your tips. Syd

jeff1

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:27 am »
I take it with the wet and dry you need to keep it really wet to get the scratch out and not put any new one's in.

Paul
Just keep it nice and wet Paul and all will be fine.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:16 pm »
So how does this work then?  Wet the sill and then rub along the sill?

jeff1

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:37 pm »
Yes thats the correct way, do not go across the sill, keep the paper and the sill wet.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 01:09:38 pm »
Yes thats the correct way, do not go across the sill, keep the paper and the sill wet.

So after getting paint off (WD40?) you could use the paper to get rid of the "staining".

jeff1

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »
I have removed artex staining on a couple of frames useing this method, so I'm sure it will work with paint stains, you won't do any damage by trying.

If the above fails, come back on here and I will give you a tip that will remove it.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 06:59:42 pm »
I have removed artex staining on a couple of frames useing this method, so I'm sure it will work with paint stains, you won't do any damage by trying.

If the above fails, come back on here and I will give you a tip that will remove it.

Will try on my own first,  had a few people askin me about it.

jeff1

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
Don't worry jonathan, I tried it out on my own first  ;D I had one bad sill on the outside toilet, used the wet'n'dry and it brought it up like new.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »
Don't worry jonathan, I tried it out on my own first  ;D I had one bad sill on the outside toilet, used the wet'n'dry and it brought it up like new.

Mine have got burns from nitromores on it (I buggered up a few years ago) so hopefully that should work.  I suppose what it does is take a little layer of PVC off? 

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:08 pm »
I was looking at some sanding sponges in B&Q the other day - was tempted to try them but forgot all about it.

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:05 pm »

Mine have got burns from nitromores on it (I buggered up a few years ago) so hopefully that should work.  I suppose what it does is take a little layer of PVC off? 
I can't see it being a huge difference, this same method is used for removing scratches from plastic caravan windows, its also used for restoring scratched CD's why pay £10 for a machine that does it for you, when for a couple of bob you can restore your own, (use a figure 8 pattern and try it on an old CD)

I was looking at some sanding sponges in B&Q the other day - was tempted to try them but forgot all about it.
Dave, arn't they a little bit rough, I don't think there 2000 grade.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:32 pm »
There was a really fine one from jml or someone looked like the sponge they use for packaging almost. It was being sold as a magic stain remover but i reckon it was just slightly abraisive.

jeff1

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 09:56:18 pm »
There was a really fine one from jml or someone looked like the sponge they use for packaging almost. It was being sold as a magic stain remover but i reckon it was just slightly abraisive.
If its cheaper than wet'n'dry, then buy one and give it a try, but try it on your own sills first.

But don't come back and say I told you to buy one  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
What about getting highbuild off sills.  Highbuild is a textured masonary paint.

jeff1

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 10:32:00 am »
What about getting highbuild off sills.  Highbuild is a textured masonary paint.
That was one of my original problems, I scraped it off and left a couple of scratches because it was hard to scape off, try and use a strong plastic scraper at first, then use your  W&D.