sunshine windows

Great tip for scratches on sills
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:36:54 pm »
Hi guys,

As some of you are probably aware, I scratched a few of my customer's sills last month with the head of the brush.

I've been round them all today and sorted out the problem, with the help of a few pieces of advice from the forum.

Can't remember who metioned it but I got myself some 2000 grade wet and dry off ebay and it worked a treat.

Just wanted to relay the info to anyone else who might come across this problem in the future.

Thanks once again to whoever suggested the wet and dry solution.

Lance
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

jeff1

Re: Great tip for scratches on sills
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:39:04 pm »
Your welcome  ;) and it does work a treat doesn't it? might also pay you to next time run a little polish over the sills after useing the wet and dry.

sunshine windows

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:42:47 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Thought it might have been you.

Yes it does work a treat. Even some very deep gouges came out with the wet and dry.

I should have charged them for a restoration clean this time round.  ;D

Once again thanks for your advice mate.

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:02 pm »
Anyone come across those really rough mitered corners yet where it looks like the upvc was smoothed off with an angle grinder?

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:57:53 pm »
No problem Lance,  ;)
I had a few houses with loads of bad scratches, (all on a builders cleans)  lucky for me the plastc surgeon was on site, when I asked him the best way to remove them, he then told me about the wet & Dry, I thought to myself, this guy's taken the P but he came out with me and showed me how remove the scratches, I was amazed when he had finished the sills looked like new again.
I should have known better, because in my caravan manual, it shows you how to remove scratches from the plastic windows useing wet & dry.

I had a job with marks that the custy couldn't remove from a frame and sill, were they removed that creeping Ivy and it left all its little sucker marks, I did the Job when the custy was out, and when they returned they phoned to say how pleased they were, they added a £20 tip to my bill.
Was your Custy happy with the Job?????

And for those who read this, restoring the frames and sills can be a good little earner.

sunshine windows

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:23:50 pm »
All 4 of the customer's who's sills I scratched had their windows cleaned and sills buffed up by the wet and dry today. Every one of them happy as Larry, so hopefully no lost revenue there.

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

sunshine windows

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »
I have come across a few new jobs where the ends of the sills are rough as A*****es. Like you said DJW it looks like a right botch job.

Lance
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

Pittmonkey

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:42:07 pm »
Jeff What do you use to polish the pvc with after rubbing down? Just the usual cream cleaner?

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:05:11 pm »
You can use a little car polish, makes them shine a treat and gives them a little more protection.

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:50 pm »
The brushes we are using are scratching the sills ive had a customer cancel today and he mentioned the sills were scratched but his main reason for cancelling is that his windows were left wet, he said he thought we dried them off.
I explained about wfp he said he was going to get a window cleaner that uses ladders for a 3 storey house so then i explained about health & safety and that he would be in trouble if an accident occured, thats when he started complaining about the scratches on his sills that was the only bit of sense he made

so the suppliers need to come up with a good brush that doesnt scratch sills

Brett

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:02:02 pm »
This will stop the scratched sills, a bit heavy but may help you.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:07:24 pm »
Brett what brush are you using? I have had problems with sills recently with an old type Ionics? would also like to add thanks for sharing the info with us lance I have been taking on a lot of new cleans recently and have noticed in some cases scratches on the sills  ::)
Sussex by the sea

Pittmonkey

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:14:10 pm »
Personally I wouldn't think it was the bristles on the brush scratching the sill, more to do with the brush stock scrapping along the sill which is easily done.

The Vikan sill brush is very handy but a little on the heavy side for work above 18ft if yo need to work say over Cons or flat roofs.

@Jeff, Thanks for the tip Jeff

Wayne

brett walker

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:16:19 pm »
Thanks Jeff

seen those brushes before thought they might be a bit heavy

chris, im using a vikan rectangle but ive also complaints with my ionics one as well, did you recieve my email a few days ago

Brett.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 11:18:09 pm »
Brett is your Ionics a dual crinkle brush or the new Ionics Dual Trim (None Crinkle)
Cheers

Wayne

brett walker

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »
Brett is your Ionics a dual crinkle brush or the new Ionics Dual Trim (None Crinkle)
Cheers

Wayne

Hi wayne

my ionics is a commercial brush just normal nylon bristles but you are right its definately not the bristles its the brush stock scratching the sills

Brett.

pjulk

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 12:04:40 am »
I use the vikan sill brush.
Have done now for nearly 2 years as i was getting complaints of scratched sills.

Now no complaints and the sills come up excellent.

I don't think there too heavy but i was using a 16" vikan before.

I have other poles with vikan brushes and also double trim brush and a yellow one which i think was from WCW but i prefer the vikan sill brush.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 12:05:46 am »
I take it with the wet and dry you need to keep it really wet to get the scratch out and not put any new one's in.

Paul

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 12:45:51 am »
With my ionics the bristles are soft and the jets protrude about 3-4 mm from the bottom of the brush its either this scratching the sill or the edge of the brush not sure yet, however the new stiffer Ionics  combined with a Gaz mk2 swivel as far as I'm concerned is the mutts.
Brett sorry just found it reply in the post  ;)   
Sussex by the sea

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 06:06:25 am »
I think the marks left on sills are mostly 'scuff' marks from the stock, there will be scratches of course, particularly if the stock on the brush has got a little rough and now has a few embedded particles of grit.
For actual scratches I think the tip of wet & dry is a really good one...gonna get myself a few sheets so I'm prepared  ;)

Anyone tried T-cut? I guess it won't remove actual scratches, but I'd be interested to see if it would remove more general scuff marks.

It's one of the negatives of WFP, you can mark up sills and you can also chip paintwork :-\

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:40 am »
ive used "T" cut in past to remove the black marks left on the patio door steps when ive cleaned along the bottom of the doors and caught the step with the edge of the vikan brush. Used to get red marks when i used the ovals.I try to be more careful now. Wet n dry sounds a far better idea though.Thanks all for your tips. Syd

jeff1

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:27 am »
I take it with the wet and dry you need to keep it really wet to get the scratch out and not put any new one's in.

Paul
Just keep it nice and wet Paul and all will be fine.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 12:30:16 pm »
So how does this work then?  Wet the sill and then rub along the sill?

jeff1

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 12:51:37 pm »
Yes thats the correct way, do not go across the sill, keep the paper and the sill wet.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 01:09:38 pm »
Yes thats the correct way, do not go across the sill, keep the paper and the sill wet.

So after getting paint off (WD40?) you could use the paper to get rid of the "staining".

jeff1

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 05:59:45 pm »
I have removed artex staining on a couple of frames useing this method, so I'm sure it will work with paint stains, you won't do any damage by trying.

If the above fails, come back on here and I will give you a tip that will remove it.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 06:59:42 pm »
I have removed artex staining on a couple of frames useing this method, so I'm sure it will work with paint stains, you won't do any damage by trying.

If the above fails, come back on here and I will give you a tip that will remove it.

Will try on my own first,  had a few people askin me about it.

jeff1

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »
Don't worry jonathan, I tried it out on my own first  ;D I had one bad sill on the outside toilet, used the wet'n'dry and it brought it up like new.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 08:57:11 pm »
Don't worry jonathan, I tried it out on my own first  ;D I had one bad sill on the outside toilet, used the wet'n'dry and it brought it up like new.

Mine have got burns from nitromores on it (I buggered up a few years ago) so hopefully that should work.  I suppose what it does is take a little layer of PVC off? 

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 09:32:08 pm »
I was looking at some sanding sponges in B&Q the other day - was tempted to try them but forgot all about it.

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:05 pm »

Mine have got burns from nitromores on it (I buggered up a few years ago) so hopefully that should work.  I suppose what it does is take a little layer of PVC off? 
I can't see it being a huge difference, this same method is used for removing scratches from plastic caravan windows, its also used for restoring scratched CD's why pay £10 for a machine that does it for you, when for a couple of bob you can restore your own, (use a figure 8 pattern and try it on an old CD)

I was looking at some sanding sponges in B&Q the other day - was tempted to try them but forgot all about it.
Dave, arn't they a little bit rough, I don't think there 2000 grade.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:32 pm »
There was a really fine one from jml or someone looked like the sponge they use for packaging almost. It was being sold as a magic stain remover but i reckon it was just slightly abraisive.

jeff1

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 09:56:18 pm »
There was a really fine one from jml or someone looked like the sponge they use for packaging almost. It was being sold as a magic stain remover but i reckon it was just slightly abraisive.
If its cheaper than wet'n'dry, then buy one and give it a try, but try it on your own sills first.

But don't come back and say I told you to buy one  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 10:15:39 am »
What about getting highbuild off sills.  Highbuild is a textured masonary paint.

jeff1

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 10:32:00 am »
What about getting highbuild off sills.  Highbuild is a textured masonary paint.
That was one of my original problems, I scraped it off and left a couple of scratches because it was hard to scape off, try and use a strong plastic scraper at first, then use your  W&D.