Kev R

High Internal Window Cleaning
« on: January 31, 2008, 05:57:58 pm »
I have a couple of commercial sites that have "banned me" from using ladders. The have areas of high internal glass that is really difficult if not impossible to pole & Squeegee. Wfp is not an option as the area is carpeted.

Anybody have any good ideas how to do these areas in another way?

elite mike

Re: High Internal Window Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »
hi
i went to a demo of ionics cleaning high level inside glass,
i was wfp with a vacuum it worked very well, bit pricey though.
hope this helps
mike

Pat Purcell

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:08 pm »
What is making it difficult to use a trad pole and squeegee?
Boston USA    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   Cork Ireland

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:29 pm »
Kev, I have the perfect solution for this that doesnt require you spending lots of money. The trouble with high trad work on poles is the streaks and water marks.....agree? Well the solution is to trad pole it then after blading use a vileda ( or similar ) microfibre swivel to dry the glass easily!!!

Its the perfect and quick way of drying off the window, and if some marks have dried on then it will also rub them off nicely too!!

So there are two ways to go about doing this:

1 trad pole

2. wfp with a converter ( from ionics ) to make it able to take squeeges and applicators

When you buy the microfibe swivel make sure it will either fit a trad pole or wfp threads, happy cleaning, Luke

Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Kev R

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 06:10:15 pm »

30-40 ft and a wide deep sill on a narrow staircase.

Kev R

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 06:11:10 pm »
Kev, I have the perfect solution for this that doesnt require you spending lots of money. The trouble with high trad work on poles is the streaks and water marks.....agree? Well the solution is to trad pole it then after blading use a vileda ( or similar ) microfibre swivel to dry the glass easily!!!

Its the perfect and quick way of drying off the window, and if some marks have dried on then it will also rub them off nicely too!!

So there are two ways to go about doing this:

1 trad pole

2. wfp with a converter ( from ionics ) to make it able to take squeeges and applicators

When you buy the microfibe swivel make sure it will either fit a trad pole or wfp threads, happy cleaning, Luke

Can you fit that to an Unger pole Luke?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:14:37 pm »
The one I use comes from Home & Bargain and fits an Unger/trad thread pole. The Vileda ones have a Vikan style thread. Its very important thats its a microfibre one though and that if you use an angle adapter that its straight when using the swivel, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Pat Purcell

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:16:23 pm »

Yep, that would do it, ;D
For the deep sills you could use a ledger, ( kind of like a gooseneck for trad poling)
Theres a 5 piece unger trad pole that goes to 30 ft, if you get a 3 section 24 ft pole abd use the largest 2 sections of the unger you can get to 34ft and if you get another 2 larger sections and remove the end cap and shove the 2nd section into the bottom almost all the way it will get you to 40ft, Still would not solve the problem of the stairs, but if you were able to ladder them then maybe that would work

Kev R

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:19:34 pm »
The one I use comes from Home & Bargain and fits an Unger/trad thread pole. The Vileda ones have a Vikan style thread. Its very important thats its a microfibre one though and that if you use an angle adapter that its straight when using the swivel, Luke

Thanks Luke,

Have you tried a damp T bar mop and then straight to a microfiber without using a squeegee?

Kev R

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:21:46 pm »

For the deep sills you could use a ledger, ( kind of like a gooseneck for trad poling)
Theres a 5 piece unger trad pole that goes to 30 ft, if you get a 3 section 24 ft pole abd use the largest 2 sections of the unger you can get to 34ft and if you get another 2 larger sections and remove the end cap and shove the 2nd section into the bottom almost all the way it will get you to 40ft, Still would not solve the problem of the stairs, but if you were able to ladder them then maybe that would work

I have a good unger pole and a short ledger but its difficult to get the correct angel with it.  I was considering getting a deeper brass ledger or a 0 degree squeegee but not sure which would be best?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:23:14 pm »
Have you tried a damp T bar mop and then straight to a microfiber without using a squeegee?

Yes, it works but only if you pull the microfibre in one direction ( no up and down movements ) otherwise they tend to leave a fine dust streaked on the window. So do a pulling down motion but dont push back up! If you do it this way then buy quite a few sleeves for the swivel. If you do decide to blade you can afford to be sloppy with your blading because you can simply dry the streaks off! Luke

Kev R

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »

Yes, it works but only if you pull the microfibre in one direction ( no up and down movements ) otherwise they tend to leave a fine dust streaked on the window. So do a pulling down motion but dont push back up! If you do it this way then buy quite a few sleeves for the swivel. If you do decide to blade you can afford to be sloppy with your blading because you can simply dry the streaks off! Luke

So when including blading can you pull / push the microfibre in all directions or just down again?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 06:29:17 pm »
with/without blading just pull the microfibre down....it really is a brilliant and simple solution, it has saved me alot of time and money. And because of the nature of the swivel you can get it over deep sills/corners etc etc, Luke

Kev R

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 06:35:44 pm »
Thank you so much Luke I will give it a try. Have you got a link for where I can get one on the spare mops please?

Pat Purcell

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 06:35:44 pm »
[

For the deep sills you could use a ledger, (

I have a good unger pole and a short ledger but its difficult to get the correct angel with it.  I was considering getting a deeper brass ledger or a 0 degree squeegee but not sure which would be best?
I have one of the large ledgers and you are right its hard to find that correct angle with it and that would be doubly hard with a stairs in the way, The second from largest ledger will handle a 4-5in ledge easily if you have the correct angle, But if you have used a ledger then Im sure you know what the job would require, There is a swivel ledger available but its not as deep, it might do a 3in ledge but not much more especially if you are using it at an angle

Kev R

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:56 pm »
[

For the deep sills you could use a ledger, (

I have one of the large ledgers and you are right its hard to find that correct angle with it and that would be doubly hard with a stairs in the way, The second from largest ledger will handle a 4-5in ledge easily if you have the correct angle, But if you have used a ledger then Im sure you know what the job would require, There is a swivel ledger available but its not as deep, it might do a 3in ledge but not much more especially if you are using it at an angle

Pat have you tried a 0 degree on a cranked extension?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:06 pm »
I have a carpeted 3/4 star hotel with corridors of high internal glass. I turn the flow down to about 250ml/min and just wfp it mopping up watyer on the internal cills. the central heating sorts the rest out. You may have to explain about the soap issue and that it may take a couple of cleans to come right.
its faster and I knocked a bit of money off. They like £££ off.  :D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 06:42:02 pm »
Here at Wilkinson plus, they have both swivel and spare mops. I have never used the Vileda ones so they may be terrible. Instead give a few shops a vistit ( Woolworths/Wilkos/Home & Bargain etc )

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bin/venda?ex=co_wizr-locayta&template=wz_locayta&pageno=1&perpage=10&collate=cat%3Apdxttype&fieldrtype=type&termtextrtype=invt&typertype=exact&typekeywordsearch=keyword&termtextkeywordsearch=microfibre+swivel&searchsubmit.x=0&searchsubmit.y=0

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 06:43:17 pm »
yes or you could try the flow really low with towels on the floor, Luke

Kev R

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 06:45:24 pm »

Kev R

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 06:47:25 pm »
I have a carpeted 3/4 star hotel with corridors of high internal glass. I turn the flow down to about 250ml/min and just wfp it mopping up watyer on the internal cills. the central heating sorts the rest out. You may have to explain about the soap issue and that it may take a couple of cleans to come right.

Your a braver man than I Jeff Brimble  ;)

Pat Purcell

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 06:49:16 pm »
Kev , the closest thing to a 0 degree squeege I have is an ettore contour pro, I dont get on with it for anything but the lowest pole work ,but with a cranked extension and a 0 degree it would have the same effect as a ledger (I think)

Kev R

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 06:52:05 pm »
Kev , the closest thing to a 0 degree squeege I have is an ettore contour pro, I dont get on with it for anything but the lowest pole work ,but with a cranked extension and a 0 degree it would have the same effect as a ledger (I think)

Pat,
 I love using a Slimline Wagtail for most of my pole work and I find it excellent to use but throw in a ledge and its a different ball game.

Thanks for you help mate.

trevor perry

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:58:10 pm »
i think a big problem is the cills, they soon become very dusty which is easily wiped if using a ladder the trouble comes when trying to use a squeege as the water ends up on cills and turns to mud (can look a real mess from a viranda or staircase) the same is true if using a microfibre on a pole as it will pick up the dirt on the cill and spread it onto window making them streaky.
  i have a few jobs coming up where this is now a issue and was thinking about buying the ionics pro 10 but i havnt seen it demonstrated yet, the salesman told me they often adjust the head and vacume the cills first to avoid the above problem , this is soon going to become a big issue on some large commercial jobs with the current health and safety and unless a simple solution can be found we may end up using scaffolding which is vert costly and in my opinion more dangerous erecting and dismantling than it would be to use ladders.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 07:02:45 pm »
the same is true if using a microfibre on a pole as it will pick up the dirt on the cill and spread it onto window making them streaky.

I wouldnt touch the sills with the swivel microfibre, Luke

Kev R

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 07:03:24 pm »
i think a big problem is the cills, they soon become very dusty which is easily wiped if using a ladder the trouble comes when trying to use a squeege as the water ends up on cills and turns to mud (can look a real mess from a viranda or staircase) the same is true if using a microfibre on a pole as it will pick up the dirt on the cill and spread it onto window making them streaky.
  i have a few jobs coming up where this is now a issue and was thinking about buying the ionics pro 10 but i havnt seen it demonstrated yet, the salesman told me they often adjust the head and vacume the cills first to avoid the above problem , this is soon going to become a big issue on some large commercial jobs with the current health and safety and unless a simple solution can be found we may end up using scaffolding which is vert costly and in my opinion more dangerous erecting and dismantling than it would be to use ladders.

Eventually I guess something like the Ionics pro 10 will be the norm for everyone as wfp is becoming, but at the moment its becoming difficult to clean internal windows at height as the customer simply does not want ladders used.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 07:04:37 pm »
Kev, tell me how you get on doing the job, :) Luke

trevor perry

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »
this may work but it is certainly an health and safety no no as some of these deep cills may have electric switches or wiring running along them that are certainly not water resistent enough to have water running all over them and that cant be seen from the floor if this method was used it would only be a matter of time before someone started a big fire.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

trevor perry

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 07:08:29 pm »
the same is true if using a microfibre on a pole as it will pick up the dirt on the cill and spread it onto window making them streaky.

I wouldnt touch the sills with the swivel microfibre, Luke

if you dont touch the cills they soon become very dirty and look a mess from verandas etc, also on the end of a 40ft pole it is difficult not to touch them i know i have tried

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 07:10:45 pm »
clean them with the applicator then, Luke

trevor perry

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:45 pm »
hi luke
     i am not trying to pick fault with you sugestions and i am sure a mixture of all the ways  you have mentioned would work ie sqeege on pole , applicator on pole , microfibre swivel but it is very time consuming lowering pole attaching next tool then re extending etc and in all fairness the results are not perfect, i honestly dont believe the results will be perfect with the pro 10 but i may be proved wrong, i just sometimes think this health and safety has gone to far

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 07:32:23 pm »
this may work but it is certainly an health and safety no no as some of these deep cills may have electric switches or wiring running along them that are certainly not water resistent enough to have water running all over them and that cant be seen from the floor if this method was used it would only be a matter of time before someone started a big fire.

I agree Trevor but we all do risk assesments first- no electric anywhere near so no H&S issues on this job.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »
No I like your input mate  :) But if you dont blade just applicate then its a little quicker, Luke

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:43 pm »
If your going to do what Jeff does ( 250ml/min ) then you will need 1mm-1.5mm jets to have good pressure at that rate of flow, Luke

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
How about wfp, but with 4 very fine mist sprays jets in the head, so little water is used even on high pressure as the water cannot come out much faster...

you dont have to have the pump on all the time to clean, you can spray a mist over starting from the top and turn it off, clean the whole window then rinse down. Is there any chance the carpet can be pulled up easily and rolled back a bit? then put several sheets down?