JSMC

self employed or set up company
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:32:51 pm »
what do all of you do regarding this?

Re: self employed or set up company
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:47:54 pm »
what do all of you do regarding this?
I am self employed and own the company and employ.

Can you say a little more about what you are thinking of doing then maybe more people will reply to this post.

Ian

JSMC

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:10:06 pm »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=48214.0

that is a link to what i am  talking about

thanks.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:17:43 pm »

thanks.

Just had a quick scan through the thread, can't see anything about "settiing up a company"

Do you mean should you set up a Ltd company?

Setting up a business as a self employed person is just that - the minute you register as self employed and start earning you are a business.

JSMC

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:24:09 pm »

thanks.

Just had a quick scan through the thread, can't see anything about "settiing up a company"

Do you mean should you set up a Ltd company?

Setting up a business as a self employed person is just that - the minute you register as self employed and start earning you are a business.

yeah are you guys all ltd ?

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:01 pm »
Ian,
on the £94 post that got deleted i was interested in what you said.

Basically you may well achieve more in the last two years of your working life than in the entirety of what went before. (my interpretation not yours).

I wondered if this was a waste. I understand what your plans are, but would you ever consider being some kind of consultant helping people in different parts of the country go the route you've gone. (when you have some extra time).

I haven't got enough work for myself yet, but I think this would suit me better than employing. I know there's a lot involved, but it's just a thought.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:32:33 pm »
Very few, especially one man bands.

There's only one really good reason to be Ltd, and that's if you've borrowed a lot of money to set up (plant/vehicles/premises etc.)  If you go bust then your creditors can only get their hands on cash and equipment owned by the company, they can't take your house or any personal belongings.

So are you going to borrow a couple of million? ;D ;D

JSMC

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:07 pm »
not borrowing a lot if i do go ahead with this. so just self employed is the way to go with some public liablity insurance

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:32 pm »

There's only one really good reason to be Ltd, and that's if you've borrowed a lot of money to set up (plant/vehicles/premises etc.)  If you go bust then your creditors can only get their hands on cash and equipment owned by the company, they can't take your house or any personal belongings.So are you going to borrow a couple of million? ;D ;D
you may find they have changed the law on that one Ian.

Ian

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 05:39:23 pm »
Ian,

Basically you may well achieve more in the last two years of your working life than in the entirety of what went before. (my interpretation not yours).

I wondered if this was a waste. I understand what your plans are, but would you ever consider being some kind of consultant helping people in different parts of the country go the route you've gone. (when you have some extra time).

I haven't got enough work for myself yet, but I think this would suit me better than employing. I know there's a lot involved, but it's just a thought.

You could well be right (about achieving more....).  I've tried the employing game a few times - never again.  For the majority of my working life I've been contented with my lot - I'm franchising because I need an income into retirement.  As to being a consultant, I have no qualfications - just experience and common sense but there are legal considerations when you advise people in return for money - they can sue you if you give bad or incorrect advice :o

I'm booked to present a seminar on franchising the way I've done it at Windex in March, so come along and ask all the questions you want ;)

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 05:41:04 pm »

There's only one really good reason to be Ltd, and that's if you've borrowed a lot of money to set up (plant/vehicles/premises etc.)  If you go bust then your creditors can only get their hands on cash and equipment owned by the company, they can't take your house or any personal belongings.So are you going to borrow a couple of million? ;D ;D
you may find they have changed the law on that one Ian.

Ian

In that case there's even less reason to go Ltd.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 05:51:36 pm »
Ian,

You could well be right (about achieving more....).  I've tried the employing game a few times - never again.  For the majority of my working life I've been contented with my lot - I'm franchising because I need an income into retirement.  As to being a consultant, I have no qualfications - just experience and common sense but there are legal considerations when you advise people in return for money - they can sue you if you give bad or incorrect advice :o

I'm booked to present a seminar on franchising the way I've done it at Windex in March, so come along and ask all the questions you want ;)
I will come and see it for sure, I have the ideal name and for this reason  ;)

Ian

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 07:51:11 pm »
You pick the people you work with Ian, I expect you sort of know who will make a go of things. Mentoring someone like me would be similar.

I reckon I've got the drive and marketing skills to biuld the work up. Copies of your standard contract would be helpfull ( it might be best to copyright these so that people like me have to pay). I don't expect they are absolutley iron clad, but better than nothing, and I bet months of work and thought went into them.

You'd have guidance on who to pick and what levels of investment to ask for.

I wouldn't be after making a quick buck, but long term providing six to ten people with lucrative businesses that they couldn't achieve on their own.

I wouldn't give any talk at Windex, but that's just me, your idea is a biggie.

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:34 pm »
You pick the people you work with Ian, I expect you sort of know who will make a go of things. Mentoring someone like me would be similar.

I reckon I've got the drive and marketing skills to biuld the work up. Copies of your standard contract would be helpfull ( it might be best to copyright these so that people like me have to pay). I don't expect they are absolutley iron clad, but better than nothing, and I bet months of work and thought went into them.

You'd have guidance on who to pick and what levels of investment to ask for.

I wouldn't be after making a quick buck, but long term providing six to ten people with lucrative businesses that they couldn't achieve on their own.

I wouldn't give any talk at Windex, but that's just me, your idea is a biggie.
Mr S what are you going on about ?

I have either missed something ie "a biggie" or have been drinking since christmas and not stopped.

Can you let me know please as you seem ever so fasinated by Ian

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 08:09:31 pm »
I think it's a big idea. It's a breakthrough idea, but it's his idea.

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »
have i missed something here

are we taling about window cleaning franchising here ( as this post seems a little hush hush and talking in riddles )

chrismroberts

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:44 pm »
I also am intrigued ;) Windex.... 2008? Wheres that? And when?

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 08:37:08 pm »
I think it's a big idea. It's a breakthrough idea, but it's his idea.
WHAT IDEA  ::)

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 09:01:41 pm »
Matt,
Yes you are correct. and I'm not trying to be mysteriious, but I have been very impressed by what Ian's done and what it means.

It's Ian's Idea and not mine, he calls it a franchise but i'm not sure if that's correct. He provides and default owns all the work.