m.b.s.

advise needed please
« on: October 06, 2007, 08:44:07 pm »
i have a n reg vauxhall combo van i am going to board the sides tommorow so i can fit my pumps and things but the prob i can see is how it is shaped i cannot find anywere i can use self tapping screws to fix the bords to the sides the top rails of the van are all at angles at the back they a rounded there is a center strut in the middle i can screw to but nowere at the top or at the sides also do you put any thing behind the bords so you can screw your pump and vary stream in to i need to do this by next week as i have a 600 liter ibc tank and cage comming i know you will all say it is to big for the van but the size isnt but if i fill it to 600 l then yes it will be too much weight for it but i thought it would be better to go big know incase i get a bigger van then i wouldnt have to get another tank  as i say i know there will be too much weight if i fill it to the top so i was only going to fill it half way 300l  any advise on how to board it some one must have the same van cheers

Re: advise needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:48:44 pm »
i have a n reg vauxhall combo van i am going to board the sides tommorow so i can fit my pumps and things but the prob i can see is how it is shaped i cannot find anywere i can use self tapping screws to fix the bords to the sides the top rails of the van are all at angles at the back they a rounded there is a center strut in the middle i can screw to but nowere at the top or at the sides also do you put any thing behind the bords so you can screw your pump and vary stream in to i need to do this by next week as i have a 600 liter ibc tank and cage comming i know you will all say it is to big for the van but the size isnt but if i fill it to 600 l then yes it will be too much weight for it but i thought it would be better to go big know incase i get a bigger van then i wouldnt have to get another tank  as i say i know there will be too much weight if i fill it to the top so i was only going to fill it half way 300l  any advise on how to board it some one must have the same van cheers
hope that tanks baffled if not dont fill it with 300l of water you would be asking for trouble, I 2 am boarding my van in the morning, what size ply did you get? I got 9mm.

from what you are saying about the doors have you thought of putting battons there they ply over, I have loads as I dont need them now (so I think anyway   ::)

m.b.s.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:51:03 pm »
i thought it didnt have to be baffeled as it is in a cage

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 08:53:51 pm »
i thought it didnt have to be baffeled as it is in a cage
be carful going around corners if half full the water will slosh around, how are you fixing this tank in ?????

m.b.s.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 09:20:39 pm »
sorry it took so long to get back i have just had a look to see if i could get battoning in and i cant seem to as they ar rounded but it is dark out there as for the ply i think it is 6mm thick also for the tank it is eter going to be boalted through the cage and through the chassi or floor depending on the mechanic if not heavy duity rachet straps i know you designe web sites can you designe me a signe for the side of my van free of charge eye caching with the wfp on it if you can i can email you the relevent details cheers get back

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 09:26:15 pm »
sorry it took so long to get back i have just had a look to see if i could get battoning in and i cant seem to as they ar rounded but it is dark out there as for the ply i think it is 6mm thick also for the tank it is eter going to be boalted through the cage and through the chassi or floor depending on the mechanic if not heavy duity rachet straps i know you designe web sites can you designe me a signe for the side of my van free of charge eye caching with the wfp on it if you can i can email you the relevent details cheers get back
I am waiting for Jeff or Joe to pit this post up.

as for sign for van go to a signwritter it is not expensive many dont charge for the design, as thats quick to do. ebay signs if you want them printed cheap and do it yourself, I am paying a company to do my van,1 cause it cost me ££££'s 2 they do it for a living and I want it to look proffesional

m.b.s.

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 09:33:46 pm »
how do you mean your waiting for jeff and joe to pit this post up

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:40:20 pm »
how do you mean your waiting for jeff and joe to pit this post up
about your tank m8

m.b.s.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:44:45 pm »
why do you think it should be baffeled even though it is caged i know a guy that has a 1000 l in his and he works for a company dont think it is baffeled let me know though what you are thinking before it is too late cheers

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:04:57 pm »
why do you think it should be baffeled even though it is caged i know a guy that has a 1000 l in his and he works for a company dont think it is baffeled let me know though what you are thinking before it is too late cheers
I was thinking water movement, a sharp tun to say miss a old lady stepping out with a half full tank for a payload as low as yours means the water would be heavier when moving, I could be wrong on that but that is my thought, I have a 1100+ payload and a 650 tank baffled and caged, maybe overkill dont know but my thought on that is better to be safe than sry.

Hope someone else read this and states the facts

m.b.s.

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 10:15:07 pm »
thanks good look with the boarding tomorrow

m.b.s.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 10:16:31 pm »
by the way are you putting any thing under your boards to screw your pump and variestream into

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 10:19:06 pm »
by the way are you putting any thing under your boards to screw your pump and variestream into
I am not at the moment, I am using 9mm ply, but if someone every adds to this post it may change because I am green to this as I am guessing you are.

I will try and get people to help us 2 ticks.

SO TO ANYONE READING THIS POST PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'(

need a cleaner

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:28:22 pm »
the reason for the bafle is that will create divisions inside of the tank, meaning that rather thatn having 300l bouncing around wille you driving the bafle reduces the catapult effect the cage only prevents the tank from giving in.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:30:22 pm »
I don't think it's road legal to have more than a 250 litre tank without baffles,.. maybe someone will correct me on this,.. but legal of not,.. it's mad not to use a proper tank.

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 10:31:20 pm »
Is this an IBC tank on a pallet with metal cage your talking about? or an Ordinary  Tank.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 10:33:06 pm »
Is this an IBC tank on a pallet with metal cage your talking about? or an Ordinary  Tank.
would that make any difference at all Jeff?

need a cleaner

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 10:33:14 pm »
ewspecialy because 300l in a 600l tank have alot of space to balance, i would not be suprised if the van would turn on the side if you do a bend a bit to fast :o

m.b.s.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 10:35:05 pm »
ibc on pallet in metal cage

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:12 pm »
ibc on pallet in metal cage
christ its not looking good so far MBSm I have added another post to get to this one so we can have it sorted out for you, also about the ply lining part for both of us  ;)

jeff1

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:24 pm »
would that make any difference at all Jeff?
An Ordinary 650 ltr water tank like the ones we used are already baffled.

If its an IBC tank then you can fasten the pallet to the floor of your van, and through the lid you can fill it with lengths of drainage pipes, this is what a few of the guy's on here have done, and it cuts down the sloshing of the water in the tank.

jeff1

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 10:40:28 pm »
You'll need to be good carpenters to fit ply lining, If I was doing it in a van I would just fit it to the side pillars/supports with self tapping screws, the pillars/supports should be about an inch away from the panels, so you will be able to fasten pumps, varistreams or what ever you want, just don't use to long a screw.

m.b.s.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 10:41:17 pm »
you mene the pipes we have from the gutters to the drains do you use them whole or cut in half please tell me how to do this i will pick up post in morning as have  been up since 3.30 am working any advice greatley helpfull

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 10:42:51 pm »
You'll need to be good carpenters to fit ply lining, If I was doing it in a van I would just fit it to the side pillars/supports with self tapping screws, the pillars/supports should be about an inch away from the panels, so you will be able to fasten pumps, varistreams or what ever you want, just don't use to long a screw.
the amount of ply I have just bought (shop closed down so got far to much) I will learn quickly, I am pretty good with my hands to be honest will take a few pics before and after, that should be a laugh for a few of you

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 10:43:49 pm »
you mene the pipes we have from the gutters to the drains do you use them whole or cut in half please tell me how to do this i will pick up post in morning as have  been up since 3.30 am working any advice greatley helpfull
I will keep thsi post going MBS and ask what I think you need to ok, night m8

jeff1

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 10:44:57 pm »
The guy's are using 4'' drainage pipes (plastic type) you can get them with holes already in them, cut them into long lenghts and fill the tank up as much as possible with them.

I would have just bought a 650ltr water Tank and used the IBC for home storage.

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:02 pm »
the amount of ply I have just bought (shop closed down so got far to much) I will learn quickly, I am pretty good with my hands to be honest will take a few pics before and after, that should be a laugh for a few of you
I would stuff some insulation between the panels and the ply, help cut down noise and helps insulate for the winter.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 10:48:39 pm »
I would stuff some insulation between the panels and the ply, help cut down noise and helps insulate for the winter.
I never thought of that bugger, nice one though cheers

dave0123

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2007, 12:52:04 pm »
M.B.S

I would just get a 400ltr baffled tank mate. Better to be safe than sorry! then if you get a bigger van you can upgrade to a 650lit you could even just buy an extra 250lit tank or something.

Not that much more cost and you will be safer than having a 600 IBC tank in the back of a combo. What year is the combo?

Dave
Dave.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2007, 04:54:41 pm »
The idea of the baffles is to prevent the water all rushing to one side of the tank when you corner/brake/accellerate.

If you have 300l in the tank, and you go round a corner a bit quick, there's a force of 300kg piling up against the side of the tank which could topple the van over, or pull the tank off the floor.

To slow it down you need to cut lengths of guttering downpipe that you can fit through the filler hole, as near as possible the same length as the internal dimension of the tank.  You also need to PACK IN ENOUGH TO FIT TIGHTLY IN THE TANK WITHOUT MOVING or else the whole point is wasted as the water and pipes will slosh around as one unit.

Fixing an IBC: you will need to brace over the top of the tank, as the cage is to retain the shape of the plastic tank, not restrain it - it isn't strong enough for that.  You should use heavy guage steel strips shaped to fit, or very heavy ratchet straps and the anchor points need to be thick high tensile bolts fastened through chassis members (not just the floor, as this will rip up like tissue paper if you have a crash)

Cheers,

Ian

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2007, 06:19:21 pm »

Fixing an IBC: you will need to brace over the top of the tank, as the cage is to retain the shape of the plastic tank, not restrain it - it isn't strong enough for that.  You should use heavy guage steel strips shaped to fit, or very heavy ratchet straps and the anchor points need to be thick high tensile bolts fastened through chassis members (not just the floor, as this will rip up like tissue paper if you have a crash)

Cheers,

Ian

Good point Ian,

You can baffle an IBC using 6" drain pipe but you will still need a decent fixing arrangement.

Bolting the through the floor will only give a false sense of security. When trying to restrain 1000 litre of water you need a lot of reinforcing, or fixing around the chassis.

Davew

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2007, 07:03:29 pm »
I'm not knocking anyone on this thread but what about builders? Do they worry about the cement mixer chucked in the back , the bags of sand, the pallet of patio slabs or bricks? I just wonder how they stand with the law or their own safety?

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2007, 08:21:56 pm »
that's like going through a green light when there's a 32 ton truck with failed brakes coming through the red one.

Why should you worry? You've got the right of way ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:18 pm »
I'm not knocking anyone on this thread but what about builders? Do they worry about the cement mixer chucked in the back , the bags of sand, the pallet of patio slabs or bricks? I just wonder how they stand with the law or their own safety?
more than likely not, But we are not builders and a cement mixer is no where near the same weight as say 300l of water moving at you, if you dont care about yourself then not a problem, I myself have three kids and a wife that love me dearly and rely on me to support them and I also always look out for my safety if it aint safe simple I dont do it, I let another mug. I value my life and a squashed me is not a good thought, always make safety a priority as this also says alot about your work ethic  ;)

dave0123

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 09:03:08 pm »
Theres no point moving from ladder work to wfp if your driving a death trap of a van  ;D

Dave
Dave.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:55 pm »
Theres no point moving from ladder work to wfp if your driving a death trap of a van  ;D

Dave

I'll second that.
It aint hard to do the job right,... so you'd be a complete plonker not to.

Davew

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:57 pm »
Like I said not having a go at all, safety is paramount you would be a fool not to secure your tank, just pointing out that others don't even consider safety as an issue. Many people must be driving the same vehicles (transits etc.) with no means of securing their loads. I used to be a printer and often pallets of paper were sent off in the back of a courier type van unsecured. :o

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 01:06:16 am »
Like I said not having a go at all, safety is paramount you would be a fool not to secure your tank, just pointing out that others don't even consider safety as an issue. Many people must be driving the same vehicles (transits etc.) with no means of securing their loads.
I second that  ;) work smart be safe and live life