nathankaye

Bitten the bullet
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:29:43 am »
So as my Mrs is working with me periodically and using the trolley system, I thought I would try n make it as easy as possible for her and so I took delivery last night of my first uni valve  :o  ;D

Opinion so far is that I like it and can see what the rest of you go on about!  I don't think I will get one for my set up, but for use on the trolley I think it's great so far. I will use it a bit today n report back later if I think it's as great as what most people say
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Simon Trapani

Re: Bitten the bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 12:31:50 pm »
It’s hard to go back to a tap afterwards as you keep yanking on the hose out of habit. Then you remeber you’ve got to scrabble around on the floor for your tap, or in your case, your hip!

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:52:25 pm »
It’s hard to go back to a tap afterwards as you keep yanking on the hose out of habit. Then you remeber you’ve got to scrabble around on the floor for your tap, or in your case, your hip!

Must admit I do like the uni valve that I use on the pole for the trolley, but it's still a pain ensuring you have enough pole hose by you feet to extend the pole smoothly.
I've modified my tap valve for a long arm tap so it's a quick flick up or down to turn on/off. It makes it so easy. That easy it's the other way round for me Simon, I keep going to turn the tap off when usi G the trolley.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Jonny 87

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 05:40:25 pm »
Thought this post was gonna be a powered reel, extreme pole, new van...... Nope, a £30 univalve.  ;D

I bet youll get one for your setup in no time. Much easier then a normal valve. 👍
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:03 pm »
i have a uni valve on my 18 slx.

i have a tap on my 30ft slx (because im tight and it only gets used couple of times a day)

i hate using the tap, its noticeably more of a PITA

I couldnt use one all day

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 05:53:38 pm »
univalve on my main pole and nothing on my 47 footer(i pinch the hose) as (like adam)it only gets used a few times a month....

i dont know how anyone could work with a tap these days.ive not used one for years.the aqua daptor came out and i never looked back(apart from a brief spell where i had a tap AT THE TOP OF MY POLE)when yet again another aquadaptor broke.......then the univalve came out....

its the best thing that ever happened to WFP (as well as xtreme poles,diesel heaters with frost stat,cleaner planner and (probably) ;Delectric reels)
price higher/work harder!

John Mart

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:00:02 pm »
Thought this post was gonna be a powered reel, extreme pole, new van...... Nope, a £30 univalve.  ;D

I bet youll get one for your setup in no time. Much easier then a normal valve. 👍
Or New van, proper sign writing etc.  ;D

John Mart

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »
univalve on my main pole and nothing on my 47 footer(i pinch the hose) as (like adam)it only gets used a few times a month....

i dont know how anyone could work with a tap these days.ive not used one for years.the aqua daptor came out and i never looked back(apart from a brief spell where i had a tap AT THE TOP OF MY POLE)when yet again another aquadaptor broke.......then the univalve came out....

its the best thing that ever happened to WFP (as well as xtreme poles,diesel heaters with frost stat,cleaner planner and (probably) ;Delectric reels)
A tap at the top of a pole is daft though. You should have strapped it to the pole so you could turn it on and off.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:31:32 pm »

A tap at the top of a pole is daft though. You should have strapped it to the pole so you could turn it on and off.
i hated the loop it caused when strapping it to the pole..... ;D

John Mart

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:16:44 am »

i hated the loop it caused when strapping it to the pole..... ;D
It’s the only way I’ve ever worked. It doesn’t bother me at all.

Dry Clean

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:41 am »
I have a tap on a belt which means I can rest the end of the pole against my thigh when removing one hand to turn it off,
with the uni valve you have to rest the brush on the glass, frame or sill when turning off the water which I'm not a fan of.
Its an ok device but just like every other method for controlling your water it has its flaws.

andyM

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:54 am »
with the uni valve you have to rest the brush on the glass, frame or sill when turning off the water which I'm not a fan of.

No you don't!
One of the Plebs

Dry Clean

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 08:11:36 am »

No you don't!

You do if you don't want to support an extended pole in one hand as you use the other to pull the hose.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 08:13:56 am »
The technique with the univalve is pole to glass pull on, scrub glass and rinse drop down to sill water off and wipe sill

Boom

John Mart

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 08:14:32 am »

No you don't!
I hadn’t thought of that but it’s obvious when you think about it.

You do if you don't want to support an extended pole in one hand as you use the other to pull the hose.

andyM

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:56 am »

No you don't!

Well I've been using the univalve for more than a year with a 25ft slx and I can assure you that I can hold the pole with one hand and pull the hose with the other to start / stop the water.
Yes more often than not I will operate the valve while the brush is against the glass or on the sill but it doesn't have to be.
Im just wondering if you're thinking of the peter fogwill valve which I believe needed the brush resting against a window/frame/sill to twist and operate on/off? 
One of the Plebs

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 08:25:24 am »
The technique with the univalve is pole to glass pull on, scrub glass and rinse drop down to sill water off and wipe sill

Boom

Exactly which is why its not for me.
1.. A lot of the windows I clean have bare concrete sills which I don't touch.
2... I don't like the water flow being on the sill when turning off as there's always the possibility of something splashing back up onto the glass.

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:31:24 am »

Boom

Exactly which is why its not for me.
1.. A lot of the windows I clean have bare concrete sills which I don't touch.
2... I don't like the water flow being on the sill when turning off as there's always the possibility of something splashing back up onto the glass.

I have to disagree.

1. Touching the sill won't kill you. You don't have to clean it if you don't wish all I mean is when you've finished the rinse the sill takes the weight of the brush head for the second it takes to pull the hose.

2.if you cleaned the sill then they wouldn't be full of muck  ;D but no this doesn't happen as the brush is too close to the glass and angles down protecting against splash back just the same way as the top frame it when cutting in the top.

Have you tried a univalve or are you just guessing ?

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 08:44:40 am »
you know what seans like...even if he thought a uni valve was much better/convenient than a tap........he wouldnt admit it......he just likes to go against the grain and argue for argues sake!! ;D

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 08:55:43 am »
As much as I like the uni valve it is a faff to turn on n off compared to the tap I use and have modified with  a longer arm.
With the tap on my belt I can hold the pole any which way I like and a quick move of the arm/hand by my side and the water is on or off.   Compared to the uni valve where I need to hold the pole near the end so I can grab hold of the pole hose I order to tug it for the same result.   Unless I'm not quite used to it, it doesn't seem as natural and easy as it does to turn the tap valve off.    Before people argue my point, have you tried a tap valve in an holster by your hip. Not fixed to the pole with the annoying loop of extra hose that simply gets in the way nor with dragging the valve on the floor.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 09:10:24 am »
you know what seans like...even if he thought a uni valve was much better/convenient than a tap........he wouldnt admit it......he just likes to go against the grain and argue for argues sake!! ;D

This is a persons product? livelihood so there's no way I would say anything dishonest about it, if I found the uni valve handier than a tap I would use it, for me its not and I have given my reasons.

nathankaye

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 05:50:37 pm »
Lol, I say modified. I actually mean bought 6mm barb to 1/4 screw thread valve tap with long arm.
On the end a screw thread and then 6mm push fit.

Makes working really easy.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 06:10:40 pm »
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk