David 'Duck' Clare

My Backpack Explained
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:38:28 pm »
Hi all,

Ive just put my backpack together and i thought id detail costs and a how to guide for any other wannabe backpackers! Hope it makes sense to everyone.

COSTS:

Backpack  ebay (USA) $251 (£135)

Backpack input duty £27.55

6 x 25l containers   via a friend  £23.40

22' Pole inc Vikan 11" brush jetted  windowcleaningwarehouse £140.99 inc vat

RO unit 50 gal / day   ebay    £72.00 inc p&p

Hand held TDS metre   ebay   £13.99 inc p&p

Connectors (3x) B&Q £8.44

TOTAL £421.37

Picture of how the connectors are put together:

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: My Backpack Explained
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:41:38 pm »
sorry the red writting hasn't come out well, if you download the jpeg picture you can read it that way.....however i think the picture is self explanatory.

DC

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:56:01 pm »
It looks good, but from experience, I think Unger poles go better with a back pack.

They're way lighter that fibre-glass too, but the beauty of them is, is that the hose is on the outside of the pole, giving you extra reach; therefore less moves of the backpack.

I also recommend you get one of those collapsable sack trucks to put your backpack on; it needs to have holes in the foot, so you can get at the button at the base of the back pack.  I picked mine up for £20 and hacksawed a wider hole for easier finger access.

Also, your first month with the packpack will be a pain, as you use loads of water scrubbing frames and stuff.  Once you get past that, you should be able to do at least four semis on one fill (cleaning tops only).

neil100

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:57:43 pm »
DRIP, DRIP, DRIP.

DO NOT USE HOZELOCK FITTINGS.

Get some connectors from Gardiner which are high pressure fittings and dont leak.

Heres a pic of mine with a gardiner connector on.

Nel

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:08:44 pm »
It looks good, but from experience, I think Unger poles go better with a back pack.

They're way lighter that fibre-glass too, but the beauty of them is, is that the hose is on the outside of the pole, giving you extra reach; therefore less moves of the backpack.

I also recommend you get one of those collapsable sack trucks to put your backpack on; it needs to have holes in the foot, so you can get at the button at the base of the back pack.  I picked mine up for £20 and hacksawed a wider hole for easier finger access.

Also, your first month with the packpack will be a pain, as you use loads of water scrubbing frames and stuff.  Once you get past that, you should be able to do at least four semis on one fill (cleaning tops only).

Hi Tosh, i have an Unger 9' (3 mtr) pole ive been thinking of using that for the low level windows.

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 10:15:06 pm »
BRETT and TOSH, and anyone else with a Backpack - do you guys use Hozelock connectors (i think Brett does?) do you get issues with them?

Many thanks

DC

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:43:26 pm »
I use hoselock - they seem ok. (But the male connectors are aluminium)
It's a game of three halves!

brett walker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:55:24 pm »
Hi David

yes i use hoselock connectors and had no problems, good to see you are up and running

keep us informed on how you get on

regards

Brett

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:36:29 pm »
I use gardiners pro hose connectors so much better than hozelock.

But no on my back pack as i have not got one

Paul