Karl Wheeler

Stained Glass is it a problem?
« on: May 28, 2006, 10:03:10 pm »
Hi Guys
I have been asked to quote window cleaning for an old chapel that has been converted in to residential flats. Some of the resident's flat windows are stained glass. I'm looking to sub-contract out to a wfp user because of the height. They have asked me is it possible to clean the stain glass windows. Have any of you that use wfp cleaned stained glass before? What results do you get? You're advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Karl

Ian_Giles

Re: Stained Glass is it a problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 10:40:30 pm »
With WFP stained glass comes up absolutely fine, the only thing you have to watch out for is leaking frames, if they are ancient windows care needs to be taken.

If they are in reasonable condition and don't leak like sieves then WFP will be ideal.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

JohnL

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 11:12:45 pm »
There is a possibility the windows have been worked on as it is a refurbed building, at which point if they have been done professionaly they should be sound. But of course they will still need handling with kid gloves.

get the owners/tenants to give you some information on this

JohnL

West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

gaza

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 01:40:24 am »
If its the old fashioned thick lead you may have a problem with water retention in the lead,meaning if they were previously cleaned trad method you may find that the lead has peeled back from the class, leaving a place for dirt and mucky water to gather,but plenty of rinsing and I mean rinsing.

I know this cus I do a pub with the old style lead in the windows.

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 06:27:30 am »
I have done a few churches, they come up as good as new, you just watch out for loose ones but they will take a good scrub if you are careful. Oh there are some out there that the stained glass affect has been painted on as in figure work or patches , usually on the inside, these do need care paticulary if your doing the insides

alpha

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 05:11:23 pm »
We  just did a first clean on a building with leaded windows over a  hundred years old. They came up fine, and the owner was really impresses, of course you will get some small amount of water finding its way through, but we found if you just brushed down the pain there was less water getting in and it didn't affect the qualityu of the job. Just take your time reduce the flow and happy brushing.

craig jwc

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 06:07:44 pm »
Check your PL Insurance some policies don't cover this in the event of accident