Moderator David@stives

Drying results with a higher tds
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:11:19 pm »
Has anyone else noticed the difference in how a window dries with different tds readings.
I have noticed a clear and defined difference.

As i stated in a previous thread ,one day i noticed some windows (Sheeting glass) drying different to how they normally would, the difference was only slight but enough for me to notice.
I thought something was wrong and thought "damn dont let it be my tds," and hoped it had not rose to high.

Anyhow i checked my tds and  it had crept up to 002 and i checked to see if the windows had dried clear and they had.

But i sensed the tds had crept up.

Here's what i saw  . As the windows dried i noticed the peaks and troughs were a lot longer than usual ,more like a capital W rather then the usual non capital w ,sorry its the best way i could describe it.
Also there were more peaks than usual and also the peaks were a lot steeper and sharper.

It sounds insignificant but i spotted it enough for me to test my tds which was only just over.

I think the solids in the water must of been clinging to the window and in turn the water clinging to the solids.

I think a higher tds makes the water more dense causing it to behave differently on the window.

The point i am making here is the windows were clean but i could tell my tds was rising.

Do we have any experts on here to explain a bit better or am i just bonkers.

Dave

jeff1

Re: Drying results with a higher tds
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:28:18 pm »
I don't do wfp yet!

But i bet a lot of wfp users, will keep an eye on there water behavior in the future.

Morph

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:34:35 pm »
I change my resin at 002.  First time in 7 months! 
I like it to be 000.  I definitely noticed a difference in results...Kind of as you described.  I was using more water to rinse once the tds changed.
I don't have a scientific explanation..More wwwwws' will do :o

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 06:20:09 pm »
Water can be used upto 015 before changing....if youve been told to change it when it goes over 000 then your resin supplier really knows how to make you line their pockets quicker

Morph

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 06:27:17 pm »
Water can be used upto 015 before changing....if youve been told to change it when it goes over 000 then your resin supplier really knows how to make you line their pockets quicker

He's not going to retire on my business is he? ;D
I changed mine about 3 weeks ago, first time in 7 months! ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:29:42 pm »
Easyclean
It is best to change your resin as soon as the tds starts to rise, once the tds starts to rise it rises rapidly. In my experience it can go from 0-50 in a matter of a couple of days so if you miss the crucial moment you will be cleaning windows with a very high tds.
I usually put my rising vessil in front of a fresh vessil ,but this is a waste of time as i usually have to remove it again within a week as the tds coming out of the rising vessil soon gets higher than the tds going in.

I have no ties to any manufacturer and i would recomend you change your resin as soon as the tds rises above 000.

You would be gutted if you went to work with a tds resin of 002 ,did a huge job then returned  home to find you had a tds reading of 50 or more.

No wonder some people get spots

Dave

matt

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:37:56 pm »
In my experience it can go from 0-50 in a matter of a couple of days so if you miss the crucial moment you will be cleaning windows with a very high tds.

mine has taken since before xmas to rise, it was 001 at xmas and its not 006 (which is what my RO puts out, thus the DI isnt doing anything)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:41:01 pm »

Mine has been fine at 005 for a while now.  I check it more regularly now it's started to climb though.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 06:41:46 pm »
Matt

I forgot to say i am di only hence i go to work with tap water and filter it on the go through a single di vessil as a lot of people do.

Using ro first is a sure fire way of keeping your tds down although a depleted resin vessil can soon release a lot higher tds than is actually going in.

Sorry i should of stated sooner ,i forget a lot of people are RO first.

I will try to remember in future.

Dave

abacus

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 09:59:11 pm »
hi
the main difference I notice is the speed of the clean and change mine as soon as its reached 003 as It slows me down and sometimes leaves stains lof bird s muck like small rings semi transparent but I look for the wwwws I try to keep a spare bag in stock as well as my reading once went very high from morning to afternoon very hard water but I use ro system.

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

pjulk

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:59:47 pm »
I always change my resin at 003 and have never noticed any differance in drying compare to 000.
But now you said about it i will keep an eye and see if i notice any differance in the way they dry.

Paul

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:57 pm »
Right ...i have been using wfp since 2003 and have used every way possible di/ro you name it ive tried it....

When i started i used resin only but as i built up my work i used more and more resin so i started to use an ro as well.

What im getting at is most resin suppliers will tell you that your resin will need changing as soon as it goes over 000 but "pure" water will still be ok upto 015.

Ok in your experience you say it rises quickly.......

i have a 700ltr tank and ive been able to get another 6000 litres more until it goes upto 015.

Which means another two weeks before you need to change it.

Once you have bought all your wfp equipment from the suppliers your only purchase from them will be resin.So in their best interest you are told to change it after 001.

700 ltr tank 10 days extra work upto 015 you make the money not them.

p.s when i first started without realising my tds was 365 and not one complaint?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 11:44:46 am »
Easyclean
I know what you are saying but for peace of mind i change mine as soon as it starts to creap up.
To me it just isnt worth the risk. Its like with trad i changed my rubber everday sometimes twice
a day.
In my business i like to eliminate every risk and a rising tds is one of them risks.
If say i check my tds on a monday and it says 001 i might forget to check it again for a week, then
when i remember it could be to late and i could have a situation like you with the 365 reading.
It happened to me once with a tds reading of about 40, and i got that horrible sinking feeling,
but i was lucky as it threw it down for the next few days.
I think the best advice for getting the most out of your resin is to sit your depleting bottle in
line with a new one.

Dave

dai

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:44:27 pm »
Its like with trad i changed my rubber everday sometimes twice
a day.
Dave it takes a couple of days for me to wear one in. I can never do as good a job with a brand new one. Always seem to need more detailing. Dai

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 08:44:38 am »
I've check the tds coming out the ro (after the resin) 5 times since Thursday. It was 007, 009, 010, 007 and 006.

Any ideas why it changes and would another resin cartridge get it down to zero? The resin being used is only about 2 weeks old.

Cheers

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 09:59:33 am »
I've check the tds coming out the ro (after the resin) 5 times since Thursday. It was 007, 009, 010, 007 and 006.

Any ideas why it changes and would another resin cartridge get it down to zero? The resin being used is only about 2 weeks old.

Cheers
Ross are you running some water through the Ro before it goes through the DI, when I turn my RO on the tds out can be up in the hundreds for a good few minutes, only found that out myself last week thanks to the forum, I only got about 200 ltrs from my resin from new before it started rising and was scratching my head for a while, thats proberly why your your readings vary too, when I'm taking tds readings I also rinse the glass that I use a couple of times in case any soap or salt residue is left after washing.  
Sussex by the sea

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:32:13 am »
Chris if you are getting a reading of 7-10 after the di resin , then it is on its way out
probably not doing any work at all.
You could be gettinng 7-10 just by the way of the RO and the resin is doing nothing.

Change your resin then see what your tds is. i only work with Zero.

Dave

chris@c.m.s

Re: Drying results with a higher tds New
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 02:56:43 pm »
Thanks David but its Ross that has the high tds, Mine went up to 001 soon after getting my ro up and running, but its been the same for a few weeks now after I started running the ro for a few mins before connecting the DI filter.
Sussex by the sea