007 or what

Varistream,
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:19:23 am »
What are the pro's and cons of having Varistream fitted, do i need one? I am thinking of making my own trolly system to go along with my van system (just for some awquard flats) i see that all trolly's bought come with a Varistream as standard do i need one?

JM123

Re: Varistream,
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:30:41 am »
Hi 007,no the varistream is not essential as such but they do make such a difference,especailly when the volume of water you can transport is restricted (trolly system).  I would strongly recommend fitting a varistream as it will save water, battery life and prolong the life of the pump.

Coincidentally I have a trolley system for sale,just built, unused, carries 2 x 30ltr barrels complete with battery, varistream, 18ft pole and RODI unit if required.

£450 without RO unit.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Tim Morton

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:33:07 am »
One pro of the varistream is that you can easily control the flow rate to the brush, and it also will shut off the pump when the flow is shut off.

Another pro is that it'll make your battery last loads longer. I use a 6L 100 psi shurflo pump and have worked for 7hrs from a 22Ah battery and still had power left.

The only con I can think about is that it costs!! But then having one will mean you can use a smaller capacity battery, therefore your trolly will be lighter and easier to lug around the place.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

mark dew

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:42:47 am »
The varistream isn't essential but it will pay for itself by saving me money on fuel costs alone.
I go most days with 250litres which is half what i was using without varistream.
Saving me a journey home to refill the tank again.
A good investment i think.

mark

Trevor Knight

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 12:00:02 pm »
Varistream are good but be carfeul if using with microbore hose. If you are going from hozelock into a microbore fixing the back pressure makes the pump intermittent.

With normal hozelock have found the varistream to be excellent.

regards,
Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:37:05 pm »
I think its well worth the money saves a lot of water and you don't have to fiddling either the pump going full blast or a bypass valve which i never got on with each to their own i suppose.!

JM123

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:53 pm »
with trolley systems it really doesn't matter whether or not you use microbore as the the length of hose youwill be using is so short,but definitely a valid point if working from a va or trailer, the varistream needs to be reset (using the var/res) inside.  Also with many pumps the pressure switch needs adjusted also.  However like I said before, with a trolley system it usually doesn't matter if you are using microbore. 

Ballymena N.I

jon adams

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:18:20 pm »
 HI, IM changing over to a 8mm internal diameter pipe, how much will i need to adjust my varistream?
                 many thanx
                                     Jon

JM123

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:53:08 pm »
Hi jon, how many metres of 8mm do you intend to use, also what is the pressure switch setting on your pump? (60psi, 75psi,100psi????)

Ballymena N.I

Trevor Knight

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 01:36:06 pm »
Hi Jon,

just be careful mate, all i hear about is the small diameter puts added pressure on your varistream and pump and makes the pump intermittent in operation. I am not 100% sure but believe you should use microbore only without varistream controllers.

Maybe other members can advise if different.

Regards,

Trev

JM123

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:45:06 pm »
The varistream has to be reset to use with microbore.  If you were to connect the varistream up and run the pump without reseting the varistream you would hear the pressure switch turning on and off if your pressure switch is set too low  - with the systems I have built (everyone using microbore) I have turned the internal var/res up to I and made sure the pressure switch is set between 90 and 100psi.

If you are really stuck then the best thing to do is ring williamson pumps and ask to speak to Dominic.

Other than that you are more than welcome to email me j.mills175@btinternet.com

Ballymena N.I

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:04:59 pm »
I am running a variestream on setting "f" and using 100 metres of microbore with no problems at all,  i get a water delivery of 1.5 lpm with the dial turend to 3/4 setting

Dave

JM123

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 02:21:14 am »
Hi david you must be running a 100psi pump?

Ballymena N.I

Trevor Knight

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 08:09:19 am »
Ok, need to ask this  ???

How do you adjust these settings I / F etc... how do I go about doing this?

regards,  Trev

dai

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 10:47:33 am »
Trev, remove the screws that you see on the front of the casing, the front will now come away, inside you will find a small dial. This you adjust with a small screw driver.
Dai

Trevor Knight

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 11:04:50 am »
Cheers Dai, nice one  ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:25:33 am »
Yes i am running a shureflo 100psi with an unrestricted  max flow rate of 3.5 lpm.

The plastic screw is blue you cant miss it

welmac

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 02:13:54 pm »
we use varistream controllers on all our systems. we use 8mm diameter hose on the hose reels (80mtrs).

if the varistream does "cycle" due to too much pressure build up, then the blue internal screw can be adjusted as needed.

however do not over adjust this as it could result in you getting an early shower!!!!  ;)

WELMAC