D.Salkeld_Ltd

TDS up a tig??????????
« on: May 17, 2006, 07:58:28 pm »
Now then Folks,

I have got a niggly little problem with my filtre setup.

It's a RO Man 100gpd RO and 3 pre filtres with a 750ml DI polisher.

I use about 100ltr per day and it produces that in less than 24hrs so it stops on the Auto shut off.
When it starts up again the TDS goes up to about 003 - 005?. 
It does go down after about a bucket full has gone through but is now 001. 
I have changed the resin only last week.  Then it was 000.
 Why does it do it and what can I do to get round it...........I WANT 000 ALL the Time!! (please!)

Thanks

David Salkeld
Not Perfect - But Honest

marc al

Re: TDS up a tig??????????
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:04:31 pm »
  David

The TDS goes up as your resin starts to become spent, a 750ml DI canister s fairly small and therefore will start to creep up fairly quickly. All RO's will start to produce water at a higher rate when first switched on, but rapidly drops as they get going.
   Don't worry about your tds being zero all the time, you will have no problems at all if you keep it below 10, I personally change mine when it gets to about 12/13 ppm and have never had any problems.

Marc

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:10:31 pm »
Not too worried about it.  001 - 003 in my barrels is OK.

The RO is apparently producing 000, according to the inline meter

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

stuart howes

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:13:17 pm »
I HAVE THE SAME SET UP AS YOU  THE THING I WAS TOLD WAS     TAKE THE PIPE OFF FROM THE DI WHEN YOU FLUSH AS YOU STILL GET SOME WATER FROM THE FLUSH ,DOWN THE RO TUBE THEN THAT HIGH TDS FLUSH WATER GOES INTO THE RESIN     SO USING IT UP A LOT FASTER   THIS MAY HELP    I HOPE    STU  PS IS IT RAINING  IT JUST WONT STOP IN SOUTHEND ON SEA ;)

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
I also have the same setup as you David only had it up and running about 10 days from my ro I have been consistantly getting 6 ppm I had 000 tds after resin for about 300l but I'm now getting 1 ppm I would rather have 000 but then the tds meters are only accurate up to -2- +2 tds I think. 
Sussex by the sea

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 10:24:16 pm »
Yup - when you start up the R/O take off the feed from the r/O to the resin chamber for a couple of minutes and then reconnect. I've got an in line tds meter which reads the point just after the R/O and then just after the d/i resin.

My tap water starts at about 400 tds and after the R/O it drops within ten seconds down to about 60 and then takes about another minute to get to about 007 - 005 - at that point I reconnect the R/O pipe to the DI and it comes out at 000. After a couple of weeks its 001 then another week its 002 and by the end of the month 005 when I change the resin (1 litre chamber which takes about 500ml resin which I spoon into an internal plastic tube.)

If I don't let the R/O run for a minute or two then I will eat resin much faster due to the high initial tds reading.
It's a game of three halves!

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:12:18 pm »
Yup - when you start up the R/O take off the feed from the r/O to the resin chamber for a couple of minutes and then reconnect. I've got an in line tds meter which reads the point just after the R/O and then just after the d/i resin.

My tap water starts at about 400 tds and after the R/O it drops within ten seconds down to about 60 and then takes about another minute to get to about 007 - 005 - at that point I reconnect the R/O pipe to the DI and it comes out at 000. After a couple of weeks its 001 then another week its 002 and by the end of the month 005 when I change the resin (1 litre chamber which takes about 500ml resin which I sthingy into an internal plastic tube.)

If I don't let the R/O run for a minute or two then I will eat resin much faster due to the high initial tds reading.
Thanks for that you've just answered why my tds was rising so quickly Hadnt run my ro all day tried what you said and the tds was high for about 5 mins after first running it. 
Sussex by the sea

Ian_Giles

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 08:37:00 am »
Yep, every time you turn on your tap, take the feed off that leads to your resin chamber.
I let mine run for 5 or ten minutes (or all day if I forget to engage my brain and re-connect the feed :-\) and have a little shot glass out by my setup where I check to make sure the TDS reading is down around 0.001-0.003 ppm.

Every few days I flush the membranes too.

On my system, which I am sure is identical to the RO man one, to flush the membranes I just take out the waste feed.
I'm told this removes all the  back pressure that the membranes need to have the water forced through them to work, this means the membranes get flushed instead.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:39:11 am »
After every fill I pump pure water through the RO. I have had it about 10 months and the TDS in the tanks (pre DI on my system) is still reading zero. Tap water is about 120.

Open the waste water restrictor fully (removes back pressure from the membrain)

Connect pure water hose to the inlet connection, switch on pump and run until the waste TDS is zero.

Mick

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:34:45 pm »
Thanks Guys,

With your help and a bit of experimenting I have come up with a solution.

1. First, before filling up barrels from tanks.  Remove feed to DI from RO and Feed out of DI to Tanks and drain into 2 buckets
2. Turn on flush for RO
3.  Fill one 30ltr Barrel (takes 5 mins)
4.  Turn of Flush
5.  Fill another barrel (5 mins)
6. Check TDS on DI inlet (out of RO).  If down to below 005 then fit pipe onto DI.
7.  Fill another barrel (5 Mins)
8.  Check TDS out of DI.  If 000 - 001.  Fit outlet pipe to Tank and away you go!

This method flushes and drains all stagnent water from the RO and DI and then the system is running properly and at its optimum.

Thanks

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

JM123

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:37:33 pm »
30ltr barrel takes 5 mins??  What are you using?? Twin 4040 pumped??
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 10:27:44 pm »
No, no, no

I mean fill from the storage tank via a 12ltr/min caravan submerable pump I also use to fill the backpack from the 30ltr barrels on the trailer

David Salkeld
Not Perfect - But Honest

JM123

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 01:01:19 am »
oh right sorry - I was about to say its no wonder there's a water shortage with D.Salkfield draining it all away!!!!

Ballymena N.I

JM123

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 01:02:10 am »
sorry that should read D.Salkeld_LTD

Ballymena N.I