C.C.S.

leisure battery ,split charge
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:29:30 pm »
Hi.
I've been having some issues with my leisure battery in the van lately .It's been losing charge quicker than usual.I run 3 pumps (  2 trolleys and 1 for the filtration system) and 2 electric reels . the battery has a split relay charge .My van battery was also on it's way out as on colder mornings they're was a beep from the alarm when starting .
I've changed the van battery today and noticed the pump for the filtration system  in the van running more vigorous and also the tank filled quicker . Si I'm guessing by the looks of it that  they run together rather than van battery for the van and leisure battery for the system .
Is this right or not as I'm confused ?I'll give it a few more days to see how the leisure battery runs during the day as I've got a new  one lined up.

Don Kee

Re: leisure battery ,split charge
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:45:58 pm »
Split chargers tend to ensure the van battery gets its charge before charging the auxiliary.
(I believe they don’t send charge to the aux battery until the van battery has a minimum of 80% charge, don’t hold me to that figure though)

It’s likely your old van battery wasn’t holding charge for very long and so the split charger wasn’t letting much charge to the leisure battery as it was prioritising the van battery having enough charge first.

Your new van battery will now be holding charge and so the SCR will now be able to focus on charging the leisure battery and so in theory your leisure battery will now be getting a sufficient charge, hence more pump “power”.

Slacky

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 08:41:29 pm »
Excuse me this is a window cleaning forum. We talk about the flu here.

Don Kee

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:13:19 pm »
Sorry, I mean your last battery may have had Covid - 19, maybe if it self isolates for 7 or 14 days (we’re not sure which), it may start running ok again.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 09:25:11 pm »
Hi.
I've been having some issues with my leisure battery in the van lately .It's been losing charge quicker than usual.I run 3 pumps (  2 trolleys and 1 for the filtration system) and 2 electric reels . the battery has a split relay charge .My van battery was also on it's way out as on colder mornings they're was a beep from the alarm when starting .
I've changed the van battery today and noticed the pump for the filtration system  in the van running more vigorous and also the tank filled quicker . Si I'm guessing by the looks of it that  they run together rather than van battery for the van and leisure battery for the system .
Is this right or not as I'm confused ?I'll give it a few more days to see how the leisure battery runs during the day as I've got a new  one lined up.

All I can say is poor leisure battery.  ;D

A split charge relay is also called a battery isolator. Its a switch that 'joins' or connects the batteries together when the engine is running and disconnects them when you switch the engine off.

If the pump runs better with the new starter battery then an educated guess would be that the pump is drawing current from the starter battery. But the only way to find out is to follow the power cables back to source and see where they connect to.
Anything on the starter battery side of the SCR will draw its current from the starter battery. Everything connected after the SCR (before the leisure battery)  will drawn current from the leisure battery.

If the pump runs better when the engine is running, the pump is being supplied additional power/voltage by the alternator.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

CleanClear

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:20:20 pm »
Hi.

Hope you do a lot of driving and charging from external chargers. Thats a big ask from a split charge relay.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

C.C.S.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:04 am »
Hi.

Hope you do a lot of driving and charging from external chargers. Thats a big ask from a split charge relay.
Somewhere between 15 -45 miles so not that many but I charge my battery every night  from 5pm-8pm and all weekends when not in use. But the leisure battery I think it's on its way out as it's around 3-4 years and I'll upgrade to gel battery and also the charger from 5A to 20A

C.C.S.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 09:30:37 am »
Excuse me this is a window cleaning forum. We talk about the flu here.

I'm trying to focus on work at the moment as much as I can while we ca still do it . I spend around £1000 on supplies recently( batteries, resin ,new pole ,new hoses  egg ) . You probably think I'm mad but trying to stay calm and carry on as usual.  They only panic I see is when I turn on the TV.

We should probably have a dedicated section for Corona Virus on this forum as it's driving me mad .