tonyoliver

Re: Travel time and total price for clean.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 11:32:56 pm »
you know your man but they have a habbit of getting you to run here there and everywhere and the when you cant make an impossible deadline like liverpool by six and its 400 miles away he will drop you and find another fool..................................i was that fool once
 a bird in the hand is worth a bird in the handno more take it as it comes and enjoy the ride it is what makes this job what it is but do n ot get sucked in
jus enjoy the ride

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 11:38:54 pm »
Talking about my little job I thought it would take 1.5 hrs. I looked but only briefly and didn't go inside. Basically the builder wanted me to finish the job off for him and told her things like it was quite normal for wcH to get all the cement off the back door where he had screeded the floor. Also I was to get the finish between plaster and frame. He even offered me the use of some of his tools.

He lives near me, and I do his windows too, but for all his talk about me being there over four hours for eighty pounds, this guys got a porshe, so it's one rule for everyone else and another for himself.He has a labourer who works for him for ten pounds an hour and thats what he tried to manipulate me into.

Back to Tim, I think the customer sees a bigger picture, and even the money tim is charging is laughable to the figures and importance of what's involved.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 11:42:01 pm »
you know your man but they have a habbit of getting you to run here there and everywhere and the when you cant make an impossible deadline like liverpool by six and its 400 miles away he will drop you and find another fool..................................i was that fool once
 a bird in the hand is worth a bird in the handno more take it as it comes and enjoy the ride it is what makes this job what it is but do n ot get sucked in
jus enjoy the ride

True, I won't put all my eggs into that basket though, don't worry, I need the money, if they pay for it, fine, I've got a couple of empty days in my schedule which I would love to fill with things like this.

Talking about my little job I thought it would take 1.5 hrs. I looked but only briefly and didn't go inside. Basically the builder wanted me to finish the job off for him and told her things like it was quite normal for wcH to get all the cement off the back door where he had screeded the floor. Also I was to get the finish between plaster and frame. He even offered me the use of some of his tools.

He lives near me, and I do his windows too, but for all his talk about me being there over four hours for eighty pounds, this guys got a porshe, so it's one rule for everyone else and another for himself.He has a labourer who works for him for ten pounds an hour and thats what he tried to manipulate me into.

Back to Tim, I think the customer sees a bigger picture, and even the money tim is charging is laughable to the figures and importance of what's involved.

Wow, that's crazy that he wanted you to do it, I think you're right about my customer though, for him it's very important, I mean, he's selling a what? 3 story house in London, 2 million if your lucky, if he can get the placed superclean, with all the windows sparkling, he'll be able to tenfold my price on top of the value of the house easily.

simon knight

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 06:49:02 am »

Obviously I don't know where abouts in London these 2 houses are but consider also the parking situation and congestion charge. Also if the properties have no off-street parking (which in London is 90% of the time) and you have to park in a nearby street how you going to use wfp?  Have you seen the properties?

simon knight

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 07:05:01 am »

I would add also that if it's central london parking can be £4ph and restrictions as to how long you can stay there...in some places it's 2 hours max.

Londoner

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 07:15:47 am »
A lot of places there is no on street parking at all. I would definitely find out where these houses are. You may need someone to go with you to drive around while you do the cleaning. Thats why the WCs in London are out at 5am.

simon knight

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 07:17:56 am »
A lot of places there is no on street parking at all. I would definitely find out where these houses are. You may need someone to go with you to drive around while you do the cleaning. Thats why the WCs in London are out at 5am.

The local boys have probably been approached and said thanks but no thanks!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 07:25:03 am »
Look, you've dealt with this guy and he's come up trumps - you want more of what he has in the way of work - great.

Think of the potential but the "bird in the hand" comment is valid too.

And "you've a couple of days spare in your schedule" means that taking a punt isn't going to damage your work schedule.

If I can earn £XXX in the same door to door time on my own work then I'd work on that, add a reasonable % for inconvenience, add on all my travel and parking costs, leave home really early (light mornings now) like 5 am to beat the traffic, get stuck in.

I love the feeling of getting started at 6 am once in a while and hitting three figures by 9 am and coasting to a really good day ...

Treat it as a bit of an adventure and if more good stuff comes from it fantastic - if not, well you've been paid and gained experience.

Edited to remove last half sentence posted in error... ::)
It's a game of three halves!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 08:13:11 am »

Obviously I don't know where abouts in London these 2 houses are but consider also the parking situation and congestion charge. Also if the properties have no off-street parking (which in London is 90% of the time) and you have to park in a nearby street how you going to use wfp?  Have you seen the properties?

That's the first thing I asked, it's a quiet street with parking, and they've got their own garage as well.

Look, you've dealt with this guy and he's come up trumps - you want more of what he has in the way of work - great.

Think of the potential but the "bird in the hand" comment is valid too.

And "you've a couple of days spare in your schedule" means that taking a punt isn't going to damage your work schedule.

If I can earn £XXX in the same door to door time on my own work then I'd work on that, add a reasonable % for inconvenience, add on all my travel and parking costs, leave home really early (light mornings now) like 5 am to beat the traffic, get stuck in.

I love the feeling of getting started at 6 am once in a while and hitting three figures by 9 am and coasting to a really good day ...

Treat it as a bit of an adventure and if more good stuff comes from it fantastic - if not, well you've been paid and gained experience.

If one of you guys asked me to work for

Good points, I won't charge £50 or £60 I think, because on average, you might hit that when your working on a house, but over the day you won't get that.

I'll charge a good price, perhaps £45 an hour for driving, then £50 or 60 for first cleans.

Thanks guys, appreciated your comments.

simon knight

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 08:26:54 am »

That's the first thing I asked, it's a quiet street with parking, and they've got their own garage as well.

It seems you're keen to do it...so why not?  It's one of those suck it and see situations.

Good luck to you.

DO NOT forget to pay the congestion charge or the b'stards fine you £120.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 08:31:24 am »
This Guy obviously want you to do the job. He wants the job done quickly and he wants it done well.

In my mind that means he will be prepared to pay for a premium service. He knows that you will have to travel to them, but he is prepared for this instead of the hassle of getting someone else local to do it that he doesn't know.

There is no point in undercharging for your time in the hope of more work. If you charge a fair price for the total time taken then you will be happy and I'm sure that he will be happy. I would imagine that he will never even look at the price just the quality and promptness of the job.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 11:27:30 am »
Yea I think so too Alex, his Secretary always handles the payments, I don't think he ever thinks about it.

(Thanks for your advice yesterday on the phone Alex, it's G.Q.C W1ndow Clean1ng, changed my forum name)

;)  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 11:38:32 am »
His secretary just replied that congestion charge will have to be paid, and  - and added to our bill:) she said, gotta arrange that now then. Hmm.....how do I do that then....

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 11:50:12 am »
Okay, done that, easily done on the tfl website. Great.

Will provide them with the necessary health and safety documents just to be certain, and then clean some windows! :D

Joe Lauzon

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 02:26:24 pm »
I enjoyed your story Discount.  When dealing with that sector I tend to be absolutely ruthless these days.  You give an inch they take a mile.  The moment there is even a hint of taking the p I jump on it.

I was doing a front for a printing firm the other day, 15 quid for about 25 mins work.  Go inside to collect from the receptionist..."couldn't just do that (interior) door could you".  From experience you do it once, they then expect it, then there will be another door...

I said ok, that will be 17 altogether  :)  She couldn't be bothered to clear it, so it didn't get done.

I have found a few decent jobs ruined by being kind, give an inch they take a mile.