[GQC] Tim

Two sides of Unger Microfibre.
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:37:22 am »
What's up with that? Now that my Unger cloths are getting older, one side doesn't dry the glass as good as the other side, because it's got a different pattern on each side.

Can anyone explain me why that is? I know it's called flat weave or something along those lines, but why have a side on there that imo isn't as good as the other side, is one side for polishing, and the other one for drying or something?

Count Phil

Re: Two sides of Unger Microfibre.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »
The're crap.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:54:26 pm »
How does that answer the question.

Count Phil

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:02:50 pm »
It means get something else.

You just end up using the rough side. Although they're good for leaded.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:17:10 pm »
I have always used the unger microfibre and think its great.
Certainly not crap ::)

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Ian W

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »
I have always used the unger microfibre and think its great.
Certainly not crap ::)

Bob

Me too. But I haven't noticed any great difference in the qualities of the 2 sides.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

niceandclean

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:57:42 pm »
I also dont like the Unger, best i have found is SYR.

Kev R

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »
I love the unger cloths.

Most window cleaners use their cloths incorrectly anyway. If you use the microfiber correctly you would only use two cloths for a days trad work.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »
I have also found that unger micros are better on the fibre side on glass, my guess would be the microfibre side is for soaking water and the other for polishing.

when I do trad I use as many cloths as needed for the day, sometimes it can be one and a sill cloth (scrim) or could be 10 I dont worry about getting through the day trying to use 1 or 2 I just go through the work as quick as possible doing as good as job as can be done.

Ian

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 04:48:13 pm »
When I was trad I would use 3-4 cloths per day. 2 for glass and 1-2 for frames. I used a tight weave for glass and a more bobbly weave for the frames. The frames ones would be kept damp on purpose, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Kev R

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 04:53:39 pm »
When I was trad I would use 3-4 cloths per day. 2 for glass and 1-2 for frames. I used a tight weave for glass and a more bobbly weave for the frames. The frames ones would be kept damp on purpose, Luke

I was talking glass only so 2 cloths max much like you.
I have also found that unger micros are better on the fibre side on glass, my guess would be the microfibre side is for soaking water and the other for polishing.

when I do trad I use as many cloths as needed for the day, sometimes it can be one and a sill cloth (scrim) or could be 10 I dont worry about getting through the day trying to use 1 or 2 I just go through the work as quick as possible doing as good as job as can be done.

Ian

I also dont limit my cloths, but if you clean the window correctly, detailing is kept to an absolute minimum so two cloths should do it.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 05:20:03 pm »

I also dont limit my cloths, but if you clean the window correctly, detailing is kept to an absolute minimum so two cloths should do it.

I agree, but this also depends on the amount of work you do in a day also.

Ian

Kev R

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:24:52 pm »
I do a hotel inside it takes 8 hours - two cloths  ;)

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
I do a hotel inside it takes 8 hours - two cloths  ;)
Well done saves on the washing I guess  ;)

Kev R

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:37:45 pm »
If you dog ear the squegee a bit, use a good solution like GG3 there really is not much left to do. I use the unger microfiber for the odd mistake or run thats all.

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 06:43:24 pm »
If you dog ear the squegee a bit, use a good solution like GG3 there really is not much left to do. I use the unger microfiber for the odd mistake or run thats all.
dog earing works well, gg4 and pure water

Kev R

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:53:42 pm »
I do like the soft water approach when there is no alternative, but I much prefer a nice bucket of hot tap water. If I had a hot wfp system I guess I would use that. I find heat helps with breaking down of grease and saves scrubbing so much, but if the windows are clean,  cold pure water and gg3 (i live in a soft water area) is fine.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 07:41:32 pm »
How do you dog ear a rubber?

Re: Two sides of Unger Microfibre. New
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »
How do you dog ear a rubber?
not the rubber it is the channel, 45degre nip on the ends towards the rubber

pair of pliers bent in a bit a little like this [ but only 45degree I would say.