Alex Gardiner

Re: The OFFICIAL SL-X Review Thread.
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:46 pm »
If the brush is wrong how long will it be before you get the new batch,it shouldn`t take them long if they only have to use a different material ie bristle should it.

Knowing my track record I am not going to say how long- If I say a figure you need to double it add 4 x it by the square root of something and then you still do not know.  ;D

The clamps look like the ones on the saddle stem of my mountain bike. Are they alloy please?

That's exactly the sort of clamp they are and they are made of alloy, which is why they are so light compared to plastic clamps. I have 'crash-tested' them at 35mph (twice!) and they still perform perfectly.

NWH

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 08:58:23 pm »
If the brush is wrong how long will it be before you get the new batch,it shouldn`t take them long if they only have to use a different material ie bristle should it.

Knowing my track record I am not going to say how long- If I say a figure you need to double it add 4 x it by the square root of something and then you still do not know.  ;D

The clamps look like the ones on the saddle stem of my mountain bike. Are they alloy please?

That's exactly the sort of clamp they are and they are made of alloy, which is why they are so light compared to plastic clamps. I have 'crash-tested' them at 35mph (twice!) and they still perform perfectly.
Do you mean you drove over them,by the way Alex i would had 1 of those brushes even though they were wrong.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »
Alex

How are they secured to the carbon? are they glued, screwed or something else &
do they become loose ie departed from the pole when undone?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:02 pm »
Alex

Bonded on so they stay well in place.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 09:13:38 pm »
Alex

Alex, if the clamps are supposed to be at the bottom, why are the decals then upside down? I'm confused. lol I find it easier with the clamps on the top but still.

So where is all the feedback, surely if I received it today, where are the rest of the people? Are you not happy with it?  ;D

I just can't believe how well it works at 17' it's like it's a broomstick, seriously. Bam, up down, side to side. No energy wasted whatsoever!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 09:20:35 pm »
Alex

Alex, if the clamps are supposed to be at the bottom, why are the decals then upside down? I'm confused. lol I find it easier with the clamps on the top but still.

So where is all the feedback, surely if I received it today, where are the rest of the people? Are you not happy with it?  ;D

The clamps are at the top of the pole sections of course  ;D, the handle starts on the underside of each section though, perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.  :)

Believe it or not a lot of our clients have never heard of this forum! amazing really. About 50% of the pole reservation have come from non-internet clients.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 09:28:19 pm »
Alex

The clamps are at the top of the pole sections of course  ;D, the handle starts on the underside of each section though, perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough.  :)

Believe it or not a lot of our clients have never heard of this forum! amazing really. About 50% of the pole reservation have come from non-internet clients.

Aah, I get it now hehe.

That is weird tho, that so many reservations came from non internet clients. You guys must have your contacts. :)

I totally forgot to congratulate you Alex, for bringing the best 25' pole to the market. It's absolutely fantastic. Now three extra sections to put it up to 45' and that will make the best telescopic pole (just kidding).

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:03 pm »
One thing I have noticed is the clamp bolts keep coming loose.

I used the loc-tite tonight to see if that helps.

Alex

Are there a plan to get updated nuts,ie the ones with the fibre or rubber which acts as a locking nut. I think that would be a major improvement.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:59 pm »
One thing I have noticed is the clamp bolts keep coming loose.

I used the loc-tite tonight to see if that helps.

Alex

Are there a plan to get updated nuts,ie the ones with the fibre or rubber which acts as a locking nut. I think that would be a major improvement.

We did look at this option, but very difficult to engineer in the bolt bar. We found that the Loctite solution works very well. Shame you have needed to re-apply so soon.

poles apart

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 10:10:19 pm »
Had mine today but it was broken in transit!

jaykie

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 10:14:24 pm »
Youve got the right name then poles apart lol

Chris

dudek

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 10:15:37 pm »
I recieved the pole today and i must say i am very impressed with the pole i can see what the problem is with this brush whch will be sent back tomorrow morning.

I took the 12" off of my ionics pole and they are virtually identical but the sl one is mickey mouse in comparison.

Will post my thoughts tomo eve.

*foxman

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:02 pm »
Oh dear.  Day two - so far dodgy clamps, a teeny bit fragile and comes complete with a knackered brush. Cant wait till the end of the week!

Feel sorry for Alex, this pole has been hyped up far too much before it's even been used.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »
Oh dear.  Day two - so far dodgy clamps, a teeny bit fragile and comes complete with a knackered brush. Cant wait till the end of the week!

Feel sorry for Alex, this pole has been hyped up far too much before it's even been used.

Foxman, it's a great pole, I don't have problems with the clamps. And it's not fragile whatsoever. Brush isn't knackered, it's the factory's fault of supplying the wrong bristles.

*foxman

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 10:49:28 pm »
Having a bit of fun thats all. ;D

It must be a bit fragile for it to break in transit. I wasn't referring to you talking about the clamps that was someone else, but now you come to mention it......

I'm just summarising some of the reviews, isn't this what this thread is supposed to be about (which you started)? Or do all reviews have to be rose tinted and unrealistic for them to be included?

The Seven Bays Window Cleaning Company

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:25 pm »
Having a bit of fun thats all. ;D

It must be a bit fragile for it to break in transit. I wasn't referring to you talking about the clamps that was someone else, but now you come to mention it......

I'm just summarising some of the reviews, isn't this what this thread is supposed to be about (which you started)? Or do all reviews have to be rose tinted and unrealistic for them to be included?

errr... excuse me. I do not consider my review  ' rose tinted ' at all.  >:(
THE SEVEN BAYS WINDOW CLEANING COMPANY

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:39 pm »
Having a bit of fun thats all.

Not at all, but you don't have to beat down a pole simply because you haven't even used it, buy one, share your opinion, but for now, don't diss it until you've used it. As for the breaking, you'd be surprised what can be broken in transit. Talk to UPS about that. ;)

*foxman

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 10:58:20 pm »
errr... excuse me. I do not consider my review  ' rose tinted ' at all.  >:(

You're excused.  I didn't consider your review rose tinted either.  So I'm going to do this as well  >:(

Ian_Giles

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 06:36:29 am »
]Careful please, debate is good, but not if it gets acrimonious.

In transit goods can be appallingly mistreated, and an ultra lightweight pole is always going to have this kind of problem. Were it possible to make something this light and rigid out of something such as Aluminium then it would get dented and bent in transit.

I've the SL-2 so I'm well aware of the difference between using a lightweight pole and a heavyweight pole, once you have adapted to the lightness and rigidity there is no way you will want to go back to a heavy pole.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:02 am »
As to the fragility of the SL-X, it is a very strong pole and can easily be stood on all sections. I am very eager to see the damage to the pole when the couriers re-deliver it to us.  Apparently the bottom section has been crushed. In my opinion, having used these poles for a year, something as heavy as a van must have driven over the tube (yes this has happened before with courier firms).