[GQC] Tim

Hook up battery to varistream. What connectors
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:18:52 am »
I have no idea what to use to join the wire coming from the Varistream to the battery, and also at the same time, accept the wire from the split charger.

I really want to do everything myself (except fitting the tank) but I could use some help. I'm no electrician or car mechanic. Do you just use normal clamps that you use for the car battery or.....?

Thanks.

[GQC] Tim

Re: Hook up battery to varistream. What connectors
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:17 am »
No one?  :)

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
i just use crocodile clips then just connect up to my battery when i want to use , i dont use a split relay but even if i was i would still connect the same way .
where theres muck theres money

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:35 pm »
I want to have something more permanent then crocodile clips. Any idea's? So many wfp'ers, no answer. lol

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 12:59:25 pm »
Ah that looks great! Thanks Roy.

Can you just hook up the positive lead from the splitcharger to the same clamp?

What happens if you leave the engine running, thus charging, while at the same time using the system?

Roy Harding

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »
Quote from: G.Q.C W1ndow Clean1ng
Can you just hook up the positive lead from the splitcharger to the same clamp?
[quote

Yes you can connect the split charge straight to the battery, but you must have a wire going fron the - negative pole of the battery to the body to earth it.

What happens if you leave the engine running, thus charging, while at the same time using the system?

Nothing happens at all, it will just keep charging.

Roy

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
I understand the need of an earth, I guess just screwing it to the van's wheelarches or something like that?

Also, I don't understand how the current can flow (when the engine is running) to basically the same wire as the pump (same clamp), but still charge the battery. Does it not go straight from the split charge to the pump, powering it? That''s kind of strange.

Thanks again.

Roy Harding

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 01:30:13 pm »
The piont of a split charge relay is to charge a second battery. When the car or van battery is fully charged it diverts the charge to the second battery and charges it up.

It is the second battery that powers the pump and varistram.

Roy

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 01:37:28 pm »
Yea, I understand that, but regarding the second battery, a lead comes from the split charger, to the second battery, and if the van runs, it thus sends a charge to the second battery, the wire basically connects to the pump aswell. So doesn't the charge go to your pump instead of the battery whilst running the engine?

It looked like you said, from split charger it goes to the second battery, charging the battery, and then the battery powers the pump, but how is that possible if your using one battery pole, and two wires connecting to that. (One to pump, and one from the split charger to the pole)

Sorry Roy, perhaps I can't explain it properly.

Roy Harding

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 03:42:12 pm »
Put it like this.  The second battery runs your pumps, all the split charge relay does is trickle charge the battery, as it does not produce enough power to run a pump on its own.

So some dont even bother with split charge relay at all, they take the battery off once a week and charge it.

Roy

Roy Harding

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 03:43:50 pm »
See the wiring diagram here.

http://www.williamsonpumps.com/VARISTREAM.html

Roy

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:28:34 pm »
Thanks a lot Roy, helped me a great deal. :)