[GQC] Tim

How high will the SL-X go?
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:11:58 pm »
Being trad still, I'm really wondering if somebody can give me a picture as to how high of a property a 25ft pole will be able to clean? And preferably aswell with the 5ft extension (30ft).

I'm really wondering which houses I can canvass, some of them are 2 story, but really high. Some of them are two story, but with a set back dormer window. I'm pretty sure they are not done by any trad window cleaner, so I can get quite a few houses if the pole is high enough.

Sorry for the question, but I don't have a clue.

Captain Scarlet

Re: How high will the SL-X go?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »
The sl-x is a 30ft reach pole with an extension section that can get it too 35ft
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
look at the thread "big quote" the top picture, middle top window. That is about 25ft, possibly slightly more, Luke

Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:20 pm »
I currently use the standard SL-X on all third storey work including those with high set-back Dormer Windows.

Here is a picture of one in use at 22ft extension (3ft still 'in-hand'):

It will even reach the occasional low fourth storey window.

tonylee

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:31:47 pm »
hi Alex
what is the closed lenght of the slx and would it still be a good pole with the vikran sill brush. I currently use Brodex preditor poles 18' 25' and a short 2' (not often) but would like to replace for a one size fits all (I know I'm asking a lot)
many thanks
tony

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:36:02 pm »
Your not asking alot Tony, this pole "should" have it all. Light, compact when closed ( small when closed ) durable, stiff etc tec, Luke

tonylee

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:40:24 pm »
got your name down for one Luke?
Tony

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:41:42 pm »
I will!!!! I dont really have a need just now for that sort of pole, but soon maybe, Luke

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »
hi Alex
what is the closed lenght of the slx and would it still be a good pole with the vikran sill brush. I currently use Brodex preditor poles 18' 25' and a short 2' (not often) but would like to replace for a one size fits all (I know I'm asking a lot)
many thanks
tony

I think that you are only asking what every one else is wanting (myself included). The SL-X weighs about 1/2kg less than your 18ft Predator pole. The pole is 5ft 7 inches when closed. The pole would be fine with the Vikan Sill brush, although that brush is a monster for weight! We are working on a lightweight Sill brush target weight 340g (Vikan 555g), but it will be at least 2 months before we will have made progress on that brush.

tonylee

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »
Thanks for that. I can wait.
Tony

tonylee

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:47:07 pm »
I will!!!! I dont really have a need just now for that sort of pole, but soon maybe, Luke
what poles do you use Luke.
tony

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 06:47:13 pm »
I'm confused. About English. (I'm not English) Do you say 1st floor to Groundfloor? Or...... because at 22ft on that pic your at 2nd floor, not third right? So with 3ft more. I don't see how that would reach 3rd floor. Unless your reaching quite high with your arms?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 06:49:20 pm »
The pole pictured is a 25ft pole ( 30ft reach with your arms and body height ), in the picture only 22ft of the pole is extended, Luke

The poled I use

2x xtels
1x 50ft super-lite 2

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:35 pm »
Groundfloor is where the front door is, first floor is the next level up and so on. Daft isn't it? ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 07:15:14 pm »
It is very confusing in English and also in window cleaner speak.

Technically gound floor is on the ground, 1st floor is the next up etc.

However when window cleaners talk they talk about 1st storey, 2nd storey etc.

In window cleaner language = 1st storey is ground, 2nd storey is 1st floor, 3rd storey is 2nd floor etc.

So when someone says a pole will reach all 3rd storey work they mean that it will reach 2nd floor work.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 07:17:20 pm »
Aaaaah, now that is incredibly confusing. haha

Now I do get it, I don't understand why Windowcleaners have to be difficult then? Is it because Tucker started it and they are American, and don't have Ground floor?

Hm, I think I should get the 5ft extension to give me that extra reach then.

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 07:19:20 pm »
Not forgetting the basement floor are we? ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 07:20:11 pm »
I think even Traditional window cleaners do it this way (or I always did). I think that it stems from having a work related viewpoint, the first storey is the first level of work to do etc.

Or it could have come across from the building trade, they refer to the first storey etc, because it is the first level they have to build.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 07:28:44 pm »
Okay, third floor is possible. With extension 4th hopefully.

Got it.

Would be nice if somebody could post a pic of another property. Just to get a feel for it. :)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 07:55:35 pm »
Will I be able to reach this for instance? ( I assume I can?) :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:43 pm »
Yes you will easily reach that window and probably 2-3ft higher with the standard pole.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:58 pm »
yes

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 08:02:38 pm »
I really wish I had some pics with me of some of the houses I ment. Hm, will get back to that I guess. :)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 08:05:31 pm »
Ah these dormer windows are very similar to the house I was talking about. Is this too high for it?  :)

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=51015.0

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 08:08:53 pm »
did you not see my post earlier:

look at the thread "big quote" the top picture, middle top window. That is about 25ft, possibly slightly more, Luke

Luke

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 08:11:44 pm »
did you not see my post earlier:

Luke

Missed it, very sorry Luke. Thanks a lot. :)

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2008, 08:12:47 pm »
its fine mate! So where are are you from originally? Luke

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2008, 08:13:32 pm »
The SL-X would probably just reach them. (I do one house like that with the SL-X and it is on full stretch, but it reaches)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2008, 08:19:20 pm »
its fine mate! So where are are you from originally? Luke

I'm Dutch. :)

This pole is going to be really nice then, should be able to reach just about anything Domestic.

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 08:22:18 pm »
So, hows it coming on Alex? any snippets of news? any further delays? February/ March?
Got any hair left?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 08:23:01 pm »
My Auntie lived in Amsterdam and had a friend who went over to Breda and did Window Cleaning, hes back here now. He told me not alot of people use the poles on domestic in Holland, Luke

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:45 pm »
Don't they use an S2 to cross over the d**es?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:40 pm »
nah because it hasnt got enough flex!!! Luke

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 08:28:38 pm »
Haha cool Luke.  ;D

Yea I didn't do window cleaning over there, so I can't comment, I know there are people who use it on domestic. Maybe not much, I dunno. :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 08:32:30 pm »
So, hows it coming on Alex? any snippets of news? any further delays? February/ March?
Got any hair left?

A little. Like blood out of a stone  >:(

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:33 pm »
 ;D frustrating isn't it? I suppose the bigger fish get priority at the factory. Ah well just got to keep my money in the fridge for a while longer.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 09:48:25 pm »
Alex

Regarding the poles rigidity, on your website it comes up trumps compared to all the other poles.  Can I ask how you tested it.  Did you compare all the poles extended with no brushes on or did they all have the same brush on or did all the poles have the brushes on that they would normally be supplied with, like the SL2 with a bently.

Simon.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 09:51:28 pm »
Alex, how easy will it be to replace clamps and pole sections when the need arises with this new SLX pole.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 10:09:35 pm »
Clamps will never need replacing. The sections can be replaced in about 1 minute with an Allen key.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
Alex

Regarding the poles rigidity, on your website it comes up trumps compared to all the other poles.  Can I ask how you tested it.  Did you compare all the poles extended with no brushes on or did they all have the same brush on or did all the poles have the brushes on that they would normally be supplied with, like the SL2 with a bently.

Simon.

This is what is on our website:

We have attempted to provide a numerical guide to the rigidity of the pole. This is based on a reversed % deviation from 0 degrees on a horizontal plane under zero load (bare pole assembly with no brush, gooseneck or hose fitted). All measurements were taken at 8.3m of extended length. The higher the percentage the stiffer the pole.

What this means is that we measured bare poles, on the horizontal fixed to two benches 80cm apart. The deviation off of true horizontal was then measured and expressed as a percentage of the theoretical real world maximum deviation.

I quite like the look of the test in PWC magazine, we just didn't have the facilities to do this at the time. A move into much larger premises next month will give us the ability to accurately conduct a test of 60ft+ poles indoors with an accurate measurement of the results, not just photos. If we do this I think that we will use a fixed weight on the end of each pole and no other fitments (hose etc).

Pj

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 10:25:42 pm »
YES YES YES

But when is my pole arriving???????????????????????????????????????

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 10:26:09 pm »
Thanks I should have looked more closely.  The pole looks really good though.

Simon.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 10:28:19 pm »
YES YES YES

??? >:( ??? >:( ??? >:( ??? >:( ???

Pj

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »
YES YES YES

??? >:( ??? >:( ??? >:( ??? >:( ???

So how am I meant to read this?

Does my impatience cause anger?

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 10:43:45 pm »
It means Alex wishes he new, and it makes him cross that he doesn't - yet. ;D

Pj

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »
Wow  I wish I knew orange faces properly             :-\