[GQC] Tim

Great, got rained off, local window cleaner mocking me.
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:46 am »
What a morning.

Started this house, was still dry, and by the time I was half done with the front it started raining, not so much to really soak me but still.

Then this local windowcleaner (never seen him before, he said he was from the village where I was working) stopped outside, think he had to go to the neighbors to deliver something or whatever, and he just stepped in my customers garden, and saying I was having a laugh working in this weather, asking if I was that desperate for cash. Couldn't believe it.

Stayed calm, and said it was dry when I started, he immediately said it had been raining for the last 20min (not true), and I was thinking what is his problem all up in my face. So I said, well sometimes if you want to be reliable you need to work in the rain, just had 2 weeks off (interrupted, well so did I!), still stayed calm. In the mean time he kicked my ladder stabilizer, 'oh you got one of these', and he just stood on the damn thing while I was talking to him. I was really like, dude, if you are gonna be funny with me you are gonna get it bigtime.

'well my customers know that I don't work in the rain'

I said, well my customers know that in order to be reliable, you need to work now and then in the rain. Maybe you should be here cleaning windows aswell.

'well aslong as you don't leave any smears ey!' while walking away.

I said, yea precisely. *good riddance.

Started raining harder, and by the time I got finished I was soaking, so am at home now. Started really early aswell, wanted to make it a nice long day.

I mean what was his problem?! Sheeeeesh......  :-\  >:(

bluez

Re: Great, got rained off, local window cleaner mocking me.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 10:25:42 am »
Dont let them get you down, put on the rain gear and get out there. Nothing wrong with working in the rain. next time tell him to mind his own business, and keep going. As he leaves ask him if he will give out some flyers to his customers for you....for a rainy day
hi

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:39 am »
Haha that's a good one, brilliant.

Yea I'm going out in a minute again I suppose, going to be dry after 12.

nat

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:01:24 am »
tell him to mind his own business!! i get on with local WC's but i wouldn't put up with one telling me how to run my business...i would simply say bugger off!!  ;)

Pole2pole

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 11:29:13 am »
Mate ya not alone. Took me an hour to get to work cos of f*ckin roadworks left right and centre. Waited in the van for 45 minutes. The rain stopped. Done half of one house and got drenched cos it started half way thru. Packed up,drove home(40 minutes) Now the sun's coming out to play. Someone up there has a sick sense of humour. Sooo peed off.  >:(

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:28 am »
Well I better go out again, getting drenched is bad, getting out again is the hardest thing. It's nice and warm here, and I just don't feel like it. But because of Christmas and End of the year, I'm behind like everyone else.

Dry now.

Pole2pole

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:45:53 am »
That's the spirit mate. Don't let the buggers grind you down  ;) Still undecided down in surrey. Lookin grey again.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:38:13 pm »
I work in the rain alot of the time, I would have said nothing and carried on, he is the one with the problem not you.

Maybe he didnt like it because you was in his area cleaning and earning money while he couldnt  :-\

Majestic

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:50:55 pm »
You should of told him that this is your only income , as you dont claim benifits and have to work

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:53:35 pm »
I would have put him on his arse. Sounds like he mugged you big time
P&R Window Cleaning

s.hughes

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
I only work in lightish rain and when it rained heavy here I just sat in the car. Had to do that 3 times but I managed to get most the work done.

Steve

mark.laycock1@ntlw

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:21 pm »
hi, as part from power washing i am a gardener. i get this my some of my customers the man over the road comes rain,hale, snow. why do nt you? some you explain why. so last year and this year you go the them . they turn around an said is nt to wet the garden? so you keep calm well am trying not to let you down. you canot win.
mark

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:26 pm »
Well went out again at 12, still managed to get £121. Not too bad!

I bet he didn't even bother to go out again. Needing the money or not, working is better then staying at home! :)

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 04:27:58 pm »
i was working in the rain today, i dont mind it, the strauss uniform is nice and waterproof. Another wfp window cleaner drove past me in his van, he had a good old look at me wfping lol, its funny.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 04:33:40 pm »
i was working in the rain today, i dont mind it, the strauss uniform is nice and waterproof. Another wfp window cleaner drove past me in his van, he had a good old look at me wfping lol, its funny.

Ah which one do you have? That black one?

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 04:47:56 pm »
i wear black struass work trousers, and the £80 quid set they do, i got navy blue & black  with free embroidery
the navy blue not light blue     
you get 2 polo 2 sweatshirts, 1 bodywarmer which is very good, and a jacket which is very warm. not bad for about £120.

Tosh

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:14:17 pm »
I often wish I had more 'balls' to clean windows in the rain.

I did an elderly folks complex on Friday 28th December and it started chucking down with rain not long after I started.

I tried to tough it out, but the old folk were looking at me like I was a bit crazy; or feeling sorry for me; so in the end I stopped and returned on the following day (Saturday) to finish off.

I'll do commercial work, or large domestic properties in the rain; even my best accounts; but I haven't got much of that type of work; I just can't face cleaning lots of terraced houses/semis with lots of different customers that I think will secretly be 'narked' that I'm doing so.

I've done it though, and can't think of many (if any complaints), so I know the problem lies with me, not my customers.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 05:32:37 pm »
It strikes me that the working in the rain differences of opinion is almost as controversial as those that fight their individual corners regarding trad/wfp.

Not half as controversial as those pi$$in' web-links that bugger up postings on forums so you cant read 'em  :-\

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 05:43:39 pm »
What a morning.

Started this house, was still dry, and by the time I was half done with the front it started raining, not so much to really soak me but still.

Then this local windowcleaner (never seen him before, he said he was from the village where I was working) stopped outside, think he had to go to the neighbors to deliver something or whatever, and he just stepped in my customers garden, and saying I was having a laugh working in this weather, asking if I was that desperate for cash. Couldn't believe it.

Stayed calm, and said it was dry when I started, he immediately said it had been raining for the last 20min (not true), and I was thinking what is his problem all up in my face. So I said, well sometimes if you want to be reliable you need to work in the rain, just had 2 weeks off (interrupted, well so did I!), still stayed calm. In the mean time he kicked my ladder stabilizer, 'oh you got one of these', and he just stood on the damn thing while I was talking to him. I was really like, dude, if you are gonna be funny with me you are gonna get it bigtime.

'well my customers know that I don't work in the rain'

I said, well my customers know that in order to be reliable, you need to work now and then in the rain. Maybe you should be here cleaning windows aswell.

'well aslong as you don't leave any smears ey!' while walking away.

I said, yea precisely. *good riddance.

Started raining harder, and by the time I got finished I was soaking, so am at home now. Started really early aswell, wanted to make it a nice long day.

I mean what was his problem?! Sheeeeesh......  :-\  >:(

He was jealous watching you earn money WFP while he couldn't (trad). If I was you in your position I would have told him to push off as I'm earning a living in the rain unlike himself who would struggle trying to keep his scrims dry for detailing ;D
I worked all day yesterday in the middle of Dartmouth town centre and it was absolutely chucking it down and blowing a gale. Who cares what other people think of you cleaning in the rain. At the end of the month your bank balance remains healthy, unlike the trad window cleaner who's been praying all month for a bit of sun, or at least a few dry days each week to catch up ;D

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 05:56:21 pm »
Actually, I'm not yet wfp, next month. This was still traditional! :)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »
Actually, I'm not yet wfp, next month. This was still traditional! :)

You'll find it a LOT easier cleaning in the rain with WFP than Trad and you won't look such an idiot cleaning in the rain with a pole than up your ladder. Also you won't get trad window cleaners coming up to you giving you grief ;D ;D ;D

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »
worked a the ran today one point in woolwich it was tipping down knocked customers door didnt batter an eye lid did the job 15 mins later £15 in me bin. Joy of wfp
P&R Window Cleaning

johnny_h

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 08:43:23 pm »
i started a job today half way through it rained the customer came out handed me the money said thank you for turning up on such a miserable day "cant stop i dont want to get wet" and off she went  :)
AUDI VIDE TACE

Ian_Giles

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »
i wear black struass work trousers, and the £80 quid set they do, i got navy blue & black  with free embroide
the navy blue not light blue     
you get 2 polo 2 sweatshirts, 1 bodywarmer which is very good, and a jacket which is very warm. not bad for about £120.

Jon, no offence my friend, but I'm going to delete the link in your post, due to the link you have put in, it is almost an unreadable thread as a result!

So my apologies for removing your thread, if you can find a way to truncate the link, feel free to re-post

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 09:10:43 pm »
I would have said read my van  ;)

Londoner

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 07:46:39 am »
I had the reverse, arrived at a customers in the dry spell between showers and the man came out and made a big thing of holding his hands out to see if it was raining then pulled a face and said "I didn't expect to see you in this weather". Basically he was saying he didn't really want me to do the windows even though it wasn't actually raining then.

I don't like him, he's very picky and has had me re-do a couple of things. Also he asks you things like "Did you do the one above the extension?" then looks like he doesn't believe you when you say "yes". Then he says "are you sure"And you have to say "yes" again.
He goes round checking the windows before he pays you which I find insulting. I have picked up some new customers recently so I think its time to say Bye Bye to him.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 08:06:22 am »
I had the reverse, arrived at a customers in the dry spell between showers and the man came out and made a big thing of holding his hands out to see if it was raining then pulled a face and said "I didn't expect to see you in this weather". Basically he was saying he didn't really want me to do the windows even though it wasn't actually raining then.

I don't like him, he's very picky and has had me re-do a couple of things. Also he asks you things like "Did you do the one above the extension?" then looks like he doesn't believe you when you say "yes". Then he says "are you sure"And you have to say "yes" again.
He goes round checking the windows before he pays you which I find insulting. I have picked up some new customers recently so I think its time to say Bye Bye to him.
he is not good for your mood, I would ditch this customer personally, as if it was me this would affect my daily working, I have had a few like this over the years.

Thats one thing I will not put up with anymore.

Ian

Dean Aspects

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 08:12:28 am »
Have to agree with ww if you have enough work then drop him i too would be insulted by him you do not have to take that kind of attitude from a customer we all deserve to be treated with respect and if the customer doesn't give you that respect then its time to move on to someone that will

Dean

Londoner

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 08:24:23 am »
Yes, I agree with you and he has been moved to "Closed Job" on George. Its something that has come on gradually with him but he is definitely getting worse and he pulls you right down. I don't feel great at the moment anyway, post Christmas blues etc. Bit of a cold and trying to work out of a hired van doesn't help. BINNED!

geefree

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 09:40:55 am »
i agree bin him,

after a year and a half i still dont have the required customer base i need yet.... but i wont take poop from any of them , i do a great job, clean everything, so the fist sign of trouble i will drop them as i want a decent working enviroment with customers who respect our service,  i had one who was due 3 days before xmas, she rang me and said leave them until end of january as i have family over for xmas already and cant have the window cleaner here when all the family are here ?////???/ eh?

it wasnt like i was staying for xmas dinner  :o

dropped ! .... and the main reason wasnt the above.... it was because i was relying on her and all my other december calls for my xmas wage...  i know ot sounds silly but when they say come after xmas.. it hurts as its our bull week .

xxmattyxx

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 11:50:58 am »
it wasnt like i was staying for xmas dinner  :o

Ha ha, nice one  ;D  ;D

Helen

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:21 pm »
I tried to tough it out, but the old folk were looking at me like I was a bit crazy; or feeling sorry for me;

Usually they feel sorry for you. so if want to keep going do so! ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 02:17:19 pm »
You'll find it a LOT easier cleaning in the rain with WFP than Trad and you won't look such an idiot cleaning in the rain with a pole than up your ladder. Also you won't get trad window cleaners coming up to you giving you grief ;D ;D ;D
Why should he look more of an idiot than you?
I think it's quite the opposite actually.

He's cleaning and drying windows, whilst you're spraying water onto windows with water on. ::)
I think that makes wfp look very silly and pointless.
I'm sure the customer would think the same.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 05:21:45 pm »

He's cleaning and drying windows, whilst you're spraying water onto windows with water on. ::)

Wahayy! Good old Rog. Wherever there's a silver lining he'll find the cloud! ;D ;)
It's a game of three halves!

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 06:36:14 pm »

No wonder you lose a lot of customers with a negative attitude like yours. You must rub your negative attitude off on your customers ;D
Stay home squeeky when it's raining and I'll keep smiling 'cause I'm out in the rain earning some money ;D No wonder you're becoming a bore ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 06:38:49 pm »

No wonder you lose a lot of customers with a negative attitude like yours. You must rub your negative attitude off on your customers ;D
Stay home squeeky when it's raining and I'll keep smiling 'cause I'm out in the rain earning some money ;D No wonder you're becoming a bore ;D ;D ;D
thats a bit harsh, squeaky makes me laugh with some of the things he posts.
Do agree with the negative attitude though squeaks you need to look at that, or have many years of the same thing.

Ian

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 07:18:46 pm »
Yes Ian it was a bit harsh. No doubt it will make Squeeky's day 'cause then he can come back on here and have another moan/pop at me to get it off his chest to keep him happy ;D
Squeeky's negative attitude is not going to rub off on me too :-\

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 08:26:16 pm »
I'm not negative, I'm perfectly happy.
I just don't see the point in getting wet and annoying your customers.

You're ripping them off due to your greed.

If you've got to work in the rain then you don't do well enough the rest of the time. ;) :P

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 08:30:06 pm »
I'm not negative, I'm perfectly happy.
I just don't see the point in getting wet and annoying your customers.

You're ripping them off due to your greed.

If you've got to work in the rain then you don't do well enough the rest of the time. ;) :P
or we want to do better when it rains than sat there moaning about it m8.

I dont like getting wet but work has to be done and rain is no excuse unless you make it one.  ;)

Ian

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:21 pm »

I dont like getting wet but work has to be done and rain is no excuse unless you make it one.  ;)

Ian

Absolutely, best post in this thread so far. THAT is why I was out.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:12 pm »
Ian, I never moan about the rain on here.
That's other people.
I do fine thanks, quite happy to get some enforced breaks. ;D

Look through my back posts or look at the rain threads.

I've never moaned about. ;)

geefree

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:46 pm »
oh squeaky  ;D ;D.... why do you always cause a row and start upsetting people  ;)

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49:01 pm »
Ian, I never moan about the rain on here.
That's other people.
I do fine thanks, quite happy to get some enforced breaks. ;D

Look through my back posts or look at the rain threads.

I've never moaned about. ;)
I meant when your sat at home and it rains say for 5 days do you not moan (I didnt mean on here m8 I meant in general.)
I also did say that you didnt do fine, touchy touchy

I was not having a dig at you  ;)

Ian

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 11:48:59 pm »
um... your going to get expelled

Jago

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 12:04:57 am »
Saw a winda cleaner today who does not clean in the rain
he told me thaat his customers would moan if he started doing it now as he has not done it for three years

He told me to keep it up and get em used to it as he wished he had done so
that's some encouragement as he is minted
he also has a pole system
He was working as we chatted and all for £10 P\H
J
To Do Is To Dare