[GQC] Tim

Storing resin, how to pack resin into vessel.
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:55:00 am »
Two questions really, I read somewhere that to keep resin at it's best, is to store it airtight, without any chance of moisture etc coming in.

Now, I saw the Lidl folder this afternoon, and they do 2 Vacuum storage bags for £1.99, I doubt it will be strong enough for 25l, but if you only store like 10 or 5 liter of Resin? Good enough or......am I just daydreaming?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080110.p.Vacuum_Storage_Bags_-_Set_of_2.ar2

Second question :

How do you properly put Resin into a DI vessel?

(btw, Lidls do storage boxes aswell, should be good to store trad stuff in!)

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080110.p.Stackable_Storage_Boxes.ar2

Tim Rose

Re: Storing resin, how to pack resin into vessel.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:01:19 am »
I just wrap the bag up and seal with duct tape.

Second: I get a piece of card and make a funnel out of it - pour the stuff in.  Leave enough room for the doodah thing that goes in the middle.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:13:31 am »
I just wrap the bag up and seal with duct tape.

Second: I get a piece of card and make a funnel out of it - pour the stuff in.  Leave enough room for the doodah thing that goes in the middle.

You mean the riser tube? Isn't it smart to leave it in there whilst filling? Do you tightly pack the resin or something?

Thanks

Tim Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:21:34 am »
I used to try to fill the bl00dy thing with the riser tube in, but it just gets in the way.  You try to get the thing in as far as possible, but before you know it the lid gets in the way.

Now I'm not so paranoid about packing the resin in, and this has the added benefit of being able to shake the vessel when the tds starts to rise - not so easy with 18l of wet resin.

I toyed with the idea of using an old, smooth, lampshade with a slit to do the funnel trick, but never got around to it.  I just heap the stuff in with a glass.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:04:19 pm »
Anyone else got some ideas?

macmac

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »
First off, don't "pack" resin in a vessel, fill the vessel only 3/4 full. you may have to give the vessel a tap or two on the ground just to settle the resin to the bottom while filling.
As for storing resin, i just put a tie-wrap around the neck of the bag & put it in the shed. On dowex resin, the label tells you not to let the resin dry out. i've read posts with people going on about not letting stored resin be subject to moisture, i personaly think they have the wrong end of the stick with that!

tony

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 03:10:43 pm »
First off, don't "pack" resin in a vessel, fill the vessel only 3/4 full. you may have to give the vessel a tap or two on the ground just to settle the resin to the bottom while filling.
As for storing resin, i just put a tie-wrap around the neck of the bag & put it in the shed. On dowex resin, the label tells you not to let the resin dry out. i've read posts with people going on about not letting stored resin be subject to moisture, i personaly think they have the wrong end of the stick with that!

tony
better not tell you I leave mine open then :o

macmac

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 03:19:53 pm »

tony

As long as it's open to moisture you'll be fine. like i said, i just tie the top of the bag & chuck it in the shed. ;)

tony

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:22:05 pm »

tony

As long as it's open to moisture you'll be fine. like i said, i just tie the top of the bag & chuck it in the shed. ;)

tony
so glad you said that my wife going mad at me for leaving in kitchen  ;) thats good enough for moisture.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »

tony

Okay sounds good. I can swear a long time ago, I saw Alex Gardiner post the exact opposite, tightly pack it. Must have misread it?

So airtight it not good then. I suppose, just taping it back shut again would do, plenty of air in the bag anyway.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 04:55:53 pm »

tony

Okay sounds good. I can swear a long time ago, I saw Alex Gardiner post the exact opposite, tightly pack it. Must have misread it?

So airtight it not good then. I suppose, just taping it back shut again would do, plenty of air in the bag anyway.
little thing I would add to this is when you get the resin or it is just me you can squeeze the bag and get air out there for not air tight, if it was air tight you would trap moisture anyway, somethings work for some and dont for others I dont have a clue why this is, but would love to meet the person that made up sods law.
I am changing resin to twin tanks tomorrow and I bet I know get problems.

Ian

*foxman

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 08:17:29 pm »
the simple way to refill resin vessel:-

Buy one of these

http://www.fascias.com/index.html?target=p_3195.html&lang=en-gb

Fits in the top of the vessel snuggly

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 08:20:41 pm »
the simple way to refill resin vessel:-

Buy one of these

http://www.fascias.com/index.html?target=p_3195.html&lang=en-gb

Fits in the top of the vessel snuggly
can see me taking my di vessel into gibs and dandy and builders centre tomorrow.

;D

great idea that one I am fed up of picking up every resin bead i drop takes weeks

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:19:15 am »
So everyone of you fills the vessel 3/4?

What about the riser tube with the head at the bottom, what about that?

Still haven't fully been answered sorry. :)

*foxman

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 01:03:35 am »

Fill with the above tool (3/4 full) then put the vessel on its side then push the riser in while rolling the vessel back and fore. the resin falls around the riser and it fits in easily with out force.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:00:25 am »
Cool thank you for that. :)

So shaking the resin (when tds goes up) makes it lasts longer?

mop-n-scrim

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 12:45:11 pm »
I find using a traffic cone with the pointy bit cut off & a 2''x1" piece of wood through it (to keep space for the riser tube) stuck in the top of the vessel works for me.
Yes giving a shake to the vessel can open up new areas for the water to pass through, using less used resin in the vessel.

dai

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 04:16:54 pm »
I used to use a traffic cone, but I then found a lacquered metal lampshade that fits the neck perfectly.
I just fill until the resin reaches the part of the vessel where it begins to narrow, then push in the stem.
I have been toying with the idea of putting in a little less to make it easier to shake. Dai

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 04:24:42 pm »

I fill mine near to the top then push in the riser tube after, this then makes resin go down so I guess about 3/4 full is about right, if you just filled to 3/4 when you put the tube back in it would be less than 3/4 full. I swear I have said this before.

Ian

macmac

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 08:34:37 pm »

I fill mine near to the top then push in the riser tube after, this then makes resin go down so I guess about 3/4 full is about right, if you just filled to 3/4 when you put the tube back in it would be less than 3/4 full. I swear I have said this before.

Ian

you may have to give the vessel a tap or two on the ground just to settle the resin to the bottom while filling.

;)

tony

Pj

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 08:48:44 pm »
I store it as airtight as I can, in me shed... but its always moist.

I cut a big hole in the bottom of a big polythene bag or supermarket carrier, leave the riser in the vessel, stick the bag in and spread it round and hold about half of it out, get a plastic jug and scoop it into the bag and shake it in, repeat....fills in a few minutes.

;)