[GQC] Tim

Citroen Berlingo, modifying 600 model to 800.
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:44:42 am »
I've read somewhere on the forums, that someone had it done at a garage, and it's simply a matter of replacing the 600 model rear shocks for the 800 ones.

Is this true, has anyone some experience with this? Went to the local French car expert, and he said he never heard of anyone doing it, said it might take more then just the shocks. Although the 600 and 800 are identical.

Comments please. :)

Re: Citroen Berlingo, modifying 600 model to 800.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:19:03 am »
Not sure where to go but vans getting converted often up rate the carrying weight.

Have you tryed Google & see what that comes up with?

gary evans

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:28:14 am »
l looked into this  a while ago & was qouted £300+ just for the parts from the main dealer, brought brodex 250 instead & left it.

Gary

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:22 am »
Not sure where to go but vans getting converted often up rate the carrying weight.

Have you tryed Google & see what that comes up with?

Yea googled it to no end, can't find a thing.

l looked into this  a while ago & was qouted £300+ just for the parts from the main dealer, brought brodex 250 instead & left it.

Gary

Do you have any idea what parts they listed?

LWC

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 10:49:14 am »
£300??? surely can you not just get the shocks and springs??

i cant see anything more that would make a diff? but i dont know a great deal lol!

LWC

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:22:35 am »
i just rang halfords mate, it doesnt list different shocks for the 600 and 800, so they must be the same...but it does list a different coil spring for the the 800 to the 600.

in my opinion you could upgrade the springs and be done...but you need to check that i DO NOT KNOW

anyway, the springs would cost around £100, and if you fit them (health and saftey alert) be careful! me and my mate had a coil come off when we were unsrewing it, we both jumped on it lol...its couldve been worse. they go off like a loaded gun...im not being gay telling you this, its just i know what can happen  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 12:39:07 pm »
Hm thanks LWC. I wouldn't fit them myself, just because of that.  ;D

Are you talking about the front springs, because the rear just has shocks, no springs.

The front shocks/springs has got to be different then, and not the rear, which is seriously weird, I'd think the most weight would be pressing down on the rear.

LWC

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 12:58:35 pm »
they must have springs dude...might not be on the shocks though...

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 01:35:26 pm »
vans have leaf springs set up on the rear, you'll probably find that the 800 has an extra leaf to cope with the extra weight ;)

Leaf springs? Definitely not on the Berlingo/Partner. And if the springs are not on the shocks, I can't see any springs anywhere looking under the van.

Does the Berlingo not have something called a Torsion beam suspension? It sure looks like it? So it might be not the shocks that need to be uprated but the torsion bars themselves? Bigger diameter?

LWC

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 02:00:52 pm »
sorry lwc i didn't realise you wasn't replying to me ;)

no worries, and maybe tey do have a torsion bar like most peugeots do...im staying outta this one lol

macmac

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 03:51:36 pm »
Just one tip
Any suspension modification could invalidate your insurance (read the small print) so you would have to notify your insurance company of any such mod. For this reason i would think they would require a professional statement for the said suspension modification. ;)

tony

gsw

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 04:07:59 pm »
i spoke to citroen about the exact same thing, official comment is it cant be done.

so i didn't!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 04:11:51 pm »
i spoke to citroen about the exact same thing, official comment is it cant be done.

so i didn't!

It's interesting, because some dealers say they can. Well, I'm just going to call up the garage and see then, obviously it's not as simple as changing shocks or whatever.

macmac

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 04:43:49 pm »
I know it's not the same van but when i enquired about the same thing with my kangoo i was told it would mean changing the whole rear axle along with all it's components.

tony

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
I know it's not the same van but when i enquired about the same thing with my kangoo i was told it would mean changing the whole rear axle along with all it's components.

tony

Yea, with the Berlingo it might be same thing. Really a shame I can't find the original posting. Somebody had it done for under £300.

Elginn

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 07:52:30 pm »
If you go into a caravan dealership, you can buy universal suspension upgraders and fit them yourself in less than half hour.

pure-water

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 08:33:33 pm »
Re – suspension upgrade.

Front
You need to replace springs, shocks and anti roll bar.
New parts at Citroen will be about £200 + vat   Can be got cheaper.

Rear
Shocks, anti roll bar and torsion bars (these go horizontally across the axle)
Anti roll bars and torsion bars are bigger diameters.
New parts at Citroen will be about £300 + vat   Can be got cheaper.

Labour, your cheapest mechanic £150-300

VOSA approved inspection.
Extra insurance premium.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 08:47:08 pm »
Damn, that is a lot of money. That's half the price of my van easily! Should have gotten one when I bought one.

How about the rear shocks? I thought somebody here said they were the same price?

pure-water

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 10:14:57 pm »
Cheap option if you can, would be to swap (unbolt the whole back axle assembly) the parts from an 800 Van at a breakers yard.
800's are very hard to find. But there must be some out there.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 10:24:15 pm »
Hmm, that might be a very good idea.

Could you please tell me where you got this info from? And is it really necessary to change the front shocks and bar aswell? I'm assuming yes?

pure-water

Re: Citroen Berlingo, modifying 600 model to 800. New
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 10:44:20 pm »
I had it done.  Love my van.  Didn’t want it to sit as low as it did with the water in the back, only got a 400 lt tank.  Those with Belingos will understand that they sink the more water you put in, wheel arch level with the tyre. NOW, not a problem for me.

If you just did the rear, you would most likely never look laden down or over weight, so probably won’t get stopped.

But if ever you did get tested, the fine could be big.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 11:02:22 pm »
Thank you very much Pure water, any comments on what Easy Clean suggests? I'm sure there is more to it than that, because they are not the same diameter?

Could you send me an email (with the email in my profile) with how you managed to fit the 400l tank? ie. with the fuel tank right under where the steel bars of the tank frame go?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 11:14:56 pm »
I understand, but it just sounds really dodgy somehow. They are not made for it, sure it will work.....but yea, when it breakes, it breakes bigtime I assume, potentially endangering your life.

pure-water

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 11:20:05 pm »
If you only wanted it to not look low and not carry any more that the specified 600Kgs, Easy Cleans idea is Great idea.  I investigated that idea also.

But to modify a 600 to an 800, so it could carry that extra 200Kgs, that idea may be a little tested one day fully loaded on some speed ramp.

The upgrade was a bit pricey I thought, but I wanted it, glad I did.

Now I would like to have Air Con also, again this may by too costly, but with all things, window cleaning especially, you get the best you can afford at the time or wait until you can afford it.

You will know what the best choice is for you.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 11:24:19 pm »
Well, I place my personal safety above everything else, I won't be there to look after my lady when I'm gone. Price? Priceless.

So yea, I'm going to my local friendly french expert garage, tell them what I want to do, and go for it. They are brilliant people, and I'm sure they want to sort it.

Thanks a lot guys, I knew I could count on you! :)

How did you get on with getting is VOSA inspected, and how much did it add to the insurance?

NWH

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 11:28:18 pm »
Just get a bigger more adequete van like renaut trafic-vivaro with a bulkhead,problem solved.The van you have is more suited to an elctrician or plummer not WFP with half a ton in the back.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 11:32:05 pm »
gqc, what do you carry in your van?

list everything even down to your last little pole

Tank = 26Kg
pump = 3.5Kg (Empty)
Poles (2) = 5Kg
roof rack = 6Kg
di filter = 20Kg (atleast with Resin and filled with water)
RO = 7.5Kg (empty)
1 set of ladders = 15Kg
Hose Reel = 17Kg (empty, again if filled much heavier)
55ltrs of fuel = 55Kg
Driver = 80Kg
Passenger = 80KG

Then add your trad bits and bobs, 5Kg or so. Pretty heavy load.

Problem is, if the reel is still charged with water, and water in the DI, and RO, your looking at a much heavier load again.

Just get a bigger more adequete van like renaut trafic-vivaro with a bulkhead,problem solved.The van you have is more suited to an elctrician or plummer not WFP with half a ton in the back.

C'mon, 800Kg van is rated for 800Kg payload. There is no reason to get a 'proper' van if you already have a Proper van.

NWH

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:10 pm »
The payload means nothing as anyone with a small van and half a ton in the back will tell you,with a decent sized tank and a bit of trad equipment along with hosereel -backpack your space has gone,with a bigger van you have none of the above problems,every one i know that has started off with a small van have all said they wished they`d gone for a bigger van in the first place.Why would you want a small van like that for anyway the van imentioned is the perfect size for WFP,not to big and the main thing not to small.Forgot to mention where the hell are the poles going.between the passengers legs.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 11:41:34 pm »
The payload means nothing as anyone with a small van and half a ton in the back will tell you,with a decent sized tank and a bit of trad equipment along with hosereel -backpack your space has gone,with a bigger van you have none of the above problems,every one i know that has started off with a small van have all said they wished they`d gone for a bigger van in the first place.Why would you want a small van like that for anyway the van imentioned is the perfect size for WFP,not to big and the main thing not to small.Forgot to mention where the hell are the poles going.between the passengers legs.

Not everyone has the money to go big first time around. Don't you think I would have bought a bigger van? I had to get a '97 Berlingo, with quite a bit of mileage for me to afford it, I've had to work hard for my money, and I love my van now. :)

I've tested and put everything in the back, yes space is then not good again, but it's just fine for me. I do not need more.

NWH

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 11:42:34 pm »
Good for you,but that dosen`t mean that it`s the right van for the job.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 11:46:48 pm »
Guys, no offense, but this is really irrelevant. The van is fine for me, and a lot of people are also happy with it. End of story.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:36 pm »
I have the new LWB version and i can get a 34-40ft pole down the inside of the van with the butt of the pole only reaching the drivers door pocket,best sized van in it`s class but to under powered for me as i do a lot of driving.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:38 pm »
I agree but why mess about with upgrading this and that,just buy the proper tool in the first place.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 11:52:58 pm »
I agree but why mess about with upgrading this and that,just buy the proper tool in the first place.

Read my first post, I answered that question in detail. Now BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE.  :)

@ Easy clean, no problem, I understood you, I'll definitely make sure I do that. Thanks :)

craig21t

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 04:55:54 am »
you can rest rear torsion bars, we used to do it to renault 5 turbos (lower th ride height).

jack the back off the van up, just enough to start taking the weight off the van, then take the cap off the torsion bar, use a 1/2 inch short extension bar and punch the inner part of it through so it comes out of the splines, then jack the van up more to desired height then from other side punch it back into the splines, then lower the van off the jack and you'll have a nhigher ride height.

sorted, it'll carry its weight better then

Lol, but you must remember from your 5 turbo days what a bitch they are if the torsion bars are seized.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 03:35:12 pm »
Question, why would you need to have it inspected? I know it's a modification, but no one will ever see it anyway? It's like fitting new brakes, it's a modification, life threatening even, but you don't need that inspected?

Confused about that.

pure-water

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2007, 05:38:18 pm »
An Inspection means to examine, to scrutinize what’s been done.

When it is inspected so as to prove that the work has been done, the inspector can issue a certificate (badge to put next to your existing plate) stating the New Gross Weight.  This is what will satisfy the insurance firm that’s going to insure a modified vehicle & the police that will only accept details on the vehicle.

Just the same when you are buying a car or house, you get it inspected to know if they’re safe & correct.

I see your logic, you said, “It's like fitting new brakes, it's a modification”, but you’re not changing the same, you are changing something different, something that enables you to carry 200Kgs more.

Not having a Certification could make it difficult to explain to a police man who points out that your van is over weight, when all you have is your word and some receipts.

Not trying to sound negative but the plate on your van says Gross Vehicle Weight 1765Kgs, that what they go on.  After it is inspected your van would say Gross Vehicle Weight 1965Kgs

It is a lot of hassle & money, that’s why most don’t bother.

Hope that helps, not really what you wanted to hear I’m sure.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2007, 06:08:10 pm »
Hm, don't get me wrong, but I very much doubt even the insurance would make a big deal about it when I have a crash, they can't possibly proof the tank is filled to the brim when the accident happened can they. Police yes, perhaps, but I've never seen a copper do anything but flash his camera at me. As far as I know insurer is more concerned about the way the tank is fitted then the weight thats carried don't they?

I completely understand, and I would get it inspected, but if it cost another £100-150, I'd say no thanks, but still have it modified.

Did you have to contact the inspector? Or did the company you did it with get it sorted?

(btw I can't tell you how happy I am with your answers and experience, thank you SO much)

pure-water

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 07:09:36 am »
Please don’t miss the point.

My explanation was an answer to your original question.
Yes I did contact the inspector myself, a firm recognised by VOSA to carry out such work.

Each one of US chooses to do as much or as little as is required.
The outcome could be different for each person.
For me, I chose what I believed to be necessary.

It was the inspection that MADE IT ALL LEGAL, now got a plate on my van says GVW 1965Kgs, so as long as I am less than that I’m ok.  I probably only carry what I used to and its not sitting as low as it once did.

I wanted to carry 800Kgs.    I wanted to be honest and I wanted my van legal.
I did what I did so,,,, it does,,,,     I am,,,,           and it is.

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2007, 08:45:40 am »
Hm, don't get me wrong, but I very much doubt even the insurance would make a big deal about it when I have a crash, they can't possibly proof the tank is filled to the brim when the accident happened can they. Police yes, perhaps, but I've never seen a copper do anything but flash his camera at me. As far as I know insurer is more concerned about the way the tank is fitted then the weight thats carried don't they?

I completely understand, and I would get it inspected, but if it cost another £100-150, I'd say no thanks, but still have it modified.

Did you have to contact the inspector? Or did the company you did it with get it sorted?

(btw I can't tell you how happy I am with your answers and experience, thank you SO much)
GQC, you have to remember one thing it is not getting away with it that counts it is the saftey of you and others, be smart be safe ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2007, 08:47:07 am »
Yea true, okay then, you guys are right. will spend some more. :)

Thank a lot for all the answers.