[GQC] Tim

Well, my initial enthusiasm in wfp turned dim the moment I got some stuff in, just set my 17' X-tel up, and I cannot believe how heavy it is extended, I have got a 20' Unger alu pole, and that one is lighter! Which I already found pretty heavy. This pole is gonna break my flipping back, I'm 6 foot 1, and not very muscular, quite slim actually, but the Unger I can still handle, I'm afraid this is gonna give me some problems everyday use. (X-tel with G-fit neck, and vikan rec. brush.)

Sheesh, can't believe this, and in future I'm supposed to be using that thing everyday....right.  :(  :-\

Oh and the threaded cone came right loose/out when I screwed on the G-fit, very poor glue I suppose?

Davew

Re: What the heck? I thought fibreglass poles are supposed to be LIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:22:16 pm »
Change the brush for a superlight (Bentley) and that will help. That's why i use fishing poles, much cheaper, far lighter, bit more fiddley and fragile but you can work all day long easy peasy.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:23:59 pm »
and I cannot believe how heavy it is extended
Do some body building. I'm 6ft 2 and find that pole a doddle to use, it only weighs 1.8kg!!!! thats the lightest glass fibre pole of that size on the market. I dont reccomend the gfit on the xtel at all, its for deep sills, just use an angle adapter. The glue isnt poor on those but sometimes it does come loose with alot of strain from over tightening. You should be very happy with that pole, its the best on the market for that height, Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:21 pm »
One of my friends uses a 45ft Omnipole for everything!!! downstairs too, it weighs over 6kg I think, try doing that! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:30:32 pm »
Well, my initial enthusiasm in wfp turned dim the moment I got some stuff in, just set my 17' X-tel up, and I cannot believe how heavy it is extended, I have got a 20' Unger alu pole, and that one is lighter! Which I already found pretty heavy. This pole is gonna break my flipping back, I'm 6 foot 1, and not very muscular, quite slim actually, but the Unger I can still handle, I'm afraid this is gonna give me some problems everyday use. (X-tel with G-fit neck, and vikan rec. brush.)

Sheesh, can't believe this, and in future I'm supposed to be using that thing everyday....right.  :(  :-\

Oh and the threaded cone came right loose/out when I screwed on the G-fit, very poor glue I suppose?
Are you holding the pole straight out infront of you? if you are I did the same and thought the same, I have a 34ft pole and few of the 17ft's I love the 34ft pole great fun, but the 17ft xtel we use everyday, you dont get the weight as most of the time the brush will be on the window hence not straight out with just thin air.

I had great fun first day with windows over conservatories but used to it now as will you be, good luck  ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »

Hi GQC,

I'm sorry to hear that the end screw has come loose (I will pass this on to the manufacturers) do you need us to send you some epoxy to glue it back in with?

One thing that will make your working experience feel much lighter is, as Luke says, to switch to a light-weight brush (Super-Lite or similar). The bristles do not last as long, but the weight saving is well worth it. Every extra gramme on the end of your pole makes an enormous difference to your arms.

Davew

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 04:36:28 pm »
Ian what are you doing with a few seventeen foot poles? Do you collect them or hold one in each hand?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 04:40:51 pm »

Are you holding the pole straight out infront of you? if you are I did the same and thought the same, I have a 34ft pole and few of the 17ft's I love the 34ft pole great fun, but the 17ft xtel we use everyday, you dont get the weight as most of the time the brush will be on the window hence not straight out with just thin air.

I had great fun first day with windows over conservatories but used to it now as will you be, good luck  ;)

Yea I did do that, because I have a few accounts with windows over conservatories. So I wanted to know how it feels like you know. Yea I suppose I do need to work out a bit more.  :-[

I realise most of the work won't be done like that, but straight under the window more or less, still a bit of a shocker for me.

As for the gooseneck, I have one or two customers with very deep sills, need that for those accounts. :)

@ Alex, I just send you an email. I'd like to use a superlite brush, but had to make a decision, and I thought it would have been allright.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:43:27 pm »
The Super-lite brush is excellent, I was very impressed, I dont use it on my 17ft xtels though, I use vikans on them, I cant be bothered spending more money!

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 04:48:03 pm »

Yea I did do that, because I have a few accounts with windows over conservatories. So I wanted to know how it feels like you know. Yea I suppose I do need to work out a bit more.  :-[

I realise most of the work won't be done like that, but straight under the window more or less, still a bit of a shocker for me.

As for the gooseneck, I have one or two customers with very deep sills, need that for those accounts. :)

@ Alex, I just send you an email. I'd like to use a superlite brush, but had to make a decision, and I thought it would have been allright.
It will not feel that heavy when it is on the window trust me, will be a little arkward at the start as you have to get used to it, I am starting to fly round now, had my best day so far wfp, and ran out of water  :o only 5 mins of daylight left so was not to worried  ;D

Jon-scwindows

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 05:01:31 pm »
they are heavy to lift up to vertical, yes but when upright at the window its much easier. I have a 45ft alluminium pole, which i can handle no problem - yes its heavy but not that bad, and im only 17.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 05:05:40 pm »
they are heavy to lift up to vertical, yes but when upright at the window its much easier. I have a 45ft alluminium pole, which i can handle no problem - yes its heavy but not that bad, and im only 17.

you forget to add you are 6'7 and 20 stone  :P

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 05:08:12 pm »

I have not received it yet, did you use my profile email alex@agardiner.co.uk

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 05:16:19 pm »

I have not received it yet, did you use my profile email alex@agardiner.co.uk

Sorry, I send you an email under my own name to sales@gardineretc.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 05:42:28 pm »
Fiberglass as I understand it is heavier than aluminum and carbonfiber.  It's just cheaper to produce.  But the 17ft xtel is the lightest fiberglass at that height that I've heard of.  What can make that pole feel heavier is when you have a heavyish brush on the end whipping around as it is a fairly whippy pole.

If you find that pole heavy then a standard 18ft universal that most people used a short while back would have made you pop a hernia.

Simon.

macmac

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 05:45:38 pm »
Fiberglass is ok for making boats & things out of ;)

Does health & safety know they are still making poles with this stuff :o

tony

alanwilson

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 05:49:07 pm »
I have the little 17ft gxtel - good little pole but is a tad flimsy.

get the lightest brush you can on it.

On a slightly different note also got a 25ft brodex cobra - superb pole, cannot fault it at all. 

actually I've got probably 12poles but only use 3 of them, 17gxtel, 25cobra and 45carbon universal (horrible horrible horrible - gonna splash out on a modular sometime.)
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 05:51:42 pm »
List your poles, maybe people will buy them, luke

alanwilson

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 05:53:56 pm »
nah pal most of them are half knackered.  old stuff like universals, extenders etc.

like to keep them as back up just in case.

thanks anyway
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 06:11:18 pm »
Just tried to reach the windows on my house, and the difference in weight is much less apparant when using it normally, I think I should have waited a sec before posting haha.

It's far less whippy when not fully extended as well, and just at normal angles, it's not that bad. Quite enjoyed pretending to clean them.  ;D

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:48 pm »
Still no email received on alex@agardiner.co.uk.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20:19 pm »
talking of email, did you get my reply alex? luke

trevor perry

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 06:24:47 pm »
may be some porridge or an extra weetabix in a morning might help ;D
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

matt

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 06:45:17 pm »
some1 local to me had a glass fibre pole, it was heavier than my unger by a fair bit

the unger is great, its hardwearing and lasts, you cannot beat it for VFM

im now using a fishing pole and i must admit its a delight to use, i dont come home with the same aches and pains

poleman

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »
Blimey whats the world coming to, in my day (5 years ago) WFP was heavy, now all theses light poles and your still moaning LOL  ;D  ::)

Andy

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »
some1 local to me had a glass fibre pole, it was heavier than my unger by a fair bit

im now using a fishing pole and i must admit its a delight to use, i dont come home with the same aches and pains
I do have an unger metal pole I used with trad, and yes you are right it is lighter and would be more hard wearing.

what would have have to do to the end cone to get a brush to fit? or what brush would you use for it?

best wishes

Ian
www.windowwashers.co.uk
need a website visit us online  ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
Still no email received on alex@agardiner.co.uk.

I just received an email back from Kirsty, many thanks.

Gardiners for the win.  ;)

Davew

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 06:55:05 pm »
Aye, to think i started with a scaffold pole and a yard brush. You yung'uns don't know your born!

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 06:58:41 pm »
Aye, to think i started with a scaffold pole and a yard brush. You yung'uns don't know your born!
lol

gary999

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 07:02:41 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;Dthere was me thinking you were a lead piping man

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 07:33:55 pm »
Guys he already has a 21' pole, and on a tight budget, why would he need to buy another one?

Peter

A few suppliers can do you a brush that fits straight on your Unger pole  Like I said earlier if you keep the hose on the outside, then you can have it in your hand in seconds, for doing the bottoms.

Peter

matt

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 08:05:48 pm »

I do have an unger metal pole I used with trad, and yes you are right it is lighter and would be more hard wearing.

what would have have to do to the end cone to get a brush to fit? or what brush would you use for it?

best wishes

Ian
www.windowwashers.co.uk
need a website visit us online  ;)

wintec do a unger / vikan cone, it just pushes into the unger pole and has a metal screw thead for vikan and most brushes

about 5 quid

Darren O

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 08:28:46 pm »
How do you not just buy a facelift carbon fibre 24ft costs a fair bit more but must be the best pole out there bar none.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 08:31:27 pm »
Darren you have not only chosen the right pole you will save yourself loads of money in the long run due to the fact that you won`t have to keep splashing out on S*** poles.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 08:39:43 pm »
I wonder how long he has had his Unger pole?  I had mine around 5 years, and although it is redundant now, it is still in pretty good condition, and only cost me pennies in replacement threads.

Peter

Darren O

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 08:43:52 pm »
If your really loaded buy the 44ft i think ive used it once at that height but its always handy to have.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 08:51:12 pm »
Quote from: DARREN O
How do you not just buy a facelift carbon fibre 24ft costs a fair bit more but must be the best pole out there bar none.

If your really loaded buy the 44ft i think ive used it once at that height but its always handy to have.

Exactly, and I'm not even loaded enough to buy the 24'. 

I like how you make £415 (24') sound like almost nothing. ;)

I wonder how long he has had his Unger pole?  I had mine around 5 years, and although it is redundant now, it is still in pretty good condition, and only cost me pennies in replacement threads.

Peter

I have had it for about 1,5 year now, only use it for the windows over conservatories. It's like new, even the threads for the cones are brilliant.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:18 pm »
btw, Kirsty sorted it all out with the pole problem, I'm very happy with their customer support. Thumbs up.  :D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 09:45:36 pm »
I would hate using a brush in my hand for downstairs, a pole gives you some power to scrub and move quickly, Luke

Sanity

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:14 am »
I use a 32ft F/Glass pole, and it is heavy, but imagine the muscles Ill have come the summer ;)

Either that or ill be wearing a back support girdle :D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 08:00:59 pm »
Not to wanna make you feel bad or anything but my wife uses that pole, even at awkward angles no problems and she's only 5'5".  Mind you she an half got a left hook.

Simon.