UK Window Cleaning Forum > Window Cleaning Forum

Purely out of interest - WAHL & ladders

(1/2) > >>

rosskesava:
http://www.cleaningissues.com/news/-/year/2005/month/oct/id/774/

williamx:
While there is much confusion in what people see the whad is saying, I would be interested in how the Insurance Companys will read the guildlines?

Can we get a a reply from the Insurance bigwigs, Windex 2006 seems like a good oppurtunity.

Ian_Giles:
Good link Ross,  the article highlights the confusion over ladder use at the highest level of the HSE.

British Ladder Manufacturing Association spokesperson Peter Bennett says in regard to pole manufacturers claims that WFP is THE alternative to ladders etc.
                                           Quote;
"The pole manufacturers are perfectly entitled to take this view, but we are quite adamant in saying that although there is an apparent improvement in avoiding work at height, the jury is still out as to whether water-fed systems are as effective as actually getting up there and knowing what it is you are cleaning," Bennett continues. "And most certainly the jury is still out as to muscular skeletal disorders as a result of manual handling risks imposed by using pole systems. We are firmly of the opinion that it is not sensible to remove one risk and replace it with another."

When I read that bit I felt a little outrage begin to build...quickly replaced by the realisation that he is actually quite correct, unless you are actually there in front of the window you CANNOT know it is cleaned, in fact to specifically know the window is cleaned you cannot know this until the window has dried out.
A degree of faith in your ability is required.
However, most of us WFP users know full well that that it does in fact do a first rate job.
I would also agree with his observation about muscular skeletal disorders, only time will tell what the impact using WFP will have on our bodies.
On low level work up to around 20-25ft I would hazzard there is low potential to cause long term damage, particularly if sensible working practices are carried out.

But the higher you go, the tougher it gets.
This also applies to ladders though doesn't it, lugging around a heavy, 3 tier extension ladder is hard work, fully extending it isn't without its share of risk either, neither is lowering it!
Working off ladders screwed up both of my knee's, so much so I had to have keyhole surgery to correct it.
This was because of the fact that my knees were continually resting against the ladder rungs as I was working.
Didn't affect me in day to day working, but the cumulative effect was cartilage damage.
Were I an employer I would not dare risk sending someone up a ladder to work, not any more.
Were I the owner of a business I would not want people coming on site and working off ladders unless absolutely necessary. And that is something that is now increasingly happening.
If I were still a 'ladders only' window cleaner and was aware of all the current information, my intent would be to convert to WFP at some point in the future.
Exactly when would to a great degree depend on the depth of my pocket and that 'plucking up' the nerve to go for it.
If you are a window cleaner wanting more commercial work then you'll be a fool not to invest in WFP.
Staying domestic it won't really affect you too much, except that increasingly you'll struggle to compete in many areas, large houses, georgian and leaded work and so on.

The article makes good reading, but WFP is here to stay and its impact on window cleaning for the future is huge.
At the moment those of us that have it are on the crest of a wave, how long that will continue is anyones guess, but as more and more convert I rather think that wave will begin to level out.

But what hey! Surf's up!! 8)

Time to get to work!

Ian

dai:
Good postings both of them. I know from my own experience that the pain I used to get between the shoulder blades went, when I stopped carrying a heavy wooden ladder all day. Time will only tell if some other part of me starts to suffer using the pole.
I have suffered from reactive arthritis for many years. Window cleaning seems to be the best way of treating it. That stretching to detail that top corner does us the world of good [still do bottoms trad]
I'm a bit cynical when it comes to insurance companies. AXA pulled the plug on my personal accident insurance last year, just after I switched to WFP too.
Some have had a change of heart as far as personal accident cover for WFP users is concerned. I can't see them giving cheaper premiums for 3rd party liability though.
They just want the premiums without the risk. We live in an increasingly  litigious society, premiums will continue to rise. Dai

williamx:
I also have had some problems with Insurance companys, and have found to my cost that they will use any excuse to get out of paying on what should be a straightforward claim.

What ever you thoughts and views on the new whad regulations, the main point they do say is that if ladders are used they should be done so correctly and safely.

Every honest ladderman will say that there has been times, when that have used a ladder both incorrectly and not in a safe manner, what will happen to their insurance claim if this is one of them times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version