matt

Re: What's your five year business plan?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:34 pm »
What do you do with a 'splitty van'?

Can you get roof racks to fit your ladders on? How much water would it hold for a WFP system?

You may think that a bit tongue in cheek but I'd bet you'd get a lot of business just going around in it cleaning windows.

Part of our long term plans is to have a number of odd vehicles (including 2 hearses to stop the arguements as to who drives).

Having looked at that picture I'm now wondering about a decent old VW camper van with strengthened suspension ......... maybe...............

you can get a VW spilt screen Pickup, with either single of double cab's, most are sweedish imports, they are roughly about 8 K each, BUT they are work van, thus are not mint like some of the other VW's

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 08:53:05 pm »
Ross,

I think your hearse is brilliant, and I love your 'Window Cleaner, Who you gonna call', motif.  It's pure class (as they say in Geordie-land - where we have none).

But I'd have to argue (and that doesn't mean fight - it means debate) a point that a boring looking, but professional looking; VAN may be better than a funky looking window cleaning vehicle.  Not that I have one mind.  I use my family car for the time being.

Imagine that you're a Facilities Manager for a large company.  (I'm friends with an army equivallent - he's a Quartermaster, a Major, whose responsible for all his Battalions kit, equipment and camp infrastructure).  When he choses civilian contractors, he wants professional, sensible contractors; who do the job stated with the minimum of fuss.

What message would pulling up in a hearse send?
And I'm in no way being derogatory to your business.  I'd love to have a pint with you.  It's a rhetorical question if you like.

Regards.

Tosh.

Mike_G

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 08:58:42 pm »
I would love to use a split screen veedub but a good one would not come cheap, although it would be tax exempt and i am sure if you wanted to you could put a decent sized tank into it. 

matt

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 08:59:21 pm »
i think "different van" show a bit of style and character

afterall it takes nothing to go and buy a "white van" ebay is full of them, all ex fleet

i guess i will get called a cowboy and unprofessional now

but hey, as long as your happy in your white van, then im happy in my bit of style ;)

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 09:30:15 pm »
My point was; if you're a facilities manager; and you want your windows cleaned, a white van might seem a safer bet.

Imagine yourself in the facility managers place.  You meet two contractors.  One has a sensible sign written van.  The other is in a hearse.  Both seem similar.  Both have similar quotes.

Who would you choose, taking into consideration that all you want is clean windows with the minimum of fuss?  

Personaly I would go for the sensible sign written van.  A facilities manager wants boring and professional; not style and character in his window cleaner.  He gets enough of that stuff from his/her employees.  

rosskesava

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 09:33:20 pm »
Hi Windows

When we were deciding how our business should go in the future, before we had a proper work van as such, we couldn't decide whether to go for the professional look or the odd semi comical look.

We are fortunate in that in the immeadiate Brighton area these oddities are perfectly acceptable so we went for a hearse and anyway, it's fun to drive around in and fun deciding what next to add to it.

As yet, with commercial work, we are still dealing with relitively small companies who by and large think it's great. Having said that, we have a contract with ASDA and they don't mind one bit.

I agree with you that for large commercial work and some companies it's the wrong vehicle and I think that at some point in the future we will need a proper van also but at the moment we are not geared up for large contracts.

Part of our long term plan is to get really big contracts and for that, unfortunately, we will have to appear normal otherwise we will loose work to someone who looks to the manager as proffessional and 'normal' because that's how the system works.

For the resindentual work it's an eye catcher. Today we got 3 really well priced jobs from customers who'd seen the hearse about and had written down the phone number. So for that it's perfect.

Anyway, I can't do things in a normal way.

Dunno about a moon buggy though. I've seen a smallish fire engine for sale. The VW splitty ............

One other plan I have is to do roped access work and I have plans well underway to get the needed certificates and for any jobs I do, I want to be dressed like Biggles. That'll wake people up in their offices when a bloke appears swinging from a rope dressed like that with a mop and squeegie.

cheers

matt

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2005, 10:15:05 pm »
My point was; if you're a facilities manager; and you want your windows cleaned, a white van might seem a safer bet.

Imagine yourself in the facility managers place.  You meet two contractors.  One has a sensible sign written van.  The other is in a hearse.  Both seem similar.  Both have similar quotes.

Who would you choose, taking into consideration that all you want is clean windows with the minimum of fuss? 

Personaly I would go for the sensible sign written van.  A facilities manager wants boring and professional; not style and character in his window cleaner.  He gets enough of that stuff from his/her employees. 

i agree with you 100% for comercail work

i mainly do resi work, and too be honest i am fairly happy to continue down that line (less hastle getting paid is a biggy for me) BUT i do some comercail and its all good, i allways go and price up the work and meet the client in my VW GOLF which is new and well smart, should be for the money  ;D

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2005, 10:17:26 pm »
Ross,

You know I was impressed with your set up and your logo.  Made me laugh!  I also know you're very professional.  You seem to know more about working at height regulations than anyone else around here.

I wasn't knocking you.  I was being more of a devil's advocate.

Me, I use the families car at the moment.  I would love to have a vehicle that would display my sense of humour, like a hearse, but I'm not sure that's what some potential clients would want.

I've been in the position of choosing contractors when I was in the Army; from a commercial bus company to carpet laying contractors.  Also perimeter fence labourers, kitchen cleaners and office staff (Not in the Uk mind - places like Germany or Bosnia, or Kosovo).  

I never chose anyone who had a wilder personality than myself.  I liked the boring, sensible ones.  Those contractors who seemed 'Spock like' won.  It just seemed like they would deliver the goods, which were just an irritant to my main focus, without any fuss.

Ross, all I'm doing is giving you another point of view.

rosskesava

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 10:29:35 pm »
Hi Tosh

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my reply. I do agree with you and maybe how I write is the problem.

I know you would only knock those who deserve it and devil's advocate is what I like to also play from time to time.

I got your point and it was well put, acurate and true.

Sometimes I'm aware we have the wrong 'look' for some of the work we are trying to get. So far, touch wood, it's worked in our favour but I'm dreading the day that will come when we're onto a nice earner when the manager says we don't look the part.

The proffessional look is often so so important. The system works that way with a lot of business and the thing of 'first impressions' holds true. Turning up in a hearse is hardly proffessional in that sense and one day soon we will need to look the part if we want to go further than where we are now.

But for now, it's fun.

cheers

Cheers

texas girl

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 03:04:12 am »
Hey all you handsome intelligent window cleaners;

I have a huge bright yellow F150 Ford supercrew 4 wheel drive truck that I love!  I have never had a truck before but I do love it.

If I decide to keep it after it is paid for I am going to buy a small sportscar convertible for fun.

I have to admit pulling up in a new truck is impressive and reassuring to the client.

But it has not always been my ride. I began at the bottom and to make matters worse; chose the wrong spouse not once but twice.

So that was beginning again. Again.

I think Ross's hearse is cool. I will not entertain any other thoughts about anything because I know Ross has great character and will accomplish what he wants in his life.

I do manage my business. 2 times I have eliminated the bottom 10-15% of my clients. Mainly the invoicing ones that do not yeild much profit.

It is great when you run your business I have to say. I have my office at my house; sometimes I am in my PJ's when I first go to work.

But I have been in business for 25 years. The past 10 years I have been contracting out my accounts.

I have worked hard to get where I am. You will get what you put into your business.

Sometimes I get burned out because people are humans and always something. Trust; character; stability. Challenges.

Meeting a large payroll when you haven't been paid yet. Planning.

Any of you can and will acheive what you desire if you are willing to put out the effort it takes. Devotion. Persistance. Honesty. Responsibilty.

Being able to tell a worker to hit the road. Having the marbles to deal with all types of wealthy people. We are all equal, after all.

I am thankful. If you want to hear about my recent trip to Waco go to the other forum under misc topics.

Hugs :-* :-* :-*

Texas Girl
Debbie

matt

rosskesava

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 11:10:09 pm »
Wow.

Bit expensive though at nearly £30 000 but if money was no problem I'd buy it.

Imagine going touring around Scotland ... land of my dreams......... sigh

I get sentimental just thinking of Morar near Skye on the West coast where I was born...... and a VW like that................ sigh again

One reason for wanting to build up business window cleaning is so as I can do just that.

And Hi Texas

You are an inspiration. Keep going girl.

matt

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2005, 11:20:22 pm »
i like the 6 K in "IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT"

the bus has it all execpt a camping interior, no cooker or sink

oh and if it was Right hand drive, you could add another 5 K on the price ;)

Londoner

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 09:04:14 am »
I don't have any grand plans, although I can easily understand why others may want to keep expanding.
The idea of trying to keep tabs on a couple of crews sounds like a nightmare to me.

In an ideal world you could send them out in the morning and back they come at night having earned you loads of dosh.

The reality i suspect is far different. My whole game plan revolves around keeping life as simple and uncomplicated as possible.

Small is beautiful, but good luck to you all.