Neil

Book, Palm or Memory
« on: November 22, 2003, 09:10:20 pm »
Hi everyone
I have been up and running for a while now and things seem to be going well (I may need to speed up a bit to hit 72k though. lol) Up till now I have been putting all my contacts details such as address cost how often into a small book which I take with me day-day.
Lately the book has got scruffy what with constant use and changing details as my round grows daily so I was wondering what kind of system you guys use to manage your round.
I know there is software out such as George but at £50 it seems a lot. Are there any books made just for window cleaners?
Neil

STEVE71163

Re: Book, Palm or Memory
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 09:20:08 pm »
Hi wylie,
           You can buy a day book with a plastic cover from the federation but i personally use George and pocket George so all my work is on my palm and it re schedules for you :) I dont know if you have bought much software before but £50 for software like this is a steal. ::) I know of simular window cleaning software that is about £400 :o

Steve

matt

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 09:53:52 pm »
Steve, is the software a Download, or does it come on a CD ??????

Neil

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 10:26:01 pm »
Steve
I have looked at your website (its good)  :) :) :) so I guess your company is well established with possibly a few employees. Do you think George is suitable for a small one men band or maybe its a bit overkill. ???
I am not afraid of technology as I was a computer programmer before I got into windows I am just trying to keep things as simple as possible!
Neil
ps Matt i found George at http://www.georgesystems.co.uk/

STEVE71163

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 10:42:32 pm »
Hi Matt and Wylie,
                           Thanks for your comments on my website, I put it together with Frontpage last year. George is a download and it also gives you a trial which i would do to have a look. It was put together by Paul Sanders who in my opinion has done an excellent job and we are always getting updates. It is perfect for the small window cleaning company (One man bands) :)

Good Luck with it  ;)

Steve

matt

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 11:17:54 pm »
thanks

i will have a look

matt

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 11:20:28 pm »
in reply to the original post  ;)

i use a book, its a small notebook from WH smiths, leather cover and the book bit is refillable, as the leather bit is wider it keeps the paper ok inside

wrote out the address, name and price, then left 2 blank lines to put a tick thats its been done, then a "p" to say they have paid  ;D

it works well enough

Mikey Warner

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 11:32:51 pm »
Hello fellow cleaners, Last night I actually came to the end of my free trial of the george software :( Then after 5 mins thought "how can i live without it now??" :-/ :-/ So I shelled the £50 out and registered.

Steve I agree with you totally about George, It's so simple to use and does all that you want,... and more!!

Mikey

Neil

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003, 11:13:22 am »
Thanks Guys :) :)
I have downloaded George and will see how I get on over the next few days. :)
I was talking to a mate the other day who has been in the bussines for 30 years and he keeps his round in his head :o the thing that amazes me is his round is constantly changing so god knows how he does it ???
Anyone else manage to do it this way ??? ???

sham33

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2003, 12:17:31 pm »
I cant even remember what i did the day before  :-/

George Systems

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2003, 12:46:14 pm »
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the nice things you have said about George - it's greatly appreciated.

One small point tho - Steve said "It was put together by Paul Sanders". Although I did write it - and I'm still writing it :) - it was actually based on some ideas by my mate Peter Barclay of Apex Window Cleaning who I met one drunken night in my local pub. He said he couldn't find any affordable software for window cleaners and I offered to write him some.

That was three years ago and now we have users all over the world (see http://www.georgesystems.co.uk/Who_uses_George/who_uses_george.html)

I'm really glad I went for a beer that night !!

Paul

paul

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2003, 05:57:18 pm »
HI ALL IVE BEEN PLAYING WITH THE FREE VERSION OF POCKET GEORGE AND FIND IT QUITE GOOD BUT AT THE MOMENT ALL MY GUYS HAVE PRINT OUT OF THE WORK THEY HAVE TO DO . HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR A HAND HELD SYSTEM

George Systems

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 06:37:38 pm »
Hi Paul

Give your guys a Palm each and they can all carry their Rounds in their pockets.

At the end of the day, plug each Palm into your PC, press the button and you have all their Sales and Debt information transferred to your PC and the next day's work transferred to their Palm - no paper and no effort required.

Currently the cheapest new Palm machine is the Zire - less than £60 from Amazon but your can probably get it cheaper if you shop around.

Paul

Bonzer

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 07:36:43 pm »
I've been using George and pocketgeorge for about nine months now and I find it invaluable. I could never go back to using paper. IMHO £50 is a very small price to pay for a superb piece of software. I got an old Palm V off Ebay for £50 and could not be without it. The hassle avoided when collecting is worth the outlay alone.

The support from Paul is very good. I've been in touch with a few queries and Paul has always promptly answered my questions and even included my suggestions in the next version of the software.

Regards

Matthew

matt

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 08:43:59 pm »
whats the min spec of a palm required

George Systems

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2003, 12:47:10 am »
Hi Matt

PocketGeorge will be happy on any Palm machine running PalmOS 3.5 or above - which is most of them.

You can buy the basic Zire model from Amazon for about £60 but it's probably available for less if you shop around.

Paul

matt

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2003, 01:03:40 am »
thanks Paul :)

i have just brought 1, and i thought it looked nice and small :)

dont think it uses palmOS though :(, are well, i guess another eletronic toy to play with :)

George Systems

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2003, 11:09:48 am »
Hi Matt

What Make and Model is it?

Paul

matt

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2003, 12:28:45 am »

PALM@TE PDA

will tell you when it arrives, by the looks of it, its more a organiser :(, was only 25 quid (so not much lost)

George Systems

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2003, 01:19:35 am »
Hi Matt

I don't think it runs PalmOs - but let me know when you get it.

Paul