traps7

IBC Tank
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:25:32 pm »
Is it ok to use a second hand IBC tank off say ebay for a static system? It just seems so much cheaper.

NWH

Re: IBC Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »
Clean it out properly with TFR just a tad of it and rinse it,try and get 1 that`s had orange juice in it or similar.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:33:34 pm »
I must admit that`s what i did i just got a 1000ltr upright brand new that way you know where it`s been and what it`s had in it.

Window Washers

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:39:09 pm »
Is it ok to use a second hand IBC tank off say ebay for a static system? It just seems so much cheaper.
buy one off a window cleaner and save your money use that to pay a canvasser while you put your feet up no need to clean out either  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

steve bell

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:43:06 pm »
I got twoIBC's. One for (what I like to call 'RAW' water) I collect from my roof seeing as how I'm on a water meter. Then the other is the 'PURE' tank which I have on two course of breeze blocks which the RO runs into.
I put the whole thing in a shed to keep it from the algea problem associated with sunlight. (or rather built the base, put the blocks down, mounted the IBC's and then built the shed round it all.) The only down side is keeping the 'RAW' tank topped off if it doesn't rain. Have considered some sort of electrical cut out so the pump doesn't run dry, even though the pump is said to be safe should it run dry.
I really should post some pics, if only to have someone say I'm doing it wrong.

As far as cleaning them out goes, Yeah it's a faf on. depends if you have the money to spend on new. I didn't. And I guess I already had a good idea of what I wanted and how I was going to get it. BEWARE of IBC's that have had the 'ADBLUE' which is used in commercial vehicles now. It is basically a synthetic version of urea (Pee for short) The vehicles use it to reduce emmisions. Jet washing, scrubbing, sloshing, then half filling with pure and sloshing around at least twice should sort it. There speaks the voice of experience. Also, after it's all set up, never fill the pure tank to overflowing as you'll never really clean the inside top of the tank properly. shame to waste all that pure by over filling.
Steve Bell,
SB Cleaning.

(also; HIP & EPC provider but with this climate.....)

Window Washers

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »
I got twoIBC's. One for (what I like to call 'RAW' water) I collect from my roof seeing as how I'm on a water meter. Then the other is the 'PURE' tank which I have on two course of breeze blocks which the RO runs into.
I put the whole thing in a shed to keep it from the algea problem associated with sunlight. (or rather built the base, put the blocks down, mounted the IBC's and then built the shed round it all.) The only down side is keeping the 'RAW' tank topped off if it doesn't rain. Have considered some sort of electrical cut out so the pump doesn't run dry, even though the pump is said to be safe should it run dry.

As far as cleaning them out goes, Yeah it's a faf on. depends if you have the money to spend on new. I didn't. And I guess I already had a good idea of what I wanted and how I was going to get it. BEWARE of IBC's that have had the 'ADBLUE' which is used in commercial vehicles now. It is basically a synthetic version of urea (Pee for short) The vehicles use it to reduce emmisions. Jet washing, scrubbing, sloshing, then half filling with pure and sloshing around at least twice should sort it. There speaks the voice of experience. Also, after it's all set up, never fill the pure tank to overflowing as you'll never really clean the inside top of the tank properly. shame to waste all that pure by over filling.
lol, sod the rain water im on a water meter, and all that messing about for now seemed to much hassle for the cost saving. when i get a bigger place then maybe i will look into that again, there are loads of window cleaners selling there ibc's get one of them and save the washing and hassle
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

collins82002

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:50:47 pm »
brought mine local £40 delivered and cleaned.  Cleaned it myself too,  just to make sure

seandyer2003

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:00:32 pm »
theres a place on estate behind me sells em caged on palates, steam cleaned in all sizes for about £30 each !!!

Window Washers

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:02:31 pm »
theres a place on estate behind me sells em caged on palates, steam cleaned in all sizes for about £30 each !!!
You should sell them on ebay Sean  ;)

seandyer2003

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:56 pm »
When i first joined CIU i tried to sell them but i put a mark up on of £20 as you would, otherwise why bother, and then with delivery an avg of £50 it was £100 and no one wanted to pay it, but i would happily get one for people who need it :)

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=58669.0

thats the post i did a year or so ago

If anyone is interested still i will see if i can still deliver em for £100 cleaned - not baffled is only thing...

If you want one email me seandyer2003@yahoo.co.uk

and i will look into delivery as last quote i got was last year

sean

traps7

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:29:07 pm »
Where can you get new ones from then and for roughly how much? I was only looking at them because I don't need it to be a baffled tank as it will be part of a static system and the only other 1000 litre tanks I've seen are baffled and over £350. I wasn't being a tightwad it's just this is a big difference in price for a plastic tank with a tap and screw top.

seandyer2003

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:41:34 pm »
Where can you get new ones from then and for roughly how much? I was only looking at them because I don't need it to be a baffled tank as it will be part of a static system and the only other 1000 litre tanks I've seen are baffled and over £350. I wasn't being a tightwad it's just this is a big difference in price for a plastic tank with a tap and screw top.

Look up :)

traps7

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:46:45 pm »
I was hoping someone else might have already so I wouldn't have to!

matt

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »

lol, sod the rain water im on a water meter, and all that messing about for now seemed to much hassle for the cost saving. when i get a bigger place then maybe i will look into that again, there are loads of window cleaners selling there ibc's get one of them and save the washing and hassle

not exactly a green type of person then eh

rain water is great, its eco friendly

steve bell

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:16:07 pm »
Exactly Matt,  (not that I'm a particularly Green person) I was loooking at the practical option due to being on a water meter. That and the fact I have lowish water pressure. If the RO is running and I'm in the shower I get a burnt back when the booster pump kicks in. By running a 'RAW' tank and a 'PURE' tank set up (and next doors hose pipe, occasionally) I am a happy bunny and pure water is cheap.
Steve Bell,
SB Cleaning.

(also; HIP & EPC provider but with this climate.....)

seandyer2003

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 02:24:08 pm »
Next doors hose pipe lmao hahahaha

ftp

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »
Think I paid about forty pounds for mine second hand on ebay from a depot in Bristol, it was already jet washed and ready to use. Collected it myself. Several drinks manufacturers etc use them - keep your eyes open and you can get them for next to nothing. Traps, you're not far from Bristol I can give you directions if you like.

matt

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 04:49:32 pm »
traps, was it you who was from weston  ?? ?

as i know of a place just outside minehead that has them

traps7

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
Yes I am from Weston. ftp's is a lot closer but thanks matt.
And yes ftp if you could post directions or an ebay contact or address. Thanks.

WCE

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »
Ro Man used to have them S/H for £65 but they are not on the sit anymore. Might be worth ringing them on the off chance.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

ftp

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »
Do you know the Fiat garage in Brislington? There's an industrial estate behind it and a print suppliers on it called Pulse they sell them. Got to go swimming now i'll look for more info later. It was two years ago - they might not be there these days - i'll find out.

traps7

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 07:22:20 pm »
ok thanks.