Where's the Hole?
« on: September 08, 2008, 05:43:03 pm »
A few recent posts about a new window cleaning programme heralding a new dawn. And of course many of already swear by george. But there is a whacking great hole in the business model for either of these to succeed long term.
How many of you know what it is?

I will post the answer later, i just thought you might like a brain teaser, and there is absolutley nothing wrong with either programme.

Paul Coleman

Re: Where's the Hole?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »
A few recent posts about a new window cleaning programme heralding a new dawn. And of course many of already swear by george. But there is a whacking great hole in the business model for either of these to succeed long term.
How many of you know what it is?

I will post the answer later, i just thought you might like a brain teaser, and there is absolutley nothing wrong with either programme.

Tax bill calculator?  Calculation of capital expenditure?  Apportionment of expenses that have shared business and personal use?

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »
I'm not critising either programme, both are great. I'm saying there is a problem in their business model for the longevity of their businesses.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »
I'm not critising either programme, both are great. I'm saying there is a problem in their business model for the longevity of their businesses.

Sorry.  Didn't read your post closely enough (wasn't trying to change the subject again - honestly)  :)  .
At a guess, I would hazard that the problem might be that upgrades seem to be free.  Some time down the line, this could be a disincentive as, after the initial rush, the income stream would be a trickle after the deluge has gone.  Is that what you meant?  I suppose a way around this could be that updates are free but eventually, a full upgrade would be chargeable (with the usual discount for owners of the previous version).

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 07:50:14 pm »
Not a lot of interest I see, never mind. Good try Shiner.

I have a paid for copy of george, and i have it on three computers, but it might as well be on ten.I also have several external memory sd cards and sticks with memory points saved.

So anyone with a legitimate copy can share this with someone who doesn't want to pay.That i believe is a big hole in the revenue stream, and a sufficent brake on earnings to deter continued programme development. IMO of couse.

Please feel free to move this

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
Ypu will get the same in all walks of life, ie software piracy, music piracy , shoplifting, these things you will never stop.

Even if you take every precaution the freeloaders will always find a way around it