xxmattyxx

Re: Well, it works, can you tell what it is?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »
Is the pressure/weight of the water sufficient to overcome the head of what, four feet?  In other words, do you lose any rain water failing to pass through the resistance of both the height of the pipes involved and the presence of resin in it?

As the right hand side fills so does the left hand side, some law of nature ensures this happens (gravity, the law of spirit-levels  ;D )

Thats why the left hand side one is lower, as the right fills so does the left, then when it reaches the top of the left pipe it runs into the butt.

Tim Rose

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 05:17:12 pm »
And also, your drain off tap on the tanks will prevent any crud/resin being drawn off as it sinks to the bottom.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »
Should do.

bluez

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 05:19:55 pm »
I think you could package that and sell it as a diy water harvesting system specially designed for window cleaners 8)

€495.00 Plus fitting, I'll be your Irish agent. ;D ;D
hi

xxmattyxx

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:18 pm »
Its a deal  ;D

poleman

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »
Good move - beat the WFP ban  ;) (if it comes)

Andy

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 05:46:09 pm »
Looks great. I am looking at implementing a similar system shortly at our new commercial premises. The roof has an area of in excess of 3000sqft so should collect a large quantity.

My only concern would be that it would not be able to cope with a downpour as the back pressure would create a delay in the pipework. I was thinking of having large tray of resin halfway down the downpipes that would then allow the water to percolate through with no back pressure. Any thoughts?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 05:56:59 pm »
Wondering if you had a settlement chamber, an area that size to collect water from could create a real torrent. A settlement chamber could be made using something like a water-tank thats used in lofts for cold water storage, the inlet one end and outlet the other, allowing the resin to settle before running out. The larger the pipe diameter the less likely this is to happen as the flow would be slower through a large pipe.

Maybe with the inlet in a baffled off area, so any turbulence was minimised before the water hits the resin, and the water then flows over a wier into the chamber where the resin is.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
That looks like it could really work well. I'm sure I know someone who could make a tank like that for me!

I thought you might have a solution for me, then I could have it feeding into 2x 3200 litre holding tanks.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:33 pm »
If you also had the divider fixed to the sides of the chamber but with a gap underneat it this would ensure the water would flow THROUGH the resin, ensuring optimum contact thus ensuring the water was cleaned as well as possible.

Matt

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:18:42 pm »
Have to say guys this is highly interesting, keep the posts coming  ;)

aztec

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »
matty you like using the word ensure or ensuring mate dont you!!!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »
matty you like using the word ensure or ensuring mate dont you!!!

;D

aztec

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 06:23:02 pm »
seriously mate well done i think you are on to something, but for gods sake dont tell customers its rain water you are using! we all know how hard it is to convert them anyway!!
please ENSURE me of this matty!!!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:24:43 pm »
seriously mate well done i think you are on to something, but for gods sake dont tell customers its rain water you are using! we all know how hard it is to convert them anyway!!

You could just call it harvested recycled water.  This way you don't mention the word rain water, you're just assuring them of it's green credentials.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:03 pm »

Fret not.

See I didnt use the word ensure, I ensure you I'll never use it again.

ensure

aztec

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:26 pm »
recycled water!!! then they Will say you are taking the P*SS (pun intended!!!)

xxmattyxx

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:20 pm »

You could just call it harvested recycled water.  This way you don't mention the word rain water, you're just assuring them of it's green credentials.

Ive been telling my custys the water I'll be using when I go over to WFP next week is pure water, I dont care so far as theyre concerned whether the water board have got their hands on it first or not, its pure...............dadumn!!

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »
I collected some off my garage roof. TDS 32, (pure rainwater was tds2). I was told on here that this extra was carbon bits off my dirty roof and gutter and I would be better putting it through a filter to remove these bits.

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
recycled water!!! then they Will say you are taking the P*SS (pun intended!!!)
forgive me if i am wrong, but tap water is recycled anyway, rainwater is just cutting the middle man out