xxmattyxx

Well, it works, can you tell what it is?
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:48:23 pm »

xxmattyxx

Re: Well, it works, can you tell what it is?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:50:13 pm »

Tim Rose

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 04:55:59 pm »
I was tempted to say it was some sort of sediment filter, but here's no drain that I can see.

So the answer is: a pointless exercise in using up plastic pipes.

aztec

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:56:36 pm »
why does that pipe have to be so long mate and go down then up?

Tim Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »
why does that pipe have to be so long mate and go down then up?
That was my point.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:59:49 pm »
Well, Rosy, Im sure it would act as a sediment filter, but it isnt one.

Aztec, the reason it is so long is its intended to hold DI resin.

It is a DI container, no need for a pump, rain-water here seems to come in at about 10ppm this now creates water with a ppm of 0.

Matt

aztec

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:00:21 pm »
just to collect rain water!!!

surely you arent that hard up you cant turn on your tap!!!

as if we need to save water at the mo!!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:01:21 pm »
Just doing my bit, thought it was quite good to be honest, still horses for courses.

Matt

aztec

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02:30 pm »
i wasnt having a dig mate well done for trying

Tim Rose

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:02:48 pm »
So you've packed resin into the white pipes, or partly.  How do you stop it washing out into the green bin?

Tim Rose

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 05:03:52 pm »
just to collect rain water!!!

surely you arent that hard up you cant turn on your tap!!!

as if we need to save water at the mo!!
The hell with saving water, I'm more for saving money - I'm on a meter!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 05:07:36 pm »
So you've packed resin into the white pipes, or partly.  How do you stop it washing out into the green bin?

Those pipes, the down and up, will hold Id imagine about 5 litres of resin all told. But theres no need for that much, a litre or 2 would last a good while, rain-water running through those pipes will run slowly, nowhere near fast enough to wash resin out, gravity keeps the resin inside the pipes essentially.

I intend to replenish resin when its needed with about a a litre in each side, so I'll put a litre of resin through the top of the left hand pipe via a funnel and a litre through the top of the right hand pipe similarly, its easier to put in if you liquify it (mix it with water) runs better.

Matt

Matt

bluez

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 05:08:10 pm »
Looks very clever, I'd guess the resin is heavier than water so only fills the U. or else some sort of filter fitted either end of the u to stop it being washed out.

Is the black pipe feeding it able to be disconected to allow for the right type of rain?
hi

bluez

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »
So much for my guess then :)
hi

aztec

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:03 pm »
you could put a mesh on the end to stop the resin i spose mate, just to be sure

xxmattyxx

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
Looks very clever, I'd guess the resin is heavier than water so only fills the U. or else some sort of filter fitted either end of the u to stop it being washed out.

Is the black pipe feeding it able to be disconected to allow for the right type of rain?

Thanks.

Yes it can be disconnected, so it can just be left to run onto the ground or even just straight into the bin.

Matt

steven ainger

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »
i was thinking of putting some tights either side of the resin to act as  filters

Tim Rose

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:53 pm »
Is the pressure/weight of the water sufficient to overcome the head of what, four feet?  In other words, do you lose any rain water failing to pass through the resistance of both the height of the pipes involved and the presence of resin in it?

Tim Rose

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 05:13:50 pm »
i was thinking of putting some tights either side of the resin to act as  filters
Good idea, I like to see things used more than once.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »
The pipe that runs into the bin at the top will probably have some filter floss stuffed into it.

Nothing more, Im really not anxious about the resin being washed out, that'd have to be a helluva of a downpour to do that, Im sure if that was the case the diverter would overflow first, thus depleting the amount of water going through the resin anyway.

Matt

xxmattyxx

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 05:15:38 pm »
Is the pressure/weight of the water sufficient to overcome the head of what, four feet?  In other words, do you lose any rain water failing to pass through the resistance of both the height of the pipes involved and the presence of resin in it?

As the right hand side fills so does the left hand side, some law of nature ensures this happens (gravity, the law of spirit-levels  ;D )

Thats why the left hand side one is lower, as the right fills so does the left, then when it reaches the top of the left pipe it runs into the butt.

Tim Rose

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 05:17:12 pm »
And also, your drain off tap on the tanks will prevent any crud/resin being drawn off as it sinks to the bottom.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 05:18:03 pm »
Should do.

bluez

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 05:19:55 pm »
I think you could package that and sell it as a diy water harvesting system specially designed for window cleaners 8)

€495.00 Plus fitting, I'll be your Irish agent. ;D ;D
hi

xxmattyxx

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:18 pm »
Its a deal  ;D

poleman

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 05:27:38 pm »
Good move - beat the WFP ban  ;) (if it comes)

Andy

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 05:46:09 pm »
Looks great. I am looking at implementing a similar system shortly at our new commercial premises. The roof has an area of in excess of 3000sqft so should collect a large quantity.

My only concern would be that it would not be able to cope with a downpour as the back pressure would create a delay in the pipework. I was thinking of having large tray of resin halfway down the downpipes that would then allow the water to percolate through with no back pressure. Any thoughts?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 05:56:59 pm »
Wondering if you had a settlement chamber, an area that size to collect water from could create a real torrent. A settlement chamber could be made using something like a water-tank thats used in lofts for cold water storage, the inlet one end and outlet the other, allowing the resin to settle before running out. The larger the pipe diameter the less likely this is to happen as the flow would be slower through a large pipe.

Maybe with the inlet in a baffled off area, so any turbulence was minimised before the water hits the resin, and the water then flows over a wier into the chamber where the resin is.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
That looks like it could really work well. I'm sure I know someone who could make a tank like that for me!

I thought you might have a solution for me, then I could have it feeding into 2x 3200 litre holding tanks.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:33 pm »
If you also had the divider fixed to the sides of the chamber but with a gap underneat it this would ensure the water would flow THROUGH the resin, ensuring optimum contact thus ensuring the water was cleaned as well as possible.

Matt

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:18:42 pm »
Have to say guys this is highly interesting, keep the posts coming  ;)

aztec

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:27 pm »
matty you like using the word ensure or ensuring mate dont you!!!

xxmattyxx

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »
matty you like using the word ensure or ensuring mate dont you!!!

;D

aztec

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 06:23:02 pm »
seriously mate well done i think you are on to something, but for gods sake dont tell customers its rain water you are using! we all know how hard it is to convert them anyway!!
please ENSURE me of this matty!!!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:24:43 pm »
seriously mate well done i think you are on to something, but for gods sake dont tell customers its rain water you are using! we all know how hard it is to convert them anyway!!

You could just call it harvested recycled water.  This way you don't mention the word rain water, you're just assuring them of it's green credentials.

xxmattyxx

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:03 pm »

Fret not.

See I didnt use the word ensure, I ensure you I'll never use it again.

ensure

aztec

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:26 pm »
recycled water!!! then they Will say you are taking the P*SS (pun intended!!!)

xxmattyxx

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:20 pm »

You could just call it harvested recycled water.  This way you don't mention the word rain water, you're just assuring them of it's green credentials.

Ive been telling my custys the water I'll be using when I go over to WFP next week is pure water, I dont care so far as theyre concerned whether the water board have got their hands on it first or not, its pure...............dadumn!!

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 06:32:22 pm »
I collected some off my garage roof. TDS 32, (pure rainwater was tds2). I was told on here that this extra was carbon bits off my dirty roof and gutter and I would be better putting it through a filter to remove these bits.

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »
recycled water!!! then they Will say you are taking the P*SS (pun intended!!!)
forgive me if i am wrong, but tap water is recycled anyway, rainwater is just cutting the middle man out

Tim Rose

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 06:39:29 pm »
Looks great. I am looking at implementing a similar system shortly at our new commercial premises. The roof has an area of in excess of 3000sqft so should collect a large quantity.

My only concern would be that it would not be able to cope with a downpour as the back pressure would create a delay in the pipework. I was thinking of having large tray of resin halfway down the downpipes that would then allow the water to percolate through with no back pressure. Any thoughts?
I doubt your landlord would approve.  Have you read the lease?  I would not alter the building without permission, tbh, as you might open a can of worms.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:42 pm »
I know this may sound odd, but if you had an anti vac this  may stop the problem of back pressure, I fitted one on a basin as it kept back filling a bath if you emptied the sink.

steven ainger

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 07:32:31 pm »
i dont like the idea of having a filter in line to hold the bits of crud that gets washed down the pipe as the water will be flowing through the debris and getting more dirty, i was thinking of having a rain water hopper or large funnel cut at an angle at the top with some sort of porous membrane stretched accross it, so the water just flows through and the debris tumbles off the side.

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »
i dont like the idea of having a filter in line to hold the bits of crud that gets washed down the pipe as the water will be flowing through the debris and getting more dirty, i was thinking of having a rain water hopper or large funnel cut at an angle at the top with some sort of porous membrane stretched accross it, so the water just flows through and the debris tumbles off the side.
aquatics filter maybe, cant see how debis would go to side but maybe could be done I dont know. filter could be rinsed out say weekly  :-\

xxmattyxx

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:48 pm »
All I can say to that is that the resin cleans the water, the evidence is that the water coming out the outlet pipe is 0ppm. And my gutters are as full as the next blokes with minging gunk.

Matt

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 07:39:51 pm »
All I can say to that is that the resin cleans the water, the evidence is that the water coming out the outlet pipe is 0ppm. And my gutters are as full as the next blokes with minging gunk.

Matt
if it works m8  ;D

Ian W

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »
I have a couple of water butts. Think I might give this a go too. Well done Matt!
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

simbo

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »
i was just in the process of drawing up something similar, if as me your on a meter this is a superb idea.
who said window cleaners have no brains eh,
simbo

xxmattyxx

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
Working by yourself gives you plenty of time to think  ;D

Now what was my next plan..................?

ah yes....I'll get back to you about that one  ;)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:57 pm »
matty dont know how you draw the diagrams of the tanks but they look good maybe look on some of the koi websites for settlement tanks they work on the same principle as your diagrams to filter the water of crap and principle could be applied to rainwater first tank removes gunk next one contains resin last one settles stray particles might be worth a look :)

xxmattyxx

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2008, 08:58:27 pm »
 ;D  ;D

I keep marines (salt-water corals), the design for Alex's settlement tanks came from the sump tank I have underneath my main fish-tank

;)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
nice one  ;D ;D i might have to have a look into this as my dad has several large (and i mean large) sheds on the farm big roof area got to be worth a bit of research

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2008, 09:12:02 pm »
Ideally I would have a particle filter before the settling tanks.

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 09:13:14 pm »
;D  ;D

I keep marines (salt-water corals), the design for Alex's settlement tanks came from the sump tank I have underneath my main fish-tank

;)
Respect to you there matty, I know marine coral is not the easy option in fish keeping (should I say water keeping)

off tobic for a mo, sea horses have you tried keeping there, they are very hard work, my dad owns a few Aquatics shops. may fav marine is pork puffy, looks like it you annoy it, also lion fish hated cleaning that tank when I run one of the shop but when showing off look fantasic  ;)

Tim Rose

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 09:13:37 pm »
Ideally we'd all have 10,000l tanks buried in the garden.  ::).

xxmattyxx

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:35 pm »
;D  ;D

;)
Respect to you there matty, I know marine coral is not the easy option in fish keeping (should I say water keeping)

off tobic for a mo, sea horses have you tried keeping there, they are very hard work, my dad owns a few Aquatics shops. may fav marine is pork puffy, looks like it you annoy it, also lion fish hated cleaning that tank when I run one of the shop but when showing off look fantasic  ;)

Nought wrong with Lion-Fish, this was one from last year

in The Red Sea  ;D

if you wanna check out keeping sea-horses this is the best Marines Forum on the net

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:06 pm »
matty dont know how you draw the diagrams of the tanks but they look good maybe look on some of the koi websites for settlement tanks they work on the same principle as your diagrams to filter the water of crap and principle could be applied to rainwater first tank removes gunk next one contains resin last one settles stray particles might be worth a look :)

I was going to say something similar about 2 hours ago but had to go out.
1st tank is a settlement tank with an exit point onto the the next stage about 3 quarter the way up the tank. Any debris will settle to the bottom. Also you wouldn't get this rush of water through the 'DI' as the pipework will only allow so much water through.

Personally I'm going to stick with tap water. I pay for the frigging stuff so I'm not helping the water money making machines to make more profit.

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38:11 pm »
looks like some kind of still.....your love of tatties gave it away......is it to make potcheen? ::)

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2008, 09:50:58 pm »
fair point neil and i know its off topic but if you are on a water meter do you claim it against tax?

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »
sorry i really should post that as a topic on its own

xxmattyxx

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:27 pm »
looks like some kind of still.....your love of tatties gave it away......is it to make potcheen? ::)

???

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 10:07:53 pm »
Matty, is that you in your fish tank?

xxmattyxx

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2008, 10:24:13 pm »

In my AV? Yes.

Was taken on the same dive as the Lion-Fish pic above.

Matt

Tim Rose

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 09:20:17 am »
What's that funny-looking thing dangling down from etween your legs?   ;D

*foxman

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 09:33:10 am »
Good idea. But i think your making things far more compicated than they need be..

Just have the water run directly into the tank with a filter for large debris and then pump the water into the van tank with a DI tank filtering on the way out. You can do away with fancy tanks and pipe work for an easier soultion. ???

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:22 am »

In my AV? Yes.

Matt
Matty what hair products do you use, as your hair look perfectly combed.
You should send that to tigi  ;)

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 04:47:39 pm »

???

i didnt think it was wfp related as it would be too obvious..........wouldnt have taken a lot to figure it out....i know people think window cleaners are dummies, but ::)....hence i understood you were being obtuse 8)...and were trying to test us.....and i took that the potatoes reference in your posts was a thinly veiled clue to the question.....but i was way out wasnt i?...och well.....just a newbie. :'(

jouk45

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 05:42:09 pm »
i think i have found the perfect filtration for rain water plus its cheap,
only £45

http://www.alternativetechnology.info/3pfilter.htm

xxmattyxx

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:08 pm »

???

i didnt think it was wfp related as it would be too obvious..........wouldnt have taken a lot to figure it out....i know people think window cleaners are dummies, but ::)....hence i understood you were being obtuse 8)...and were trying to test us.....and i took that the potatoes reference in your posts was a thinly veiled clue to the question.....but i was way out wasnt i?...och well.....just a newbie. :'(

You lost me, again, perhaps Im tired.

Good idea. But i think your making things far more compicated than they need be..

Just have the water run directly into the tank with a filter for large debris and then pump the water into the van tank with a DI tank filtering on the way out. You can do away with fancy tanks and pipe work for an easier soultion. ???

Fancy tanks?

It hasnt got bells on it, its just a water-butt.

Oh well, just trying, thats all, thought it might be a good idea, oh well, back to the drawing board.

In my AV? Yes.

Matt
Matty what hair products do you use, as your hair look perfectly combed.
You should send that to tigi  ;)

Yea I know bizaree that aint it Ian, 'ere I was up in your neck of the woods today, St Neots, Great Gransden, Biggleswade.

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 10:31:23 pm »
but if you are on a water meter do you claim it against tax?

I'm not on a meter, but yes if it's business related you can claim it as an expense. But only the proportion that is business related NOT the whole lot because some of it will be for personal usage.

jonah

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:12 pm »
Love the fact that your prepared to go into the tank and prove its ok.....respect .

xxmattyxx

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2008, 08:26:43 am »
Love the fact that your prepared to go into the tank and prove its ok.....respect .

;)