Poll

How much of you're regular work do you expect to have lost for the foreseeable future.

None, I probably will have more.
20.9%
14 (20.9%)
Exactly the same
19.4%
13 (19.4%)
Probably lost about 10%
31.3%
21 (31.3%)
Probably lost about 25%
13.4%
9 (13.4%)
Probably lost about 33%
7.5%
5 (7.5%)
Probably lost about 50%
4.5%
3 (4.5%)
Probably lost about 65%

0 (0%)
Probably lost about 75%
1.5%
1 (1.5%)
Probably lost about 90%

0 (0%)
Dunno, Im outta the game after this debacle.
1.5%
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Slacky

In three months....
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:07:05 pm »
Thought it might be worth looking at how much we expect the current situation to affect us long-term.

Although I've picked up some nice work since all of this kicked  off (that work has now been done) Ive also lost so far about £1,000 worth of regular work.

Pleased to say a commercial has re-instated two contracts for the next three months, which I was concerned about. 

So it's swings and roundabouts at the moment for me,  although I do expect the virus to affect my income, negatively. Three months down the line I think consumer confidence will be at an all time low. Its confidence which will be the causation of any ill effects for us as a business. Im thinking you may be ok today, but after three more weeks of lockdown, which is coming, and then a very very slow return to some place called normality over the following 3 months, in to the start of autumn, will take it's toll on our businesses.

Rob.Hall

Re: In three months....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:17:16 pm »
I think you are on the ball there Slacky..

Ooooooog

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 02:17:56 pm »
Most of our regular work is annual. We’re just bumping it along a couple of months.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:36:20 pm »
i voted no change...ill probably have more in 3 months time....

i just cant see me losing any work TBH...and ive already picked up 7 new jobs in the last 3 weeks without trying.....all my well priced childrens homes said carry on(government funded)as their still open and are key workers,the childrens nurseries might be on hold for a month or 2 but will need cleaning again when they reopen fully.....ive also got add on jobs that i do for my regular customers booked in for the next few months......i also put over half my prices up last month so im already earning more for the same work.......

price higher/work harder!

Rob.Hall

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:14:22 pm »
It will be interesting to see the stats in September October.

If companys start laying off staff big time and businesses fold because of the economic impact from cv then everything will change.

The big one which we all forget about is inflation. If that takes off everyone will be hit unless you are financialy sound.

Now that was a scary time for me years ago...my mortgage interest rate was 12.5%.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 03:16:42 pm »
I have voted 10% but is probably nearer 5% at the moment, which is mostly commercial. I have picked up quite a few domestics lately but that is usually the case at this time of year.

Phil J

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
I feel the reverberations of this will be felt for a lot longer than 3 months.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
if you think you ll lose lots of work itll be a self fulfilling prophesy for some of you......THINK POSITIVE!just get out there and do what you can......

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 03:46:47 pm »
Daz, if you think you'll lose a lot of work it might inspire you to do something about it.

Ive already lost £1,000 of work in the last three weeks; d'you think that automatically means Im going to lose another £1,000 because Im thinking about that?

If anything it makes me more determined to DO something about it and not be fatalistic, which is what you're trying to say it seems.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 03:48:51 pm »
Daz, if you think you'll lose a lot of work it might inspire you to do something about it.

Ive already lost £1,000 of work in the last three weeks; d'you think that automatically means Im going to lose another £1,000 because Im thinking about that?

If anything it makes me more determined to DO something about it and not be fatalistic, which is what you're trying to say it seems.

i wasnt pointing fingers at you personally matt!it was just a general comment not directed at any specific window cleaners!

andyM

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 04:17:04 pm »
I can't help but feel pessimistic about the situation to be honest.
I've been through two confirmed recessions but i feel there is potential for financial hardship that has not been seen in my lifetime.
I hope i am proved wrong.
But the longer the situation goes on the deeper in the mire we will be.
I feel there is a sense in some people that if they "hibernate" everything will be alright when we come out of the other side.
But unfortunately our Western economies won't endure it.
One of the Plebs

gary999

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 04:28:28 pm »
During the financial crisis in 2008 GDP dropped by 2%......talking about a loss of 35% if the lockdown stays until June
likely we will only see the true cost once the furlough has ended and we see who is left standing. Over two thirds of my work
is with  the rinse and set brigade or public sector workers. If i keep 75%-80% of my work i will be okay plod on until the end of
the year give myself and everyone else time to breathe..then with any luck be able to crack back on in 2021.

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 04:36:40 pm »
I can't help but feel pessimistic about the situation to be honest.
I've been through two confirmed recessions but i feel there is potential for financial hardship that has not been seen in my lifetime.
I hope i am proved wrong.
But the longer the situation goes on the deeper in the mire we will be.
I feel there is a sense in some people that if they "hibernate" everything will be alright when we come out of the other side.
But unfortunately our Western economies won't endure it.

Exactly.

I've worked self-employed through two recessions and to be honest I really don't remember being affected by them. Maybe because there were fewer window cleaners about in those days. Who knows.

I can't help but feel this is likely to be a different scenario altogether and will require real concerted effort, thought and application to get through it in a reasonable financial shape.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 04:43:30 pm »
10% at the most.

At the moment I'm probably 2 down, lost a handful picked up a handful.

Had a lot of skippers that may or may not come back.

But either way It won't break me, even if I lost a lot I can easily replace them once this is over. There's thousands of houses out there and not everyone is going to be affected by this.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 04:44:46 pm »
I looks like it will be very tough for some and it will effect everyone in some way
Spit and polish

andyM

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 04:48:55 pm »
I've worked self-employed through two recessions and to be honest I really don't remember being affected by them. Maybe because there were fewer window cleaners about in those days. Who knows.

I can't help but feel this is likely to be a different scenario altogether and will require real concerted effort, thought and application to get through it in a reasonable financial shape.

I just don't think the penny has dropped with a lot of people who are just at home chillin' in their garden or wherever thinking that when the Holiday is over the reset button will be pressed and we will just all carry on as before.
Sorry but i just don't think that's gonna happen. 

One of the Plebs

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 04:50:50 pm »

I just don't think the penny has dropped with a lot of people who are just at home chillin' in their garden or wherever thinking that when the Holiday is over the reset button will be pressed and we will just all carry on as before.

Why not?

For some, you are right they will lose jobs but as a window cleaner we lose work we just go get some more, loads of people will still want their windows cleaning. I don't expect to be affected much at all by this..unless I get it and die of course.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 05:00:15 pm »
Wouldn't like to be in Retail window cleaning Oasis and Warehouse just gone pop more to follow.
Spit and polish

andyM

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 05:10:33 pm »

Why not?

For some, you are right they will lose jobs but as a window cleaner we lose work we just go get some more, loads of people will still want their windows cleaning. I don't expect to be affected much at all by this..unless I get it and die of course.

Yeah sorry im talking generally, as in the the effect on the economy, jobs and businesses it will have, not just to us millionaire window cleaners.     
One of the Plebs

deeege

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 05:34:55 pm »
I’ll be down anywhere between 10% and 50% depending on a few larger jobs.

I’ll have to tighten my belt with outgoings/holidays etc for a few years and hopefully can replace what will be lost, this won’t be easy with a massive recession looming.

Have already picked up an extra £100 per month in domestics in the last couple of weeks so not all doom and gloom I suppose.

The whole thing just feels like a massive kick in the balls for me as I feel my work was nearly exactly where i wanted it to be. We have our health though so there’s plenty worse off than me.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."