trafficjamz

Really dirty water
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:11:04 pm »
About 6 months ago our old RO system membranes died and we had to decide whether to replace the membranes or upgrade to a better system.  So we decided on the latter and went for a 4021.
Since upgrading, we have been more attentive to the prefilters, as we don't want to kill this more expensive membrane.

We noticed the filters getting dirty very quickly. The recommendation is to change the sediment filter every 10,000 litres. But even after 3,000 litres, the sediment filters turn really brown. So we're now going through loads of filters. And even had to buy some carbon filters too as these were being contaminated.

We called the waterboard, who were as helpful as a hankie for a scrim. They gave 2 excuses, one was that due to a factory closing down, the water doesn't get flushed  as much as it used to.  And the 2nd was that there could be a split pipe, and we'd have to wait for them to replace our pipes to plastic ones with no time scale given.
Surely this water is even not even good enough to drink!

So we're really stuck as to what to do other than replace the sediment filter like every other fill and the carbon filter every 5 fills.

Don Kee

Re: Really dirty water
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 07:23:22 pm »
When you say 'after 3000litres, do you mean 3000litres of pure or 3000litres actually going through the pre filters?

Remember that for every 1000litrrs of pure you'll get at least double that going through your prefilters (waste) depending on youre pure/waste ratio

SeanK

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
Traffic its very easy to get paranoid after forking out a few quid on a RO membrane, firstly don't worry about your
sediment filter as you wont get any damage to your membrane even if it falls apart, its only there to prolong the life of the
carbon filter as it would block up with sediment quickly if you have a high sediment content in your water.
Personally I would change the filters every three months and only change the sediment earlier than this if its getting blocked
and slowing down water production, take no notice of the colour.

trafficjamz

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:44:39 pm »
Oh, you also need to take waste into consideration? I didn't know that.
60/40 ish.
So it's normal to change sediment filter every 3000 ltr of pure?

Our old RO that we had for years lasted a lot longer than that.
Curiously, that only died a few weeks after having brown water through the taps, caused by a burst main pipe. Maybe the issue never got fully resolved.

trafficjamz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:45:20 pm »
Thanks for that SeanK.  Something to think about

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 07:52:20 pm »
Oh, you also need to take waste into consideration? I didn't know that.
60/40 ish.
So it's normal to change sediment filter every 3000 ltr of pure?

Our old RO that we had for years lasted a lot longer than that.
Curiously, that only died a few weeks after having brown water through the taps, caused by a burst main pipe. Maybe the issue never got fully resolved.
i wouldn't think that normal really, i certainly dont change that often. Another thing you could do to get a better idea when the pre filters are getting clogged up and need changing  is put an inline pressure gauge after your pre filters take note of the reading after putting in brand new pre filters  and then when the pressure starts to drop (say 1 bar) then you know thats the time to change them (better that way then going by the colour of it).

I reckon your right about the burst pipe being the cause, years ago at my old lock up they had the water off for the day for repairs on the main road when it was put back on the amount of brown water that came through was unreal, eventually it did go away.
Also make sure you buy good quality pre-filters not the cheap junk from china

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:03:31 pm »
What area are you in trafic?

I have been having the same problem for the last few months!! I think it's due to Welsh water refurbishng the mains in my area!

trafficjamz

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:31:18 pm »
We do have an inline gauge. We seem to have different pressures at different times though.
Another thing is setting the pure/waste ratio perfectly every time, it's tough with the gate valve.  Might need to open the gate valve fully and add some other kind of valve that can be preset to the correct ratio.

Yes I'm in Anglesey.  Dwr Cymru

p1w1

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:50:46 pm »
We do have an inline gauge. We seem to have different pressures at different times though.
Another thing is setting the pure/waste ratio perfectly every time, it's tough with the gate valve.  Might need to open the gate valve fully and add some other kind of valve that can be preset to the correct ratio.

do you use a booster pump

robert mitchell

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 10:07:26 pm »

The way round that is to build a bypass with some elbows and a tap, that way you can leave the gate valve in its optimum position but when you open the tap on the bypass the water will take the path of least resistance and go to waste .   
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 04:12:55 pm »
There's loads of sediment in the water down south at the mo always is after heavy rain,changing the first filter will prolong the life of the second and get you a far better reading after RO. I now know if after RO it's above 3-4 it's time to change the sediment filter at least.