A quick whinge about price increases...
« on: May 15, 2006, 06:07:32 pm »
I've just had (another) phone call from a customer who complained about my price increase.

I put this ladies price up from £7.00 to £8.00.

She says friends of hers who live in Tunbridge Wells (we're in Chepstow, South Wales) are only charged £7.00 for their similar priced house; and that's in London (I'm not sure where-abouts in London it is mind).

So she's asked to go every-other-month.

I did explain she might be to find cheaper window cleaners, but if they're too cheap, they're probably not insured and maybe even haven't registered their business for tax purposes.

I also told her if she wants to find another window cleaner; she's welcome.

If she wants it every-other-month, then I'd charge her £10.00.

She agreed; but reluctantly.

I may just drop her.

She's probably skint because of the garage she's just had built and her six-week holiday to Australia.

Makes you sick; I'm just to sensitive.

Sir Squeaky

Re: A quick whinge about price increases...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
She says friends of hers who live in Tunbridge Wells (we're in Chepstow, South Wales) are only charged £7.00 for their similar priced house; and that's in London (I'm not sure where-abouts in London it is mind).
Good geography Tosh! ;D

It's about 50-odd miles from London, it's in Sussex.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:30:39 pm »
The only windows you will get cleaned for £7 in London would be your front windscreen of your van !

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:20:30 pm »
Good geography Tosh! ;D

It's about 50-odd miles from London, it's in Sussex.

Hi Squeaky.

Try Kent   ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:41:32 pm »
Oops! :-[

jon adams

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:45:30 pm »

Bet they got loads of water in Tunbridge wells, could be a bit dodgy extracting it though.

Jon

dai

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:58:50 pm »
The man from BT came to fix my phone. Changed the box on the wall and told the Mrs that I had a faulty modem filter. He was gone in 10 mins and the Bas--rds have just added £55 call out fee to my bill.
And some moan about paying £8 for a 20 MIN WINDOW CLEANING JOB.
I paid the bill less the £55. I'm not paying that. The phone had a fault with the filter removed. I tried it. Dai

macc

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 09:24:04 pm »
whats her friend got in tunbridge wells, a tardis, shes talking out of her bottom.  ::)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:37:59 pm »
whats her friend got in tunbridge wells, a tardis, shes talking out of her bottom. ::)

Good one! ;D You do the insides and I'll do the outsides; deal?
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 05:19:36 pm »
This lass has really got my goat!

The thing is, when she moved here, from London or Tunbridge Wells, she was all in a 'pickle', so not only did I plumb in her washing machine for her, I basically did a builders clean, inside and out, for the cost of a routine clean.

I made a rod for my own back I think.

But I hate the thought that she considers me a 'rip-off merchant'.  It is an extremely fair price.

I'm going to post her a letter explaining my side of the story, telling her I'm dropping her from my round and provide her with all the local window cleaners telephone numbers, and let her find a new one.

If any of you local window cleaners to me, get a phone call from 'The Retreat'; make sure you charge HIGH!

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »
Tosh, don't let her get to you, thats crazy, there are many other customers out there who would be happy to pay the going rate and you will easily replace her.

Why waste yet more of your time and money writing to her???

Drop her, wait til SHE calls you and tell her you have replaced her with a better customer who is paying the going rate!!

Something to learn though Tosh, don't get into doing favours, customers will try an get whatever they can for nothing and the likely chance of you every being repaid is NIL. I clean windows and clean windows, if she wanted a plumber tell her to call 118118

Don't worry about her mate, she ain't worth it!!!!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

dai

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:00 pm »
Tosh, the national average wage is now £25000 a year. I don't make that after expenses, and my misses works with me 3 days a week. I had one moaning today about paying a fiver, and that was for 7windows and a patio door. I told her that I lost 2 days work last week which we don't get paid for. We also never had a holiday last year. I havn't got a mortgage to pay either. The cheeky bitch then said I could claim lost days back off the tax. Tax, with two of us in a parnership it would be nice to earn enough to pay tax. Some people still see us as half a crown merchants.
The problem with window cleaning is that we are a kick in the concience for some people. They know that if they wanted they could do their own. Many windows now allow you to clean from the inside. They would like, or feel they should be doing it themselves. They feel lazy for not doing it. Every time we come round they feel a sense of guilt, and resent us for it. The more we ask them to pay, the more guilty they feel.
I stress this is only some people. But, their are quite a few of them out there. DAI

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:14:32 pm »
Tosh

I've found if you get that certain feeling that says 'drop them' then don't hesitate.

I've been suprised at how many times my intuition has been correct.

Also, anyone that moans about a £1 increase and justifies it based on a friend who lives in Tonbridge which is in London Sussex Kent is just nit picking. My veiw now, and it wasn't so long ago it was different, is someone who nit picks is best forgotten.

I don't mean that horribly but I want to clean the windows of people who either just pay up and say nothing, pay up and are polite or who appreciate having their windows being done. I enjoy my job and I enjoy doing a good job and nowadays, these little black spots on the days worklist are not wanted.

As for doing a favour, I am now so carefull about doing them as so often, it is quickly forgotten.

Cheers

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 11:18:34 pm »
Tosh

I've found if you get that certain feeling that says 'drop them' then don't hesitate.

I've been suprised at how many times my intuition has been correct.

Also, anyone that moans about a £1 increase and justifies it based on a friend who lives in Tonbridge which is in London Sussex Kent is just nit picking. My veiw now, and it wasn't so long ago it was different, is someone who nit picks is best forgotten.

I don't mean that horribly but I want to clean the windows of people who either just pay up and say nothing, pay up and are polite or who appreciate having their windows being done. I enjoy my job and I enjoy doing a good job and nowadays, these little black spots on the days worklist are not wanted.

As for doing a favour, I am now so carefull about doing them as so often, it is quickly forgotten.

Cheers

I know what you mean about the intuition regarding customers.  I will always get it wrong sometimes but it happens a lot less than it used to.