drew86

vat to register or not
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:53:07 pm »
hi all could you tell me if its worth registering vat,just buying a van £525 vat added contacted inland revenue they said i would have to register to claim back, but would have to charge customers vat, what do you do.
It was this big.

David 'Duck' Clare

Re: vat to register or not
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:06:35 pm »
hi VAT is very simple

if you want to clain VAT back you a> need to register and b> will forever more have to charge people VAt i.e. a £10 house would now be £11.75.

also your accounts would need to show VAT and you need to pay your VAT bill every quarter and ...well it goes on

unless you are over the VAT treshold (its about £60k i think) i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole if i were you

i have another company that has to be registerred and it is a right load of ********. IMO

there you have

now if you only want your £525 back - your way off the mark, as the VAT man will come visit you every 2 yrs or so and expect to see depreciation of the vehicle and all of your personal milage accounted for etc

why invite your books to be looked at for no reason???

DC

drew86

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:11:16 pm »
thanks david,thats more or less what the woman at the inland revenue was saying,i was wondering tho if it would affect me quoting for commercial work would buisness accounts require me to be vat registered.
It was this big.

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:12:11 pm »
some on here would say yes

however my window cleaning business is not VAT registerred and i have a few big commercial contracts so in my case no

however - commercial contracts do expect you to say 'im quoting £100 + vat'...sometimes i say ill charge you £117.50 including all taxes on my quote, they dont need to know what 'all taxes' means!!

DC

sair

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 05:10:27 pm »
they will when they see your invoices and there is not a vat number. why not just say its £120 . 00 and earn more
Essentially Pure Ltd

derek mckeon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:17:21 pm »
better still keep your gob shut to many people on this site giving to mutch imfo on how mutch they are earning soon you will have mister tax man following you round

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 05:43:04 pm »

however my window cleaning business is not VAT registerred and i have a few big commercial contracts so in my case no

however - commercial contracts do expect you to say 'im quoting £100 + vat'...sometimes i say ill charge you £117.50 including all taxes on my quote, they dont need to know what 'all taxes' means!!

DC

What happens when they try to claim the VAT back?

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 06:28:20 pm »

DC

Agreed, If you're not registered don't make out you are, otherwise you will open up a whole can of worms.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:55 pm »

DC

Agreed, If you're not registered don't make out you are, otherwise you will open up a whole can of worms.

your all way off the mark here and not taking the point - im not charging extra...im spelling out to the client that the price i give includes all taxes and is not a price plus vat that i havnt bothered to tell them about.

now its up to you...personally i wouldn't register until you have to

DC

jon adams

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:55:45 pm »

Hi David,
               Your quote letters sound vauge and could be interpreted as including vat which could lead you onto sticky ground including making it difficult for your customers. Just be straight and add a note saying you are not VAT registered.

Jon

Trevor Knight

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »

Hi David,
 Your quote letters sound vauge and could be interpreted as including vat which could lead you onto sticky ground including making it difficult for your customers. Just be straight and add a note saying you are not VAT registered.

Jon

Agreed

drew86

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 09:10:17 pm »
thanks everyone didnt mean to cause a stir,i dont think i will register and just be honest with potential customers.
It was this big.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 07:07:18 am »
Thats the best way Drew, What I also used to do in my early days, was if I knew of a big contract that was was up for tender and part of the criteria was VAT and accounts etc... I would speak to a bigger firm that I knew and ask if I supplied the details could I sub the work from them if they got the contract. Did this several times and it worked really well. :D