ScrimShady

Vickan Brushes
« on: May 11, 2006, 01:54:55 pm »
Just want your views on Vikan Brushes as i have heard that they are not very good and leave spots.
Which brushes do you think are the better ones?
I have a gardiner pole so i would like it to fit on there.
thanks all
Scrim

Jon T.C.

Re: Vickan Brushes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:22:57 pm »
Hi Scrim,

Bought a pole from Gardiners a couple of weeks ago, with Vikan brush. NO problems with either.

Regards Jon
Elite Cleaning Solutions

Count Phil

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:00:30 pm »
don't be a nunce. Get one of gaza's brushes. You'll find posts on this site. Put the vikan in the bin or use for your car. It'll be the best thing you ever do.

ronaldo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:49 pm »
I use Vikan on all my poles, great brushes never had any problems with them  ;D
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

ronaldo

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:03:18 pm »
don't be a nunce. Get one of gaza's brushes. You'll find posts on this site. Put the vikan in the bin or use for your car. It'll be the best thing you ever do.

Another one in shares with Gaz!!

H h20

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:07:28 pm »

Another one in shares with Gaz!!
I`m not in it to make a lot of money as all my brushes are more affordable,so it`s more of a window cleaner helping other window cleaners  ;D,Gaz

ronaldo

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:14:43 pm »
I no what your saying Gaz my old pal, and there nothing wrong with a bit of choice as regards to what brush you purchase  ;)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:31:52 pm »
Could any one tell me the weight of their basic VIKAN brush approx would do ? Please, pretty please ?

pjulk

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 04:33:05 pm »
I only use Vikan brushes and never had any problem with them.
My next pole will also have a vikan brush

Paul

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 04:45:58 pm »
Hi Jeff,

The Jetted Vikan weighs in at about 435g, we have however just done a deal with a major brush manufacturer for a lightweight brush and this will weigh about 185g.

On the subject of what is the best brush, we have used Vikan for 5 years now and have never found spotting to be a problem.

We have tried Gaz's type of brush the Salmon brushes and have found them harder acheive a decent scrub of the window pane, but many swear by them.

The fact is that you will usually get used to whatever you have been using, and a decent WFP'er will usually be able to get a top class finish with most brushes.

Alex

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 05:12:06 pm »
hi i've always used vikan brushes never had any problems i never understand what all the fuss is about. ;D

ScrimShady

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 07:28:07 pm »
i do need another brush Gaz, i am making up my own 2'pole.
which one would be best?
and a brush for conservatory roofs?
How much with postage?
You can Email me on richa479@aol.com if you want
Cheers
Scrim

H h20

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 07:32:23 pm »
i do need another brush Gaz, i am making up my own 2'pole.
which one would be best?
and a brush for conservatory roofs?
How much with postage?
You can Email me on richa479@aol.com if you want
Cheers
Scrim
Hi Rich,sent email,Gaz  ;)

dougster

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 09:56:35 pm »
gaz, would like a price for a brush please, thanks dougster

H h20

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 10:04:38 pm »
gaz, would like a price for a brush please, thanks dougster
dougster,sent you email,Gaz ;)

spotless2000

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 10:20:15 pm »
we have however just done a deal with a major brush manufacturer for a lightweight brush and this will weigh about 185g.

Alex

Any idea when it will be ready?

Is this to replace the Vikan brushes that you supply or in addition?

Price?

Cheers

Steve

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 10:30:51 pm »
Thank you Alex.
 Generally if you trim say an inch off the bristle length of any brush it will increase the scrubbing power dramatically, go to 1/2 inch bristles and it will "remove paint" so you can recycle your brushes for minging jobs.
I use me wifes elec. razor ? :)

Morph

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 12:50:30 am »
Hi Jeff,

The Jetted Vikan weighs in at about 435g, we have however just done a deal with a major brush manufacturer for a lightweight brush and this will weigh about 185g.

On the subject of what is the best brush, we have used Vikan for 5 years now and have never found spotting to be a problem.

We have tried Gaz's type of brush the Salmon brushes and have found them harder acheive a decent scrub of the window pane, but many swear by them.

The fact is that you will usually get used to whatever you have been using, and a decent WFP'er will usually be able to get a top class finish with most brushes.
Alex

Take note....

jouk45

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 01:02:18 am »
Iv used the vikan brush for years with no probs, but  i like the idea that  gaz has with the swivel on the brush head, i think that would be a good idea  on a vikan head to, jouk45

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 08:11:39 am »
Hi Jouk,

we can supply Vikan brushes with a swivel on them, I must get around to putting them on the website as we have them in stock.

Alex

Newby

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 08:51:05 am »
Vickan brushes are flocked brushes and will attract dirt and cob webs, where a filament brush head, like tucker poles (best on the market) and ionics wont, Vickan have been used for years for just cleaning trucks.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 09:01:09 am »
Hi Spotless,

They will be introduced within a month and will be in addition to the Vikan range.

Alex

jouk45

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 02:19:31 pm »
Vickan brushes are flocked brushes and will attract dirt and cob webs, where a filament brush head, like tucker poles (best on the market) and ionics wont, Vickan have been used for years for just cleaning trucks.

so if it attracts dirt, it gos back on the truck and makes it dirty again  ??? ????does not make any sense or vikan has got it wrong.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 07:39:44 pm »
Flocked brushes (Vikan)wont scratch paintwork/plastic but monofilament will. Some of the newer car washes now use boars head or natural bristles.

a.j.menzies

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36:39 pm »
I prefer the vikan brushe over the salmon i put the salmon brushe in the bin i did

Londoner

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 08:15:07 am »
I have not been doing WFP long enough to form any comparisons but at the end of the day my aching shoulders are telling me that weight is important. Vikan Brushes are well made and sturdy but I am considering drilling a few holes in mine to produce a "race tuned" version.

steve k

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 09:03:34 am »
Vikan are great brushes...no problems at all...been using for a year now.
Tried a Gaz brush but found the bristles just too soft...they virtually flattened out on the glass and I was nearly touching the glass with the brush base.
Vince, the aching is due to the weight of the pole complete with water and not just the brush head. Try moving the brush around at full extension without water just to see the difference in weight and handling.
A pole up to 20 feet is like waving a lollipop around...anything higher gets proportionally more physically difficult the higher you go.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 09:16:06 am »
I have not been doing WFP long enough to form any comparisons but at the end of the day my aching shoulders are telling me that weight is important. Vikan Brushes are well made and sturdy but I am considering drilling a few holes in mine to produce a "race tuned" version.

Wot a good idea! Getting my drill out as soon as I've had breakfast!
It's a game of three halves!

Londoner

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 09:34:10 am »
Yes Steve you are right but any weight that can be got rid of or reduced is a bonus. I know the pole and the water weigh more but over the course of a long day everything takes its toll.
The fact is that in the past the people who bought pole systems generally weren't the people who used them because they were largely in the hands of the big cleaning companies.

Now that has changed and the systems are being bought by people who will be using them day in day out.

I predict that these users will become a lot more discerning in what they buy because it affects them personally. This is the first time I have ever seen weight mentioned in this context, in the past price was the sensitive issue.

The only parallel I can use to illustrate my point is the example of keen cyclists who spend thousands on their bikes. The cost is virtually all down to what the various component parts weigh.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Vickan Brushes New
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006, 10:37:17 am »
On a pole that weighs "nothing" a 1lb brush at 28ft actually needs 14lb liftimg moment. So even 4oz can mean an extra 3lb, theres a little bit of chat about brush weights here  http://d.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=257
Vince I like the corellation with light bicycles. Malc When race tuning your brush drilling holes be careful not to drill thro the angled bristle anchors or it will go bald. Get a workmate out and surform off the back and sides of the brush. (usually good for 2 oz) With injuries and H&S you all need a very light weight brush,  especially when using near the horizontal and to the left or right.
As a note about  Salmon brushes, If it says Vikan on the label it is a Vikan, if it says Salmon on the brush head, its a Salmon. If it doesnt say Salmon or Vikan then its something totally different.