Wales and South West   
June 1  Brecon  Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting' 
June 6  Wrexham  Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting' 
June 8  SW Wales, Ina Bearngs  Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting' 
June 15  Barry  Workshop at Dow Corning 
June 20  Angelsey  Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting' 
June 27 Newport, Holiday Inn  Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting
'

I see the Southwest is being ignored again just like on the National Weather reports!  :)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Moderator David@stives

Re: ladder safety questions
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 11:00:07 pm »
yes thats what i thought ,i wouldn't have minded going on one.

Where are you based

Dave

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 09:46:37 am »
wheres the cheapest place to get a Rojak system from?

Elite WC

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 10:42:42 am »

They do them at www.soapnational.co.uk

I'm thinking about getting one. They sell 18" width stoppers and and 24" ones. Does anyone know if it is safer to get the 24" one?

Morph

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 10:59:20 am »

I'm thinking about getting one. They sell 18" width stoppers and and 24" ones. Does anyone know if it is safer to get the 24" one?

they are basically the same, safety wise.
But 24" just gives you a wider mat to foot your ladders on
Mines 18", that's heavy enough to lug around, along with everything else!

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 11:15:38 am »
I bought some ladder mitts recently and they are very good - i wouldnt used the ladder without the now!

I think ill get one of those Rojak things as im fed up with the sand bag!

DC

baldeagle

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 04:34:18 pm »
I might go for one of these ladder "'ave it away" days; and if they are free I might have two!!

Can't find Cheshire and North Staffs Gas Forum Height Aware 'Breakfast Meeting'  on the Search Engine.

Any further clues, anyone?

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

JohnL

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 07:02:35 pm »
Dave

yes thats what i thought ,i wouldn't have minded going on one.

Where are you based

Dave

mid way between Minehead, Taunton & Bridgewater on the coast where the Quantocks fall into the sea

:)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

davetherave

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 08:05:35 pm »
thanks guys for the advice its much appreciated . hopefully i wont break my neck now this weekend

sunshine windows

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »
If i was you Dave, i'd start saving up a few pennies and invest in an 'A' frame ladder. The ladder tapers in at the top to a point where there is a rubber block for stability. They are absolutely brilliant and in my opinion you can access most windows far quicker than with a normal ladder.

Cheapest place i found them is www.midlandladders.co.uk

Hope this helps,
Sunshine
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 09:40:13 pm »

abacus

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 10:13:58 pm »
 Hi all I know I am new to the foram but shorly we should be looking to give help on being a pro and being safe. It is against H&S to roof walk even if it is low. My brother fell from a garage roof broken limbs cost in pain reputation and loss of earnining and your life is worth more than a couple of quid I will not clean windows for people who want me to risk a fall or a fine, if your inexperienced at  ladders dont chance it,  access to flat roof, remeber the ladder has to be 1 metre above the roof  dont lean the ladder against the gutter use a ladder- stay  under the gutter against the facia board or wall. rojaks are the dogs and mitts are a must if you are new to ladders the quickest way is the safest way your a long time dead.  the rojack works on surface area therfore as long as the ground is resonably even the 24 is better  But I find the 18 is good for doubles  but not triples its not wide enough.

I can recomend wfps but you should still know how to use a ladder safely  good idea to take one of those courses be lucky but best be safe
best regards   grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 10:29:50 pm »
Most of Squeekys comments are tongue In cheek I personally find them  quite amusing, He has made one comment about resting a ladder on a gutter and gets his head bitten off  ??? everyone works differently people can only be informed of the risks then the choice is down to the individual, I have got at least 3 jobs where I have to rest my ladder on a plastic gutter to get onto flat roofs with these jobs I always find the gutter joint then place the ladder rung in between the clips so it stops any sideways slip I dont intend using my pole on them because of the angle and the fact that on two of them Im up one side then down the other to get into the back garden I could be ruthless and ditch the jobs now I'm wfp but I'd rather not, I'm sure dave will take on such jobs as being a newbie he'll take what he can, also possibly not having much confidence he'll struggle to say no too customers. I do agree that they are a dangerous part of the job though.          
Sussex by the sea

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 10:43:34 pm »
Chris

A newby was asking for advice in fact a complete novice ,if someone was giving advice would that same person accept responsibility in the event of an accident.

It is ok telling someone how you would do it but dont advise others to do the same if it is clearly a breach of current safety practices and the wahd.

I think we all have a responsibility to give correct and safe advise to complete novices.

It was not tongue in cheek ,it was completely the wrong advise.

I have seen gutters break under the weight of a ladder and when it happens to you, it will make your heart skip a beat.

If people use bad ladder practice well that is up to them but please dont encourage others to do the same. just keep it to yourself

Dave

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 10:48:48 pm »
Most of Squeekys comments are tongue In cheek I personally find them  quite amusing, He has made one comment about resting a ladder on a gutter and gets his head bitten off  ???         
Too right, I'm going to get it for the slightest thing these days. :-\

Alright, so it may not conform to your wfp heavy forum, but I took the time to write quite a long post which I hoped would be helpful.

I thought it was nice to see someone learning the trade, and I tried to encourage him, rather than telling him it was too dangerous suddenly after 100's of years.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 11:09:35 pm »
Squeeky

You clearly stated bad practice, i would give the same advice wether i was using ladders or wfp, in fact as much as i hate to i still have cause to use my ladders on occasions ,so this is nothing to do with wfp.

IT IS ABOUT SAFE USE OF LADDERS, AND NOTHING TO DO WITH WFP.

It has always been dangerous , but we are much more aware these days of the dangers of ladder use.

When i first started i did not have all this info available at my fingertips and now i have it has certainly made me sit up and take more care.

I think the dangers should be pointed to all newcomers especially, then after the correct advise they can choose to take it in or ignore that is down to the individual.

your intentions may have been good, but you should keep bad ladder practice to yourself.

Nothing personal

Dave

abacus

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 11:19:41 pm »
Hi squeeky  
Im not part of the wfp heavey forum I ve been working on ladders most of of my life  and its not suddenly dangerous after a hundred yars it always was I used to claen windows 10 mts high over spiked rails when my brother pointed out in one of his philasophic moments (as he smoked a fAg because that wont kill him, right) that we were risking our lives or to be more correct I was, he only used the double,  for just 50p per window at the time. I went out and got a wfp its quicker its safer risk your life if you like but not that of others esp newbies  Keep it simple keep it safe theres enough work out there thats safe you dont need the other stuff  most of my customers would rather I mist the odd widow if it can,t be cleaned safely than not have any cleaned or look for another window cleaner
but Im not looking to knock anyone and your comments are often helpful best regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved

Paul Coleman

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2006, 12:12:00 am »

Best to check with the guy at Soap National (David I think) but I think you would only need the larger Rojak for point ladders as they have splayed ends.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2006, 12:20:43 am »
Dave the ladder mat is a cheaper allternative if your on a tight budget and also handy for uneven ground.
Sussex by the sea

h.m.services

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2006, 02:13:26 pm »
You could do worse than look on the HSE website they have some free downloads on ladder safety and also some toolbox talk items which may be helpful. If you have any difficulties just drop me a mail and I can mail them on to you as I keep them on my library file.