carl stanton

pilkington activ
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:50:25 pm »
just out of interest has anyone lost out on work because of this new glass pilkington have made, self cleaning, every so often i see it advertised and i worry, as i always do  ::)
i did read in a which report that its not as good as lead to beleive but is better than normal glass

Re: pilkington activ
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:25 pm »
I lost one last month to pilkington's self-cleaning glass.

I didn't like the account anyway, so it was no hard cheese.

gsw

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:56:27 pm »
surely this miracle glass cant get rid of birds muck? i have enough trouble with 000tds!!!

carl stanton

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:00:07 pm »
surely this miracle glass cant get rid of birds muck? i have enough trouble with 000tds!!!
no no like the which report said it better but not the last time a window will be cleaned, so it can be cleaned half as much! so if wfp about 3x a year!!  :o
it still gets dirty thank goodness!! cost a bit to buy anyways!
tosh you may see another window cleaner doing it at some point!!  ;D

The Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 09:11:13 pm »

It does not clean the frames does it?

I have a customer who said that when he had the glass fitted, also he thinks that WFP is great and he has no intention of getting rid of me.

I don’t think they will all be like that though.

gsw

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 09:13:31 pm »
theres a lot of glass out there to be replaced before we are having to worry.

carl stanton

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 09:13:54 pm »

It does not clean the frames does it?

no the glass has a coating!

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 09:15:33 pm »
I had a customer ask me about this couple of weeks ago his conservatory roof has this self cleaning glass though its covered in bird muck and has not stayed clean!!! so i don't think it's going to have any impact!

carl stanton

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:15:56 pm »
tosh
what is a 419 scamer, no im not blond! totally of the subject i know!  ::) had to ask

craig jwc

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:21:56 pm »
I posted about the same thing a while ago.

Look at their website.
It says that you will have to clean them in prolonged dry spells.
Also we don't get the weather that often where the rain is horizontal due the wind which is what is needed to clean them.
The frames still need cleaning.

Craig

carl stanton

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 09:24:41 pm »
i feel better now the cloud of woe has blown away, till next time!
tosh i asked you a qustion!!  >:(  >:(

KJG

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 09:36:39 pm »
How about having a knock back at this Pilkingtons con glass. If we all put on our flyers and web sites etc something 'along' the lines of:

------------------------------------------
Attention Pratingtons self cleaning glass:

As you may already be aware, it doesn't actually work. Unfortunately, we will not clean this glass as it's coating is easily damaged and we will not be held responsible. 
------------------------------------------

I don't know if the above is true but so what, neither is Pilkington's claim.

carl stanton

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 09:41:13 pm »
kjg like it sounds good to me!! i thimk there is truth in what you say, as on pilkington download dockument it said not to use a rubber/ squeegee!
silly pratts!!

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 09:55:09 pm »
I clean a building which has glass panels 220 foot length x 46 feet high self cleaning glass..........millions of pounds to build this building....but i clean it every month without fail...

macc

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 10:25:56 pm »
what about cobwebs etc,  ???

AHHHH, built in duster.  ;D

rosskesava

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 10:44:30 pm »
We do a few places with that cr*p self cleaning glass. It has a funny feel to it when you mop it, almost like there is grit on the glass, and the squeegie almost seems to stick as if there is no slip.

As posted above, bird poos will not vannish even after rain, neither does salt (in coastal areas) and neither does traffic film.

Before Christmas we did one huge country Georgian place that had Pilkington Self Cleaning Wonder Glass and the owner asked me to clean half a paine of glass. When he saw the difference between the two he went absolutely berserk. Not at me, but at the fact he'd paid something appraoching £60 000 for the whole place to be done in Pilkington glass just because it was self cleaning.

We had a phone call from last him month saying that he was having standard glass put back in which would be finished by the end of this month and to go and give them a clean when it's done.

He didn't like the tint of the self cleaning glass. Must be nice to have money to spare like that.

Anyway, self cleaning glass? Maybe it does self clean in ideal circumstances but I wouldn't worry about our futures being at stake.

KJG

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:20 pm »
....... Maybe it does self clean in ideal circumstances but I wouldn't worry about our futures being at stake.

It's not so much that, it's just these, for want of a better word, liars, are having a pop at our livelihood. I’m off to slap the missus.

mick40

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 11:32:18 pm »
I picked up 14 houses in an estate with self cleaning glass.Customers were unhappy at the claims the glass was self cleaning as the windows were in a mess.Not a bad hours canvassing at a tenner a shot. :)
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

carl stanton

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:10 pm »
good stuff mick!! prehaps its a pro for us then!!  ;D
pilkington  :-X  :-X

mick40

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 11:53:22 pm »
Pilkington bring it on lol.
had a woman come up to me today asking if i would clean her windows in and out,i said yes and asked her where she lived and when she wanted them cleaned,she said tomorrow.I went tonight to have a look at what i was up against and it turns out its a new build :( not my favourite.strange thing is its not even finished yet and the place is like a bombsite.spoke to the builders and they cant believe she wants her windows cleaned just now.think i will put her off for a while.
if i eat myself will i be twice as fat or will i disappear?

jeff1

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 12:55:20 am »
Don't know if this is true, but i have heard that if you clean this pilkington glass, you can damage the film that covers it, and you have to get them to sign a disclaimer. reading all the threads I think its window cleaners 10 pilkington glass 0 well done to all you guy's who have gained customers with pilkington glass.

My motto is:- do a good job and your customer tell's very few people, But do a bad Job and they tell everyone, human nature, and i think those people with that glass will tell an awful lot of people so are jobs i think will be safe.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 06:09:44 am »
Was awarded a local College contract recently that had Self Cleaning Glass fitted, like everyone has said, the frames were terrible and the bird mess just sat there, so now I clean the whole building 4 times a year for a nice £400 a clean!

Cheers Pilkington - I owe ya a beer  ;D
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 08:19:34 am »
funny enough ;D I said this on radio some 3/4 years ago you will never get shot of wc plus theres nothing like your good old chat with them ;D pilkington :-\
more like plonkington ;D
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

ronniemc

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 02:53:19 pm »
Lost my first customer today through self-cleaning glass.

I had a good chat with them about it as I am genuinely interested in how things progress.

They have been promised by the glazing company that bird droppings will just disappear like magic overnight!!
Part of the sales pitch was phone your window cleaner now and cancel him.

I`ll keep an eye on how it goes.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:48 pm »
If that was me I would ask who told her to cancel my services and get his details. I would then call him and explain if he continue in this manner you would right to his manager/boss and complain as it should be the customers choice not his say so. Also point out that should his boasts not come true you would contact your local paper and explain his quotes and mis-representation about his so called wonderful galss that so doesn't stay clean forever. Think that will shut him up!

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

KJG

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 04:18:27 pm »

I had a good chat with them about it as I am genuinely interested in how things progress.

They have been promised by the glazing company that bird droppings will just disappear like magic overnight!!

What are you going to say to this gullable punter when he/her phones you to come back in a couple months? If you want to pass on their number, I've got some guaranteed magic beans I'd like to sell to them :)

carl stanton

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 05:34:15 pm »
here is a pdf link for activ glass, note the if it should need cleaning notes!!  sorry sorry when it needs cleaning!!
self cleaning yes yes mr plonkington!!  :P
http://www.pilkingtonselfcleaningglass.co.uk/HTML/supplier/InformationBooklet.pdf

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D    ;D     ;D     ;D    ;D

ronniemc

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 06:15:00 pm »

What are you going to say to this gullable punter when he/her phones you to come back in a couple months? If you want to pass on their number, I've got some guaranteed magic beans I'd like to sell to them :)

She is a policewoman.
Maybe a job for the fraud squad ;)