Sir Squeaky

Wfp pricing
« on: May 07, 2006, 07:22:40 pm »
Just a question...which will probably earn me a  load of abuse rather than honest replies. ::)

I read through the discussion Steve K had a link to in his post about pricing.
Interesting stuff, but what I wonder is this....

Most of those prices were really low, and you merit a lot more, but now with the advent of WFP is it still justified? ???

Thing is, we've always had the reasoning that we're risking life and limb doing something that the customer wouldn't want to do by being up a ladder. :o

It can be horribly hard work at times.
Now you're on the ground with a big brush, is it really worth as much?
I think prices will come tumbling down.

It could be to the trad cleaners advantage if there's fewer of us, as we'll be able to justify charging a bit more :)

Don't give me all this "We clean the frames" as I can do that too for very little charge.

This isn't a criticism, nor trying to start arguements.
It's not "danger money" now....
Honest opinions?

Rog. :)

AuRavelling79

Re: Wfp pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »
You just know you want to don't you Squeaky? You're simply gagging for it! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:33:59 pm »
When I show customers the van the first statement is, "I bet that cost a bit" they then realise price will be high.

jeff1

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:35:45 pm »
Hi Rog

No argument from me i am still trad, but i am going wfp in the next few months, and to be honest i cant wait,

I have already been priming my customers for the change over.
Most of there comments have been about the price being increased, because after i have explained about the overall out lay, and the cost of producing pure water, a few of them have told me to increase there price to help.
I dont intend to increase prices but keep them the same
and my feet will be firmly on the ground, got to be quiker so my profit is bound to increase.
Don't forget one point, in the back ground i think it is probably the insurance company's who started the ball rolling with the hse on ladders, if this is the case i think we will find it very hard in the future to obtain any insurance

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:41:09 pm »
Jeff1 - just a suggestion - if your customers say they expect a price increase and you feel bad about doing it just start saying "Only a modest increase, I just need enough to put towards replacing filters and things as they wear out" then add 10% and round up to the nearest quid.

I mean to say they're obviously gagging for it aren't they? ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:53:38 pm »
Squeeky

I think we are safe there is more glass than window cleaners and with a shortage of 1 million houses in the uk and more and more houses having conservatorys built and having there fascias and gutters changed to white upvc.
We have just got a faster cleaning mechanism to keep up with it all.

My customers are happy with what i charge and even if some one came along for half the price i can confidently say i would not lose any customers.

Dave

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 07:54:50 pm »
Now this is what I mean, it's already starting to drift off towards how great it is, and how much money you can earn... ::)
That wasn't the question.

The fact is, you made the choice to spend all that money....why should the customer have to fund it?

You're not even taking risks now, as you keep telling us. ???

H h20

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 07:59:18 pm »
Rog,your question is still having a dig at wfp >:(,so you will get replies that don`t meet your request,Gaz

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 08:03:24 pm »
Rog,your question is still having a dig at wfp >:(,so you will get replies that don`t meet your request,Gaz
No it's not.
If you can't answer it, don't bother posting.
There's a simple question in there.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:06:10 pm »
I think prices will fall Squeaky is quite right in his thinking but the price fall i see coming is going to be in the commercial sector as more and more w/c's are able to reach further that will definitely drive prices down partly because many think the road to riches is in commercial

Chris

H h20

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 08:10:57 pm »
Rog,you aint interested in wfp,all you have ever done is slag it off,so why the hell should we take you serious,and answer your question without our opinion,and theres another reply i have posted,Gaz

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 08:11:19 pm »
Thankyou Chris, a serious response.

I'm not saying I should be charging more, but don't you think that as more people cotton on to the fact that it's no longer potentially dangerous then those prices on that forum are more like what it should be worth now? ???

In turn it could affect me too.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 08:17:20 pm »
I have had 1 person cancel in the last 5 months because she didn't find value in what i was doing to quote her words " I can get one of those at the market in town and do that" not quite correct ... she cant, but still it used to take me 1 hr to do her house with the pole it was half that, she didn't feel my price was justified and she cancelled

Simply Clean Windows

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 08:34:54 pm »
my customers pay for there windows to be cleaned,if they are happy with the job they will pay,it does not matter if it was done trad of wfp,as long as they are clean.IS IT REALLY WORTH AS MUCH, my customers obviously think so. My customers never paid me danger money for going up ladders when i was trad,they have always paid for clean windows.
malcolm

bennymon

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 08:43:50 pm »
well said end of story ;)

JohnL

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 09:02:40 pm »
The problem with pricing is the approach and the attitude.

As some of you may know I have only been doing WC for a few months and slowly, but 90% of my customers are paying me up 100% more than they paid previously. OK some of them have been desperate to get a WCer for a long time but are prepared to pay higher after a considered approach for their business for reliable work, finished to a pretty high quality.

Contrary to my style of approach a local WFPer with a nice brand new van and kit with all the bits and twirls has told his customers that they will have '' to pay up to double to pay for his investment '' Needless to say I am aware he has lost business and could lose more because he is also telling his customers the kit will allow him to do the job in a shorter time.  ???  Of course I now he will pick up new work which WFP is ideal for and will be successful.

We are all aware the business ie the customer, has to pay for any investment over time but it is the way one approaches the knotty problem of price increases that makes you credible.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

macc

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 09:13:22 pm »
Now this is what I mean, it's already starting to drift off towards how great it is, and how much money you can earn... ::)

The fact is, you made the choice to spend all that money....why should the customer have to fund it?

1. because it is.  ;D

2. if the utility comanys etc pass on the costs of investment to the customer why shouldnt we do the same.  ::)

or is it some think only wfp opperaters should swollow all costs.  >:(

Morph

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 09:27:15 pm »
Rog,

Trying to answer your original question:  I think over the years I have thought about the dangers involved in doing my job, and that is obviously one of the top reasons for residential customers employing my services, but not the only reason.
There are no dangers in a lot of maintenance jobs residential customers have done.  people haven't the time or the inclination to do the job themselves.  If they have the money they'd rather get someone else to do the boring job of cleaning their windows.  Even if they live in a bungalow, it's a 10 minute job for us for £5, or an hour at least for them to do a rotten job.
If windowcleaners have sold their services on the risk factor, most customers are relieved to know you won't be taking such risks anymore whilst on their property.
As for higher prices:  When I started wfp I had a proper explanation letter of introduction which people read and 99% said, "I suppose this means the price is going up?"  None of my prices went up, that was a selling feature for me..
New safer sophisticated method for the same price!
As for commercial work, well if wfp cleaners are worried about a price war, maybe they were being too greedy to start with!  There is a commercially acceptable cost structure to everything, some may have a standard of service that justifies going above, some may cut costs and go below.  The client decides what best suits their requirements.

Next.......... 8)

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 09:45:44 pm »

If we keep prices the same, how are they funding it?

If they tell us to increase it why should it matter to you?

They dont pay for the risk, but the job done.

And if it is a greater risk, why dont you reduce yours?

supernova77

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:05 pm »
It's not about taking risks or risk money...

My customers pay for a service. It doesn't matter what tools I use to provide that service as long as the service is good.

People will always pay someone else to clean there windows.

Pricing is all relative too... I target wealthy areas which means I can charge that little bit more and people will pay it.