Archy136

Customer Names - Who knows them?
« on: May 06, 2006, 07:47:35 pm »
It suddenly hit me the other day that I been cleaning some of my customers windows for over 3 years and still dont know there names.

Is that unusual? Who know all there customers names? I must have over 200 customers and ony know the name of a handfall.

Its always a bit embarrasing to ask for your name after such a long time.

Archie

matt

Re: Customer Names - Who knows them?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 07:54:49 pm »
i used to have all the surnames in my book, but when i rewrote it, i didnt bother

it can be a pain when some1 sends a cheque with no address

s.hughes

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 08:04:06 pm »
Everyone knows my name but I find it hard to remember theirs. When I pick up a new customer I make a point of writing it down.

Steve

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:08:27 pm »
When I take on a customer I always ask for their name and phone number.  When I print out a work sheet; I've the customers details against the houses I'm due to clean.  It assists me remembering their names.

Also, I often meet customers in Tescos, or round and about, and always call them by their name when I say 'hello'.  I like to be formal with them, particularly my older ones, so I call them 'Mr' or 'Mrs' whatever.  This also saves you remembering two names.  If the husband of 'Mrs Smith' answers the door, you know it's 'Mr Smith'.

Many of my customers make an effort to remember my name too.

They call me 'Ken', which is strange, since all my friends call me 'Tosh', but I think 'Tosh' sounds a bit 'Yobbish', so I'm 'Ken' to my customers.

I put Wor Lasses and my name on all our stationery.

It's only a small thing, but I think it's a nice touch to call your customers by their name.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:32:44 pm »
I cant remember my kids names :-[ so my customers have no chance.
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 08:57:59 pm »
Some nights I can't remember my own...

For the last 2 years I've made a point of adding everyones names to our records and who ever we call on, I make a point of using it.

We never used to though untill a good customer pointed out that we never use his name but he uses ours and I had to admit to him that we didn't know his name. It was a bit embarrising.

I also add small notes if the persons going on holiday or retiring etc and so on. It add a nice touch next time we clean their windows to ask about whatever etc.

JohnL

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 12:00:49 am »
Good one Ken

;D

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Londoner

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 06:53:40 am »
I have all the names in my book and remember most of them, most of the time. The problem comes when you meet them in Sainsburys or somewhere. I link the name and the face with the house. Away from the house and I struggle.
Of course there are some you would never forget.

Morph

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 09:19:12 am »
I know all my customers names.  Usually refer to them as Mr or Mrs...
Always made a point of writing it down.  Only use first names if they ask me to.
When dealing with businesses, I learned from when I was in sales and marketing years ago, get to know everyones name, from the cleaner to the receptionist to the person you deal with to the top.  Always chat to the cleaner or receptionist, surprising what they know....And once you know the names at the top you name drop at appropriate times. ;)

Archy136

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 09:30:51 am »
Any tips on asking there names after 3 years??

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:34:57 am »
I can remember some names though its always a bit awkward if you meet one of them in the street and can't for the life of me remember who they were? usually later on i remember !

David 'Duck' Clare

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 10:59:19 am »
I made a point of getting everyones name from day 1 - mainly because of cheque issues if they didnt write their name on it.....

but now its a customer relations thing i know ALL of their names, the older ones its Mr or Mrs and for the younger ones i use their first name(s) and if they are middle aged i say Mr or Mrs unless they say call me 'Joe' or whatever.

my customers mainly remember my name and those that didnt simply ask for it again

DC

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 02:40:44 pm »

Just explain to them, that your computer crashed and you have to update it all, tell them next time you will keep a back up copy.
When you do have there names try to learn them, after a while it becomes easy.

macc

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 02:43:24 pm »
i find it hard to remember my 3 kids names.  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »
What Kids
I forgot I had them  lol

Morph

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 06:42:33 pm »

Don't get complicated.

You just tell them it's been three years, and would they mind telling you their name!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 06:50:35 pm »

Yep - say you're updateing your lists and ask how they spell their surname

Bit embarrassing when they say "S-M-I-T-H" ::)
It's a game of three halves!

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 08:23:58 pm »
not that embarassing it could be s-m-y-t-h ;D

dougster

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 08:42:49 pm »
i allways seem to forget there names unless they owe me a lot of cash,then like a bolt of lightning it come to me

dai

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 05:25:58 pm »
Yeah, and we never forget the names of the really fit ones do we? I remember them even if we do meet in Tesco's. Dai