Jeff Brimble

Re: back pain
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 06:26:14 am »
Absolutely Mark, relaxation AND stretching excercises. There are books out there. Once read a book now out of print called "Six weeks to a healthy back" that the author claimed he could make a winning football team out of bad back players because they know how to do the excercises. Its what got me going again after a permanately prolapsed spine.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 07:59:44 am »
I have just set up a club corner called "The back page" over on Pros in the  A_Z of WFP for anyone with health issues,RSI etc.
Heres the link but it will probably get changed by admin so you will have make your own way there.
http://www.anothercleaningforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146984359
Hope it helps everybody.  :)

neil100

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 10:43:27 am »
I used to pull the lower muscles on my back when cleaning windows trad, This was due to pulling my ladders over garage roofs.

I have had a stiff back and neck for the last month, The neck is due to wfp and the stiff back is down to me trying to increase my weekly running mileage to quickly.

Yesterday was a lovely day so I ran round Fairfield horseshoe in the lake district, approx 10 miles, the back is a bit ginger again this morning.

My biggest problem since going wfp has been RSI in my right wrists and golfers elbow. But I am now touch wood back to normall, this is due mainly to switching most of my brush heads from vikan to Gaz brushes. As soon as I switched brushes 2 months ago the pain and swelling in my hands and arms reduced dramaticly. So much so that I now have not had any swelling in my hands or the pins and needles sensation in my fingers for three weeks.

I have concluded that wfp is safer in the aspect of ladder safety, but you do run the higher risk of RSI injurys, neck problems with the added complications of trapped nerves in the spinal cord and lower back problems.

Correct pole useage and good fittness levels can help. The plus side of wfp should be makeing more money per day which should result in a shorter working week while earning more money giveing a longer rest period to recover for the following weeks work.

Nel.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006, 10:57:31 am »
Neil why do you think changing brush heads affect your hands and arms ?

neil100

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 11:41:06 am »
The vikan brush is 6oz heavier then the vikan.

It does not sound much,but put it on the end of an 18' or 24' pole at an angle the weight increases even more.

But the damage done to the tendons in the arms is caused by pulling the brush off the glass to rinse then moveing the bush in a controlled manner from side to side. It puts more strain on the wrists as you have to tighten your hand grip to control the poles movement from side to side.

When you are doing hundreds of windows day after day it as a significant impact on your wrists. The higher you go the worse it gets.

Having a light weight brush,that you dont have to pull of the glass means I dont feel the strain on my wrists and arms. My hands now gently hold the pole on rinseing.

I am now not takeing anti inflammetry drugs. I can only put it down to the light brush heads.

Nel.

brett walker

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 12:49:26 pm »
I must admit Gaz H2o's brushes are very light and easy to use which makes a big difference each to their own

Brett