craig jwc

water
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:10:35 pm »
Might seem a stupid question, but would mixing Pure water with tap water make the resin in a DI bottle in the van last longer??

I was thinking of running the RO into my 800l holding tank then filling the tank in the van with this to half full then topping upwith tap water.

Asking this as i only have a 50gpd RO otherwise i might aswell upgrade my RO.

It will take about 4days to fill the holding tank with the 50gpd

Hope i made sence ???

Craig

gaza

Re: water
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 01:02:28 am »
what is you tds,not that its important,in theory yes it would work better for u.
why not run your ro 24/7 at the week end to get a stock pile,then use it during the week were it should produce a top up,running it 24/7,then up grade,bet you went in cheap and just paid the price for it.invest in a 200 gal per day and be done with your problem.the money you save on resin more than makes up for the expence of the ro believe me Im a w/c.
2xbags of resin 160 squid
1 ro 180 squidish

2 bags of resin in di vessels will last a life time{if you were to die in a years time or a little longer, convinced now?
multiply resin used di method only x 12 a bag a month must be a min

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

David Halford

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:34:19 am »
Craig

In theory it would work but in reality if you were to half fill your tank with normal tap water your TDS will be too high. What is the TDS of your water? Lets say for instance that your TDS reading is 100. If you were to mix 400ltrs of pure water to 400ltrs of tap water the TDS reading in your tank would be around 50.

I would suggest you upgrade your RO but be careful what RO your go for. The RO you have at the moment and even the 300gpd ROs are meant for domestic use, that are placed under the sink and used to produce maybe 50-60 litres of drinking water a day. I would recommend a 4040 RO, which would produce 1000 litres of pure water in only 5 or 6 hours.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:34:31 pm »
The 4040 R/O's are not cheap, I've been using a 200 gallon a day unit for the past 2 and a bit years now, takes just over 24 hours or so to fill up my 1000l IBC tank, I've had to change the 2 membranes once (my own fault, I didn't flush them for months on end :-\)
The replacement membranes are about 9 months old...(I think ???) and are still reducing my TDS reading down to 0.001-2.
A litre of resin lasts for a couple of months.

Don't bother mixing pure water with tap water, you will be undoing all the work that has already been done, and I am not sure whether in reality the TDS will actually be diluted in quite the way you might expect....I feel a little experimet coming on! 8)

And if you did have water with a reading of 0.050 ppm you will eat through resin pretty quickly.

Work out how much water you need per day, add 25% to that and upgrade to an R/O that will produce you the volume you will need.
Leave your tap running over the weekend and always start the week with a full holding tank, you shouldn't have any worry about running out then.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

craig jwc

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:16:18 pm »
I was only thinking of this as i hardly use the RO much now as i have the DI vessel in the van.

To be honest i don't really need an RO as my TDS from the tap is 027 (taken just before i posted this) which i know is really low.

Just thought that mixing the water would bring the TDS down in the van tank before it goes through the DI vessel making the resin last even longer.
My RO would take around 4 days to fill my 800l holding tank.

After mixing my tap water and RO water equally I had a reading of 011.

Just an idea to see if i could save on the resin (even though i don't use that much) & maybe give others the idea.

Craig