wightsurf

wfp hampshire on the news last night
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:51:53 pm »
Hi does anyone have any idea what is going on with the situation with water and the waterboard and any ban on window cleaning here in the south?
On the news last night it showed a window cleaning company looking at what seemed to be a idea of using grey water ? can anyone tell me any more on this subject ???
Are we waiting for a ban or is this hiped up news.
 regards

Martin

stephensll5

Re: wfp hampshire on the news last night
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:32:15 pm »
i saw that last night to. so i rang the water board and they told me there trying to stop us using wfp for up to six months. but only on domestic. but i have heard it will be very hard for them to apply the ban as it will affect so many small companys. Makes me laugh tho i travelled to aldershot yesterday and traffic was murder so turned the radio on and the reason for the traffic was that there was a burst pipe in the morning and aldershot was flooded. now i no where the water is going.
steve

Moderator David@stives

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 09:14:15 pm »
Hmmmmmm wonder if under a drought order the water companys would be able to clean there vans if they should happen to get messy  ???   ;D
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:45:05 pm »
From what I understand it's only if stage 3 of the drought order get introduced that window cleaners have to start worrying.

At the moment it's just stage 1.

What I don't get is Southern Fat Cats Water are now saying the reservoirs are 80% full.

What I also think is that the bosses and board of Southern Water, and also all the major share holders, have their water cut off right now. They still profit the same with a water shortage so they should suffer first.

gaza

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 09:57:00 pm »
Do you get a refund for not being able to use a service  you have allready payed for?

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:05:34 pm »
If you read the small print about water companies, it is that you pay a set yearly charge, that is agreed with offwat, for them to provide a service that is within their means to provide.

Nice cop out eh?

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:22:25 pm »
Ross at the moment its not at stage1 that only comes into effect if a drought order is allowed but stages 1-3 of the drought order could  move along very quickly.
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 10:52:10 pm »
Hmmm....

Worrying.

The only good news is that standpipes will eat into their profits as they will be expensive to set up.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 11:40:53 pm »
I hope they do eat into there profits because they dont care about us thats for sure our buisineses can just fold and others will just fill the gap when the order is lifted.
Sussex by the sea

rosskesava

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:51 am »
I've just gone through various websites on the net including Southern Water's and it's definately when stage 3 is applied for under the Drought Order.

After the Drought Order comes into effect stage 1 is automatic but stage 2 and 3 cannot be introduced without Parliamentry approval which would also be a formality. Having said that the water companies still would have to justify it with proof because of the effect it would have on so many business's.

It's definately not the case that a water company can just dictate what happens.

Personally, I think we may in for a bit of a wet start to the summer.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 12:57:00 am »
Ross now you have me unsure lol but from what I understand and I was sitting in at the southern water hearing, is that the margeret becket  will decide whether to allow southern water to bring in a drought order and if so who it should effect, to my knowledge they dont have to have goverment permission for the severity of that order, perhaps the Shinner, glyn howard or Philip hanson could correct me if I'm wrong though           
Sussex by the sea

Morph

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 08:00:07 am »
If you read the small print about water companies, it is that you pay a set yearly charge, that is agreed with offwat, for them to provide a service that is within their means to provide.

Nice cop out eh?

I'm thinking of introducing this one to my accounts.
so if I get hit by a water problem, my customers just carry on paying me for my unique service :(

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 08:40:36 am »
Ross now you have me unsure lol but from what I understand and I was sitting in at the southern water hearing, is that the margeret becket  will decide whether to allow southern water to bring in a drought order and if so who it should effect, to my knowledge they dont have to have goverment permission for the severity of that order, perhaps the Shinner, glyn howard or Philip hanson could correct me if I'm wrong though           

My understanding is that the water company have proposed exempting WFP from this until a so called "phase 3".  Window washing if attached directly to mains would be outlawed at phase 1 but if NOT attached to the mains it would be phase 3.  They would not need to seek any extra permission to move from stage 1 to stage 3 and it could be done on consecutive days if they so choose.  I believe it was a red herring offered in order to try and reduce opposition.

H20 Cleaning Spec

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 09:23:45 am »
I personally think Southern Water are conning everyone!!! and they are trying to get everyone on to water meters (MORE PROFIT!!!!)
We all make pure water for window cleaning, so why can't southern water make pure/drinking water out of sea water, seeing that the planet is covered by 2/3rds of water!!