Ian Lancaster

Been asked to give a talk at a local school
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:00:56 pm »
Got this email via my website a couple of weeks ago - tomorrow's the day, I'll let you know how I get on. ;D

Hi Ian,

Fulston Manor School has contacted you from the company website, here is the information supplied:

Name: Fulston Manor School
Email:
Phone:
Premises address: Kent
How the client heard of us: website
How we can help:
Good afternoon
I am a business studies teacher at Fulston Manor School and we are teaching our Year 10 students about Franchises and why to run a business as a Franchise.  We were wondering if you would be able to come in and speak to the students about the advantages and disadvantages of being a franchise.

Kind Regards
Karen Franks

keyser soze

Re: Been asked to give a talk at a local school
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:45:27 pm »
wind up

rosskesava

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:17 pm »
Good luck with that.

Public speaking is always an education about the self.

Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

stuart mc

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »
I have done talks at schools, isn't that bad, be prepared for awkward questions ;D glad to see schools doing this to be honest it is a good thing in my book

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:45 am »
Got this email via my website a couple of weeks ago - tomorrow's the day, I'll let you know how I get on. ;D

Hi Ian,

Fulston Manor School has contacted you from the company website, here is the information supplied:

Email:
Phone:
How we can help:
Good afternoon
I am a business studies teacher at Fulston Manor School and we are teaching our Year 10 students about Franchises and why to run a business as a Franchise.  We were wondering if you would be able to come in and speak to the students about the advantages and disadvantages of being a franchise.

Kind Regards
Karen Franks

Excellent.  I reckon they've got the right person too.  No bigging it up.  No putting it down.  Just an honest, what it says on the tin, discussion.

robert mitchell

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:00 am »
I have done these for the fire service , nerve wracking at first but if you know your subject well its easier.

You probably know the subject better than most so should be fine .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

colin purewater

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:01:59 am »
Make sure you walk away with the window contract  ;)
keep it simple

johnny bravo

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:15:56 am »
Robert how much do you pay for your web site.     instalments  or a one off  fee.

ive been looking to get one done,    £5 per month seems cheap.     i take it the more pages you have the more costs. ;)

robert mitchell

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:45 am »
hi , i paid £100 one off fee then 5 a month for hosting , pretty good value.

You can also have one thats £5 a month with no one off fee , think its less pages.
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 06:29:05 pm »

Hi Ian,

Email:
Phone:
How we can help:
Good afternoon

Kind Regards
Karen Franks

Excellent.  I reckon they've got the right person too.  No bigging it up.  No putting it down.  Just an honest, what it says on the tin, discussion.

Thak you Sir, for those kind words :)

I must admit I was a bit nervous to start and the joky bits I put in to break the ice were met with huge indifference :'(  Once I got underway it was fine and I enjoyed it.  The kids sat quiet and listened to me, no heckling and no fidgetting so I had that to be thankful for.

No awkward questions either - one lad wanted to know if Franchising was less stressful than Employing and also what sort of return I get from my Franchisees.  Turns out he's already an entrepreneur - started a car washing service two years ago with a mate, so far they've banked £9,000 between them :o

All in all a rewarding experience.

I could get used to this ;D

C o z y

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:13 pm »
Nice one Ian. I think when schools do stuff like that, it's a good sign of attitude of the teaching staff. Only good can come from that.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Nick_Thompson

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 07:49:23 am »
Well done Ian!

And no one shouted out... Can I get a burger and shake with those franchises?... Strange that!
Do quantum mechanics fix old transits?

And let us not forget, voyeurism is an occupational hazard that we simply must endure.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:41 am »
And the good thing is when you give a presentation/talk no-one except you knows if you missed out a sentence so unlike your customers they don't shout "missed a bit!"  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:33 am »
And the good thing is when you give a presentation/talk no-one except you knows if you missed out a sentence so unlike your customers they don't shout "missed a bit!"  ;D

Even if he did miss a bit, I'll give him a "G" anyway  :)

Spruce

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:23 am »
Congratulation Ians. Well done. Its gets easier after you have done it a few times, especially when you get good feed back from members of the audience.

Having listened to numerous talks over the years, I've never understood why the need to start with a couple of jokes to loosen the mood.

The audience knows what you are there for so I feel that it is more frustrating for them as they except you to get on with it - well that's how I felt listening. Your talk should have a short begining to introduce what you have to say, the main section where you discuss the pros and cons of your subject, a question time from the audience and then a final summary designed to leave them with the next step to take if they are interested.

Was that the next Richard Banson asking the questions? Who knows?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 08:26:25 am »

;D ;D ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »

Even if he did miss a bit, I'll give him a "G" anyway  :)

That's going back a bit! Nowadays it's all soft and fluffy and the school overseer has to comment on something commendable and give other counsel "privately".
It's a game of three halves!

dannymack

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »
They paying ya as I couldn't take time out as I'm busy every day !!! Would have to book in when working out my months work or no chance !!! But glad it went well 😜it's good that some people now take window cleaning business's seriously as we all get looked down on as basic scummy cleaners when we triple ae office folks wages and have nice early finishes. Mind you we start at 4.20 am 😜

deeege

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:29 pm »
So did you get the schools window cleaning contract Ian?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

robbo333

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
Sounds great, well done. Did you manage to find any new budding franchisees?  ;)
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"