Sarah Sarill

What's the right choice for a female w/c ?
« on: February 27, 2006, 07:11:36 pm »
Serious question guys.......

As you are aware I w/c with hubby on his commercial properties only and do downstairs traditionally as we dont have a second mobile unit.

I am in the process of a rather vigorous marketing campaign to increase our commercial ratios and, if all goes well will have to increase the amount of work I do with him - Huff  ;)

I want to use wfp and just wanted to know if you think an enclosed backpack on a modified sack trolley would work for me in terms of weight etc.  How long would it last before refilling is needed. ?

My darling Brother-in-law will modify it so its looks ok for commercial customers and incorporate  a holder for my small, downstairs pole.

Would it be practical for commercial and for me to pull.  ?

I cannot pull a full 50ltr  Omnitrolley sodont suggest buying one of them or anything similar - just too much for me.  :P

Thanks in anticipation of your replies,

Sarah
Sarah

Re: What's the right choice for a female w/c ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:19:51 pm »
I work with a back pack, with Wor Lass working traditional.

On the rare occassion where I get her working with the back pack and pole she does find it hard going; unless it's with the short 4 foot pole and I set everything up for her.

She struggles filling the back pack with a 25 litre barrel and can't clean any awkward windows with an 18" pole.

Wor Lass only weighs around 8 Stone (we don't have bathroom-scales in our house) and is 5' 1" tall!

If you're a bigger and stonger woman; this may not pose a problem.

But Wor Lass is a 'tough old bird'! ;)

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:26:07 pm »
Tosh,

If it was mounted on a sack trolley, modified to her height, would she be Ok pulling that ?

How long does the water last for downstairs wfp only.

Thanks,

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:32:48 pm »
  How long would it last before refilling is needed. ?

I know I'm comparing this with residential work, but it should give you a good idea of what you can do.  

You should be able to clean the tops of three good sized semi-detached houses with one-fill of the back pack.  Maybe Four if you're carefull.

...and incorporate  a holder for my small, downstairs pole.

You should have no problems with a short pole.

Would it be practical for commercial and for me to pull.  ?

Yes; no problems, though steps or gravel may slow you down.  But it only weighs around 30 kg full (unlike some other systems which weigh twice as much with the same amount of water).

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 07:34:27 pm »
Thanks Tosh.

Thats helped.  :-*

Sarah
Sarah

Morph

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:37:29 pm »
Sarah

I have an 18litre backpack on a very light trolley.  My good lady comes with me on some big jobs.  She follows along doing the ground floor with the backpack.  If I fill it to the brim it takes about 20 litres.  When she comes with me, I fill extra 25 litre containers, and distribute them at convenient points for her.  I try to place the containers on a bench or something about 2-3 ft off the ground.  25 litres is heavy for her to lift and refill, but she can tip it up ok if raised up.  If that doesn't work, I just nip to where she is every 20 mins approx, and refill the backpack for her, then she only has to lift half a container, if you see what I mean.
We make a good team....Cos I'm a nice guy, really..and she's a nice gal.
Oh, I just carry on doing the tops, and I still keep ahead of her ;)
Any questions?

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:40:53 pm »
Any questions?

Silly question to ask me Pj  ;)

What length and make pole does she use.  Also  what brush head ?

Sarah

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 07:45:32 pm »
Tosh,

If it was mounted on a sack trolley, modified to her height, would she be Ok pulling that ?

How long does the water last for downstairs wfp only.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah,

Wor Lass can pull the 'back pack' on a trolley, no problems.  She's got rugby-players legs from all that running she does.

Re-filling it is a problem for her though.

As PJ says, there's ways around this though.  Half filled water barrels?  Maybe a transfer pump from your vehicle to your trolley?

But after using a WFP for around six months now, I sort of like doing the ground floor traditionally.

You're guaranteed a good job.

Morph

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 07:46:24 pm »
2ft extends to 4ft glassfibre.  Sometimes ionics brush, but she prefers the vikan brush, it works fine.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 08:11:11 pm »
Look at the trolley on Peter Fogwill's site www.window-tools.com

It's the one I use and You can put in one or two 25L barrels and if saving weight is necessary you could just fill each to -say- 15 litres giving 30 in all.

Downstairs I just use the top end of an unger pole (like Ian Giles's) cut to about 600mmm long. though it could easily be a metre or so for shorties. ;D

So I unclip the brush (auto of course - and hose up outside of pole) from my "upstairs" pole clip on the 600mm length and do the downstairs.
It's a game of three halves!

Derek_Walker

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 09:18:11 pm »
Hi Sarah,

Like Malc I use the aqua-tec trolley but had to make a few modifications to make it easier to use. It did not like rough terrain plus I put a leisure battery on it as the small batteries did not last a day. You may find the Freedom trolley an easier one to use, it takes up to 25l containers but looks very easy to pull around. You can also add another 25l if need be with an extra attachment.

Derek

pur

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:59:33 pm »
Sarah Your pic : Yn ben uchel i bôb Cymraes.                     

Cymru  = Wales
Cymro  = Welshman
Cymraes = Welshwoman
Cymraeg = Welsh the language.

pur
Dydd da pawb.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 11:19:15 pm »
couldnt some of you that have your ladys with you use smaller containers? When I got my 25ltr containers from the car wash I also got about 6 10ltr ones I've even considered useing them myself because i'm in a maisonette.
Sussex by the sea

williamx

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 11:46:08 pm »
Sarah

Have you thought about using a vechicle mounted system, if you already have a wfp system its is quite easy and cheap to run it from a van or trailer.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 08:08:43 am »
Hi Sarah,

I would never suggest that anyone straps a 20kg weight to their back and then try to work. The follow on back related problems are not worth thinking about.

My Missus does do commercial work with me and she simply reels out another reel of lightweight microbore hose and plugs in a compact 3x5ft pole. She can comfortably work for hours like this.

You will always be faster with a reel compared with a trolley/backpack.

Alex

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 08:11:32 am »

Cymru  = Wales
Cymro  = Welshman
Cymraes = Welshwoman

pur

Thanks Pur,

My original was a translation from  a web site so thanks,

This one correct ?  - where are you based ?

Sarah
Sarah

steve massey

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 04:03:36 pm »
If you are going for more commercial work won't it be better getting a van mounted systerm, just pull hoses out and clean. We use a van mount from Ionics for our commercial customers but clean our dommestic the trad way.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 06:03:26 pm »
Hi Sarah,

I would never suggest that anyone straps a 20kg weight to their back and then try to work.

Alex

No Alex,

With a back pack, you don't carry it on your back (unless you want to).

You put a handle on it and either carry it like a bag or you mount it on a trolley.

Spoonbill1970

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 06:12:53 pm »
Hi Derek,

I put a leisure battery on it as the small batteries did not last a day

Would you mind telling me where do you attach it - I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

(Sorry to go off topic)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:43 pm »
Hi Sarah, I would seriously look at something that you may have pushed before and thats a pushchair with a b/pack. A stripped down maclaren folding pushchair is what my wife uses £5 from the dump. 10l containers are a must for refilling I wouldnt expect you to struggle with 20l. Idealy you should have 3/4 wheels, Two wheels have their problems. Heres a 2 wheel one thats raised off the ground a bit to save you bending, light and folds http://www.dealclick.co.uk/product/21522/Pro-Action-Fishing-Trolley.phpds flat, look at
If hes feelin huh-  affluent, have a look at the wheels on this  :) http://www.fraser-products.co.uk/fishingtrolley.html.
ps shortly I think I will be able to come up with some reccomendations on the feather light pole I have been messing about with and feel it will give you ladies equality even to giving squeeeks a run for his money.

mark6765

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 11:27:01 pm »
I allso would like to work out what is the best way to work with my wife.
she wants to come to work with me just a few days a week.
i have been experamenting with a 2 way valve on microbore. run from a 100 psi pump.
it works well but the flow rate is low.
does anyone know of a pump for wfp that will feed 2 poles through 60 metres of microbore hose with a high flowrate.
she can then follow me around and do the bottoms with a light pole while i do the tops.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 08:36:10 am »
It would not be practical to split the flow after the microbore hose reel as the flow rate for microbore is not enough to then run two poles from one reel.

The way to do it is to put a splitter beofre your hose reel and then run 2 hose reels from it. One of our set-ups is just like this, we have a flojet 60psi pump a splitter running 2 reels of 60m of microbore, perfect flow rate full flexibility.

Alex

Derek_Walker

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 09:38:32 am »
Hi Jonathan,

I was in a hurry to modify the battery arrangement at the time, so I bought a cheap plastic, stanley type tool box with a hinged lid for about £4.00. Cut 2 slits in the side and pushed it over the 2 lugs on the front of the trolley and slid a piece of wood inside to keep it in place. Then altered the wiring to accomodate the new battery. Whole job took less than an hour once I had all the parts. It is not the best place to put the battery because of the extra weight on the front, but I do not use it that often and I normally only use one 25L container which I put at the back of the trolley. With the leisure battery I do not have to worry about running out of power as it will last 2 days easily and more.

Derek.

mark6765

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 10:00:21 am »
I see what you mean alexg.
I have done this with my other van.
Except i run two pumps.
1 for each reel.
1 operative works out the side the other out the back of the van.
This works well when you have houses close together.
But i want to work two of us on 1 house without triping over eachothers hoses.
Maybe i should look at adapting a trolly system to run two poles.
Or is there 1 that does it allready.

pur

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 10:17:10 am »

Cymru  = Wales
Cymro  = Welshman
Cymraes = Welshwoman

pur

I forgot to add  Cymry    The Welsh

I come from North Wales and use Welsh as an everyday language , English as an occaisional one, so my spelling isn't all that hot.
Sarah write what you want in English with your pic and i'll try and translate it into Welsh for you.
Dydd da pawb.

Spoonbill1970

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 08:39:37 pm »
Thanks Derek,

I thought about where best to put a leisure battery as my wee jump-starters are starting to lose their charge much quicker.  Sounds like a good Idea to put it on the front hooks. The balance of the trolley is always going to be difficult no matter where it goes.
Thanks again for advice,

Jonathan

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2006, 07:03:58 pm »
Noticed your on line Sarah, any progress on the right choice ?

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 07:45:50 pm »
HHmmm.  dont ask Jeff,

Looks as if we are going to build one with a 25ltr vessel.  Hubby thinks that if we have one with a decent level of water it can be used as a back-up if the Omnitrolley breaks down.

Going to buy a leasure battery from Bristol Batteries at £56 + Vat (sealed lead), Williamson pumps have quoted me £65 + Vat for a 100 psi pump and  put it together ourselves.  Oh dear - I see trouble on the horizon. LOL

Just need to get prices on the 4ft pole, hose and connections.

Have to speed it up as we have just landed some local council work worth 4K during the next year and will require 2 people on site.  More work for me - less time shopping.  Life's hard for us women dont you know.

Will post pictures when its done but dont hold your breath, could take a few weeks to get the welding done to the trolley.

Sarah

Sarah

gaza

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 08:01:08 pm »
Seeing you started this thread :the best trolley is a shopping trolley

a womens only true orgasm is when shes shopping

for a bloke a 36 24 36 dolly is best used by a man

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

must teach the mrs even a bargain costs money

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

dai

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 09:24:28 pm »
Sarah, Mayah is only 4ft 10" and manages fine with a surflow backpack on a shopping trolley frame.
I connected 20ft of 6mm bore hose  to cut down on the time spent moving it. She uses a small unger pole, to this I connected the backpack trigger. I used the same connectors as I have on my pole so that I can use it where access is dificult. She fills it herself too, if I'm not looking. Believe me the backpack has speeded her up no end. It's also more than doubled our water consumption.

Pur, Croeso, ir forum yma. iechid da pob cymro. lle wt tin byw?

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 09:19:39 am »
Ddiolch 'ch Dai. Seiliedig jyst y tu allan i Newport. A 'ch?

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 05:17:56 pm »
Ddiolch 'ch Dai. Seiliedig jyst y tu allan i Newport. A 'ch?

Sarah

English please, not Pakistani!

For all I know you could be saying the mods here are a bunch of fat idiots.

And anyway, I'm not fat; I'm pregnant.

pur

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 09:20:07 am »
Ddim yn bell o Betws y Coed , Dai.

pur
Dydd da pawb.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
Dai,

At am-dro i fyny Tosh cara dyma jyst 'n fawr. Chlo 'r edau 'n ebrwydd er.

Sarah
Sarah