John Farrell

Working christmas eve!!!!
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:10 am »
Is anyone working Christmas eve. Got to catch up with work as has had problems with my van this last week and fell behind. But feel a bit cheeky working on that day.

Mike #1

Re: Working christmas eve!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »
It is just like any other day to me I will be working providing its not poring with rain . Mike

richywilts

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
shouldnt be a problem john dont let customer dictate when u work its a normal day in my eyes no bank holiday, people shud be relaxed and in good spirits prob get sum nice tips
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

formb

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »
But feel a bit cheeky working on that day.

I'm with Richy on this one. You are over-thinking it. People will be delighted to have clean windows on Christmas day.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:26:48 pm »
Never work on Christmas eve it's a family day for me ;D

Tom White

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »
It's Christmas eve; treat your customers with some respect and just leave them alone to relax.

Work Saturday instead.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »
Work people want clean windows for Xmas I will be working if its not hissing down
Spit and polish

Dora Jarr

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 02:57:23 pm »

Work Saturday instead.

Are you kidding?

Tom White

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »

Work Saturday instead.

Are you kidding?

Yes.  I'm finished till the New Year; stuff working Saturday or Christmas Eve; I'm celebrating the birth of Our Savoir, the Lord Jesub Christ.

C o z y

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:21:54 pm »
Where did window cleaning go wrong for some? If an employer asked or told me to work Sundays or bank holidays, I'd tell them to get stuffed. IMO if you can't run your business to pay enough for a lifestyle, then go and get a job working for someone else.

Having said that, I don't care if you work Sundays or Christmas or bloody night shift. I'm earning enough without watching people eat their evening meal through their windows or turning up to clean the windows while they are laying out the pressies under the tree!!!

I don't second guess my custies, but I feel foolish if I've got a torch to see what windows I'm cleaning or I'm working on a Sunday. I'd feel really stupid walking around the back of a property to clean the windows and straight into a BBQ party.

Maybe a re-think of price structures might help stop having to work Sundays and / or nights.
Noz trying to sound clever here, I learned from listening to people who were doing better than me in this game. There are some well established window cleaners on here who give good advice. You'll find that they're the ones not working Sundays and holidays.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

Work Saturday instead.

Are you kidding?

Yes.  I'm finished till the New Year; stuff working Saturday or Christmas Eve; I'm celebrating the birth of Our Savoir, the Lord Jesub Christ.
for once i agree with tosh,now thats bad :P :P love you tosh

stuart mc

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »
xmas eve is a monday and a normal working day for most folk, I have always worked it if it falls as a weekday

Frankybadboy

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:20 pm »
xmas eve is a monday and a normal working day for most folk, I have always worked it if it falls as a weekday
yes but you are a scot and a tight as s,and want the money ;D ;D ;D ;D

love you stu :P

windiewasher

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »
Banks are open monday so why not window cleaners?
Maybe people have a big round and have to work saturday sunday and monday maybe your round is small and wish you had enough work to do saturday.sunday and monday ay CHRIS P BACON
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

Tom White

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »
Maybe people have a big round and have to work saturday sunday and monday maybe your round is small and wish you had enough work to do saturday.sunday and monday ay CHRIS P BACON

I've got shed loads of outstanding work; but no-one is going to die if I leave it till the New Year.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »
iam 9 days behind do you think working any extra will next a difference. ;D ;D ;D ;D
NO
what dont get done today gets done tomorrow,my thinking

has i said before i have a life and this is the point of running your own business. ;) ;)

wfp master

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

Work Saturday instead.

Are you kidding?

agree with that. wee bit collecting the night then thats me finished until  new year.

windiewasher

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 03:59:54 pm »
Im working tommorow.sunday and monday and then off till the 5th of jan.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

wfp master

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »
Where did window cleaning go wrong for some? If an employer asked or told me to work Sundays or bank holidays, I'd tell them to get stuffed. IMO if you can't run your business to pay enough for a lifestyle, then go and get a job working for someone else.

Having said that, I don't care if you work Sundays or Christmas or bloody night shift. I'm earning enough without watching people eat their evening meal through their windows or turning up to clean the windows while they are laying out the pressies under the tree!!!

I don't second guess my custies, but I feel foolish if I've got a torch to see what windows I'm cleaning or I'm working on a Sunday. I'd feel really stupid walking around the back of a property to clean the windows and straight into a BBQ party.

Maybe a re-think of price structures might help stop having to work Sundays and / or nights.
Noz trying to sound clever here, I learned from listening to people who were doing better than me in this game. There are some well established window cleaners on here who give good advice. You'll find that they're the ones not working Sundays and holidays.
thats the way i think good post ma man. custies dont want bothered at the weekend.or christmas eve.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »
I've worked Christmas Eve in the past with no problems and great tips.

If you want to work just do it; you don't need the approval of people on here.

I have a Fish Bar that gets done every Monday and Thursday and as it's open on those days next week the windows will be cleaned too.

I also have a night club that's cleaned 7 days a week. It's shut on Christmas day so that's my one day off this Christmas, the very reason we usually go away in the sun for two weeks over Christmas; just to get some proper time off!!!
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »
ME WORKING XMAS DAY MATE :)

gary999

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 05:04:46 pm »
yep working xmas eve not a bank holiday...even when i was a employee
i worked xmas eve...never had one off unless it fell on a sunday

C o z y

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »

lol, read my post again. You don't know me, I've got a well structured round, I get nearly all of my work done in about 12 working days a month. Since I#ve been in this game on and off for over 20 years, I've paid my house off and enjoy my free time. I understand that some have only been going a few years and have some time to go before they have everything how they want it.

However, if you find that you can't afford a week off or if your vehicle breaks down and you can't afford to miss that money, then you need to work a bit harder on getting your "Business" under control and better structured.

Yes, I read your post about working Sunday etc etc so you can have free time till 5th of Jan, good for you. Only you know how your round is standing and iff you earn enough. I don't care. I just see who posts what on here and I know who to listen to. Enjoy your Sunday, I will.
No still don't understand, I must be thick

gary999

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »
ive been working  most sundays since october
the nest egg ive accumulated is paying for the three weeks in
january im taking off when customers really dont wan too see you ;D

Crystal-clear

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 05:21:47 pm »
It's Christmas eve; treat your customers with some respect and just leave them alone to relax.

Work Saturday instead.

i hear you richy as you have wages to pay but im taking toshes view

we gota know when to draw the line and aviod an unnecessary arguments its 1 day in the year most people will have the day off and will want to relax and not thinking about us or anything,

i have still got work outstanding it will have to be done in the new year

Sean Dyer

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 05:27:57 pm »
employees dont get it off

gary999

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 05:34:12 pm »
everyone i know who works in the private sector works xmas eve
i think you are confusing eve with day ;D

simon w

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »
Is anyone working Christmas eve. Got to catch up with work as has had problems with my van this last week and fell behind. But feel a bit cheeky working on that day.

John

If you want to work Christmas Eve just do it, it wont be a problem. Many of your customers will also be working Christmas Eve. Service, retail and care industries work right up to and over Christmas. It's only Trades (white van Men  ;D ) that feel the need for a two week shut down over Christmas.

If you want to work, work! give your Custies a first class clean, if you think they don't want to be disturbed for payment, then just invoice for the new year, but I'd bet a dollar you'll do well for tips, enjoy the banter and feel satisfied at the end of the day that you've put in the effort.

Jesus wont mind at all neither will his Old Man, just remember to do a good job be kind to all the people you encounter and you'll go to heaven just like all window cleaners do  ;)

P.S I wont be working Christmas Eve because I've not had a holiday this year so will be taking a well deserved week off as from today. If I was behind because of bad weather and wanted to work then I would.

Johnny B

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:02 pm »
I will be working tomorrow, Sunday afternoon, and all day Monday 24th. All the work planned has been agreed in advance with the customers who would like clean windows for the holiday, and I am happy to oblige.

I also have a first clean booked for the 26th, also agreed by the customer. I will then be off until 2nd January, when I have a school to clean.

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »
I have got one lady that I have been saving for Christmas Eve.

Fin Clearview

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:25 pm »
All dayers until Xmas eve when I'm working till 1pm. Back 2nd Jan. Then off to Rome on the 11th for 4 days for the mrs' 40th  :)

DG Cleaning

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »

I'm not working Gary, get a life.
I will be thinking of you though  ;D

stuart mc

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 12:42:35 am »
I have a simple rule, if the bin men work, and the postman works and the banks are open, then it is fair to work, Christmas Eve has never been a holiday, never will be a holiday and I am working, and so will all the above mentioned, and I am going collecting tomorrow and if the weather is ok I will work as well for a few hours

Window Washers

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 12:47:19 am »

Work Saturday instead.
christmas eve is NOT a public holiday if the banks open, crack on if you want we normally work Christmas Eve just no need to this year we did Mondays works today :)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »
you lot work to hard  ;D

gary999

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 01:43:14 pm »

ill be thinking of you in january when you will be freezing
cold orsoaking wet and up to your neck in miserable skint
customers

i on the other hand will have my feet up untill nearly the
start of feb ;D

DG Cleaning

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

ill be thinking of you in january when you will be freezing
cold orsoaking wet and up to your neck in miserable skint
customers

i on the other hand will have my feet up untill nearly the
start of feb ;D

I think you'll find me on my annual sojourn to the French Alps in January Gary  ;D

spudd

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 03:54:28 pm »
If you wanna work,work!! If you don't wanna/need to work, don't work!

Everyone's circumstances are different just do what ya need to do..

I'll be working cause I've got commercials to do first thing so as I'm already out I might as well tie in a few house, then I'll be off till 27th dec were duty calls  :)

Have a good Xmas lads and a happy new years   ;)

sunshine windows

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:05 pm »
Without meaning to sound patronising, I feel sorry for those that need to work.

I completely agree with Chris P Bacon.

If you are doing shed loads of commercials who expect them cleaned, then fair enough. But domestics, come on guys.

To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

George P

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:02 am »
Never worked Christmas Eve. Not that desperate.

not always about being desperate, id love to give my guys time off, but we (along with lots of others on here) have clients that need cleaning on christmas eve,

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
Only five houses to do!

glen parva

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 10:50:02 am »
we are working
looks like we are working allday

George P

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 11:09:18 am »
we are working

so are we mate, somebody wants some work doing  ;D ;D,

Scrimble

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 01:48:33 pm »
xmas eve isnt a holiday,

its a working day

glen parva

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
we are working

so are we mate, somebody wants some work doing  ;D ;D,
/
bloody contract work lol

gewindows

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »
I intend to work. I shall see how the weather is when I wake up. Im sure if its weathery outside I shall stay in bed though  ;D

Had a few nasty bills recently so could do with some cash. Its not the end of the world if I dont work although the tax man might think it is come Jan 31st.

If I work I'll work if I don't I won't, who cares, it's christmas.

gary999

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:59 pm »
not long finished today was going to work monday
weather dont look to hot

so bollox to it and merry xmas ;D

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2012, 07:51:00 pm »
I get one day off for Christmas. I clean a night club in the city centre ( day to day cleaning contract ) and as they'll be open they need cleaning.

It would seem there's some right patronising prats on here; one in particular who's name I forget .... French Alps man I think, could be wrong ..... but I work hard not because I'm desperate for the cash but becaause I enjoy the lifestyle it gives my family.

I have a great mixture of day to day contracts, windows and carpets to clean, and have done for 20+ years. We have holidays two or three times per year, including most years a fortnight cruising around the caribbean at Christmas and New Year. We have a cosy life style but work more than 12 bloody days a month.

Please don't come on here feeling sorry for those of us who work harder than you as we probably earn more than you too, fool :-\
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

james peters

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2012, 08:01:49 pm »
I get one day off for Christmas. I clean a night club in the city centre ( day to day cleaning contract ) and as they'll be open they need cleaning.

It would seem there's some right patronising prats on here; one in particular who's name I forget .... French Alps man I think, could be wrong ..... but I work hard not because I'm desperate for the cash but becaause I enjoy the lifestyle it gives my family.

I have a great mixture of day to day contracts, windows and carpets to clean, and have done for 20+ years. We have holidays two or three times per year, including most years a fortnight cruising around the caribbean at Christmas and New Year. We have a cosy life style but work more than 12 bloody days a month.

Please don't come on here feeling sorry for those of us who work harder than you as we probably earn more than you too, fool :-\

great post....
it's all relative also...
if I was a single guy with no children, I could  afford to take days of all the time....but I still would choose to work.....

I choose to work 6 days a week...I choose to work on the 24th 27th 28th....
also I choose to finish my day when the kids finish school......thats my choice....

am I desperate.....? no! do I need the money??? well I would be ok with the time off, but I would be heck of a lot better off with the money also.......

but to come on here and slate someone for working hard and call them desperate is pathetic

paul saunders

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »

not always about being desperate, id love to give my guys time off, but we (along with lots of others on here) have clients that need cleaning on christmas eve,

Correct, we have 3 high profile jobs being done on Monday.

One client will have been cleaned 3 times in December. If they are willing to pay, then fine we will clean them. I could go out in one of the vans and have an easy day out.

I am not working Christmas eve though, if one days wage means a big difference you are in the wrong business.

I can't work out whether you're too stupid to realize that Monday is Christmas eve, or whether you're being smug because you have staff that you are making work so that the three high profile jobs that you have will get their windows cleaned on "Christmas eve".
I can remember when waking up stiff in the morning was a good thing.

PoleKing

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
We're not working but had it as a bank day in case we ran behind.
If you need to finish your round, it'll be better than working between Christmas and new year. If you're miles behind and won't finish even with working 24th (and don't need the money)-have a day off.
IMO work if you NEED to, but not unless you have to-just my 2 bob.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

Correct, we have 3 high profile jobs being done on Monday.

One client will have been cleaned 3 times in December. If they are willing to pay, then fine we will clean them. I could go out in one of the vans and have an easy day out.

I am not working Christmas eve though, if one days wage means a big difference you are in the wrong business.

I can't work out whether you're too stupid to realize that Monday is Christmas eve, or whether you're being smug because you have staff that you are making work so that the three high profile jobs that you have will get their windows cleaned on "Christmas eve".

Clients requested they had them cleaned as close as possible to Christmas. They asked for Christmas Eve. So they got it.

Tbh, I thought I would give CIU a chance. I have heard a lot of people slate this forum. I have tried to go in with a unbiased opinion.

To be called stupid after posting less than 200 posts really does sum this place up.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:35 pm »
weather dont look to hot

Knew you'd take my advice Gary, Merry Christmas

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
Anyways Merry Christmas, happy new year.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »
I Have been off work ill for the best part of 2 weeks so i will be working tomorrow.

The only days i wont be working are the 25th, 26th, 1st and sundays.
The rest is fair game. any customer who doesnt want me there will be missed and cleaned again next time round.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

davids3511

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:48 pm »
If someone wants to work Christmas eve so what. There's nothing wrong with it and all the willy wavers should just shutup, live and let live.

I really don't care if you are holidaying on mars, people are at differnt stages of their lives with children, mortgages and so on. Stop judging others.

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19:17 pm »
im out collecting tomorrow night  ;D

Carl@Cwc

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
im out collecting tomorrow night  ;D
people can think what they like!!!
that outstanding money is mine.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 04:17:29 am »
We're starting at 6am today (commercial), domestic will start around 08:30 and working till 2pm then off to the pub for a couple of libations!!

I've also got the carpet cleaners out today doing 3 domestic carpet cleaning jobs, including a full house and another is all the downstairs.

We've also got one team working on Thursday and Friday doing commercial work.

Dora Jarr

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 05:34:01 am »
Raining here.

gary999

« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 02:54:42 pm »
weather dont look to hot

Knew you'd take my advice Gary, Merry Christmas

you advice my arse :D merry xmas ;D

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
We had a great day today, started just before 8am on a factory, then by 9:30 onto domestics until 3pm. Weather was good in the morning so so in the afternoo. All our customers pleased to see us and cleared another £57 in tips. Traffic was good as well aside from the fuel stop at tesco's which was manic.

I'm happy to work some time through the holiday season and my customers are pleased to see me. I steer clear of the 25th 26th and 1st as that would be taking the mick.

I remember one year recently a load on here took time off through Christmas run their funds down and then January was sub zero temperatures and they couldn't work, the posts they made on here were pretty desperate. So I have the motto that if you can and want to then work whilst you can.

Simon.

stuart mc

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 05:18:24 pm »
good post simon, I started at 7.45 on shops then was on domestic for 9.30 had a good day as well with no problems, planning working 27th 28th & 31st starting back on the 3rd as the 2nd is a holiday in scotland

james peters

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 05:41:11 pm »
I  started at 9 , and finished at 1.....had £47 in tips......well worth it....

look forward to 2 days off, then back on 27th 28th 31st and back to normal on 2nd...

is the 31st a bank holiday?

stuart mc

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »
no peter 31st is not a holiday

A-W-C

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »
SADOS  :P

james peters

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »
no peter 31st is not a holiday

great news....nearly a normal working week then ;D bar the 1st :P kuching 8)

james peters

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »