neil100

Rinseing, and Vikan cladding brush. Porky or not?
« on: October 27, 2005, 07:11:32 pm »
Had an Ionics demo on Tuesday.

The Rep was showing me how to use the poles correctely.He then said dont pull the brush head away from the window to rinse.IT can give you a bad back and put a strain on your arms. It is the wrong way to do it. Keep the brush pressed lightly against the window and move from side to side in a downwards direction.
You are rinseing as the water is filtering the dirt  through the brush head.

The reason given to me why a lot of Wfp users pull the brush away from the window to rinse was:-       1.  They have not been trained how to use it properly.

2.  The Vikan brush, Its should not be used on windows but on cladding only. This is due to the brush having Tetherd ends on the tips of the bristles. The dirt collects in tiny particles and is held on the bristle ends.

It can cause spotting due to the dirt not being able to get away.
Their own Dupoint brush bristles have all single ponts so no dirt can collect there. it just filters through.

He said he had tested both brushes after use in a bucket of pure water .Ionics 0tds.
Vikan 10tds.

Not a wfp as yet. But is this True.

Your views would prove very helpfull in what poles I will buy.

Cheers Nel,

Sarah Sarill

Re: Rinseing, and Vikan cladding brush. Porky or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:32:31 pm »
Neil,

An interesting thread,

We have used Vikan brushes for several years on our commercial customers and daily since July on all residential.  We store them overnight in a bucket of pure water and, touch wood, have not had much spotting to date.

I was sold this Vikan brush twice.  Once by a window cleaner who also sells via his shop and secondly by an online window cleaning company.

Am interested to know if your suggestions are confirmed by others.

Regards,

Sarah
Sarah

matt

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 07:42:49 pm »
Ive also used the Vikan brush since i started (well not quite, as i used a brush from Jeff B, but i wrecked it doing a load of cladding >:()

i find giving the glass a extra rinse fine, and it does give you piece of mind to know that only pure water has had the last contact with the glass

neil100

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:51:29 pm »
Matt, Over a days work are you putting extra stress on arms and back when rinseing?

Nel

matt

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 08:12:25 pm »
well i dont think i am  ;) i use a unger pole and a Vikan brush, its not that heavy, even my wife could use it

my arms are slightly larger, though i used to bodybuild a fair bit, but they are toned now

ian m

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:25:04 pm »
Vikan brushes were originally designed for cleaning vehicles,that being said I have been using one since July when I changed over from ionics.

I think what you have here is another case of "our gear is better than anyone elses," sales pitch.

It doesn't matter which brush you use keep it clean rinse weel and you'll get good results.

PS I don't lift the brush off the glass to rinse.

regards

Ian
I know you are out there....... I can hear you breathing

marc al

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 08:50:23 pm »
  I changed from Ionics to Vikan brushes, I get on much better with the Vikan brush, it was indeed designed to clean vehicles originally, so if it doesn't harm paintwork on cars it isn't going to hurt a pain of glass.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 09:30:52 pm »
i am v happy with my vikan - and i like the colours too :)

neil100

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 09:50:13 pm »
Marc and Davindo,

Do you pull the brush off the window to rinse?

Cheers Nel.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 09:52:09 pm »
Neil - I tilt it like a dog having a pee mostly but sometimes take it off the window

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 10:07:09 pm »
If that be the case why then does Ionic for an additional fee fit Viken brushes to thier residential poles?
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 10:12:16 pm »
I changed from Salmon to Vikan in April and find it an excellent durable brush.

I pull it way to rinse and find that at higher levels it does put additional strain on my muscles.
I have heard you can dribble water through the brush too and will soon try this on windows I can check the results upon.
It's a game of three halves!

kingfisher

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 10:20:33 pm »
Hi Nel

I also pull away from the glass to rinse but don’t as yet work higher than 25ft no problems with my back.

Kev

Dominic

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 08:34:30 am »
Hi neil

I use ionics system and brushes and don't have any issues at all. I don't have to clean my brushes ever, I might just pull a cobweb out here and there. I never lift brush off window except on sache windows if I need to get a jet underneath the lip a bit. And I always seem to get good results as long as I take my time. First cleans are the worst and I probably spend more time on these than I would like.

I'm no expert, been using system since may and love it. I've also never tried the vikan brushes.
I love this system now after the initial teething problems but I did pay the price!!!

cheers
Dom

Rob_B

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 09:13:29 am »
The only problem I have with the vikan brushes is the shape.

I find it difficult to clean corners with it being rounded at the ends, so I went for the residential double trim that is nice and square.

I don't pull away from the glass.

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 09:31:43 am »
well i dont think i am  ;) i use a unger pole and a Vikan brush, its not that heavy, even my wife could use it

my arms are slightly larger, though i used to bodybuild a fair bit, but they are toned now

matt, i enquired about a vikan brush head to fit on my unger pole (with gooseneck) but was told it would not fit.
how did you get around this?
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

telboy

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 11:52:40 am »
WE USE A 12" IONICS BRUSH ON OUR 60'FOOT IONICS POLE

AND FULLY EXTENDED IT PUTS A GREAT STRAIN ON
THE WHOLE BODY

SO ALL YOU CAN DO IS TILT IT.

AND MOVE IT FROM SIDE TO SIDE.

TELBOY  ;)

ANGEL C/S

Jon T.C.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 03:21:24 pm »
I use vikan brush heads, they suit me.I pull off the glass to rinse, and mine are always 100% !! ;D
Elite Cleaning Solutions

matt

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 06:01:49 pm »

matt, i enquired about a vikan brush head to fit on my unger pole (with gooseneck) but was told it would not fit.
how did you get around this?
Jay

i use a unger pole with the brush, as its a unger connection i can fit a angle thingy to it aswell if needed, though i must admit, thats only twice  on my round

i like the unger 3 X 2M pole, its hard wear, doesnt bend at all, and the only thing to go on them is the locking cones, which cost a quid each to replace

sair

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 06:13:09 pm »
have used most on market over years i sell vikan and use them find them better never clean mine , posssibly why i have no window cleaning left ,not!
rinsing is as individual as are window cleaners , and according to the heights you work at 60 different ball game we normally turn up flow and brush harder not pulling of to rinse
Essentially Pure Ltd

AuRavelling79

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 07:39:25 pm »
I use a vikan with an unger pole - I've just rammed it on the plastic gooseneck thingy and screwed it in tight. Then wrapped loadsa sticky tape round it and it's stayed in place for the last six months.

So now I can adjust the angle on the vikan and on the unger.

I am so prufeshnial see! ;D

neil100

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 08:00:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replys.

I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice.

But the real skill I suppose, is not in the make of brush,but the skill of the person useing it. God it makes me nervous thinking about it.I do hope I dont cock my w/c round up big time by not being able to do a good job.

Still would like to know though,if anyone else as done the test with a Vikan brush in pure water to see if the bristles do hold the dirt.

Regards Nel.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 08:28:05 pm »
Nel,

How long did they keep the brush heads in the water for ?

Hubby is about to put his Vikan in the bucket for overnight cleaning (which he does weekly as advised on this forum) and will take a reading for you.

Sarah

Sarah

AuRavelling79

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2005, 08:30:17 pm »
Hubby is about to put his Viking in the bucket...... as advised on this forum) and will take a reading for you.

Sarah

Cor! I wouldn't argue with your bloke Sarah - he sounds well hard!

neil100

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2005, 08:33:56 pm »
I dont know He never said.

I would think straight in and take a tds reading. With as little amount as water as possible for a more accurret reading.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2005, 08:36:58 pm »
Hubby is about to put his Viking in the bucket...... as advised on this forum) and will take a reading for you.

Sarah

Cor! I wouldn't argue with your bloke Sarah - he sounds well hard!

:P :P :P :P

I dont - hes bigger than me !!!!!!!

Sarah
Sarah

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2005, 08:39:40 pm »
I dont know He never said.

I would think straight in and take a tds reading. With as little amount as water as possible for a more accurret reading.

Nel,

Just done it and one minutes reading was 001.  Five minutes 001

Not a true experiment but gives you one test result. 

Hope that helps but it does sound like the usual 'our is better' sales talk to me and I have worked in and trained salespeople for over 14 years.

Regards,

Sarah
Sarah

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 08:46:28 pm »
Sarah's Hubby: "Oi! Lars! Get yer head in that bucket (boyo)!
Lars the Viking: "Yes sir, right away sir! Please don't burn my longboat sir! I need to get back to Norvay and escape from sheepland!

Sarah's Hubby: "Well we'll 'ave to see about that then won't we?"
Lars the Viking: "Oh help! Men of Harlech are advancing tovards me! What shall I do? If I don't dunk my head in ze bucket I'll never get back home! I told Hans not to go any further when I saw that sign on the Severn bridge!"

Jon T.C.

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 09:07:10 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D roflmao

Malc - u need help
Elite Cleaning Solutions

neil100

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 10:46:26 pm »
Sarah,

Thanks for that.

I'll just choose a selection of poles for me and the lad that are priced right, and a couple of diffrent brush heads I think,

Do you look for round ends or squared ends.?

WHAT SIZE BRUSH IS BEST?

Got a tucker demo on Tuesday,Not sure about alloy poles though,allways used wooden ladders and ali rungs asI find alliy ladders to cold in winter.

Regards nel.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2005, 10:55:07 pm »
Sarah's Hubby: "Oi! Lars! Get yer head in that bucket (boyo)!
Lars the Viking: "Yes sir, right away sir! Please don't burn my longboat sir! I need to get back to Norvay and escape from sheepland!

Sarah's Hubby: "Well we'll 'ave to see about that then won't we?"
Lars the Viking: "Oh help! Men of Harlech are advancing tovards me! What shall I do? If I don't dunk my head in ze bucket I'll never get back home! I told Hans not to go any further when I saw that sign on the Severn bridge!"

LOL LOL.   Malc, you are just too funny for this forum - your talent is wasted here  ;D ;D ;D

Do you look for round ends or squared ends.?

WHAT SIZE BRUSH IS BEST?

alloy poles .

Regards nel.

Nel, we use the 10" round Vikan for residential but would not mind trying their square version (dont know what its called).  Also use a 16" for larger commercial jobs on an alloy 36ft pole.

The alloy is colder and heavier hence the purchase of the Brodex fibreglass which is light enough for me to use as well.

Happy shopping,

Sarah
Sarah

neil100

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 11:13:44 pm »
Thanks Sarah,

Hope your Hubbie takes good care of you at the weekend as enlightend female window cleaners are an extremely rare species indeed.

Nel

telboy

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 12:52:37 pm »
SARAH

ITS V- I-K-A-N

NOT VIKING ;D

TELBOY ;)

ANGEL C/S

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 01:00:58 pm »
Telboy,

Just changed them - doh  ;D ;D

My signature apologises for my spelling but had better apologise for my ignorance too  :P :P :D

Thanks - wont be making that mistake again,

Sarah
Sarah