SteveAllan

Thinking of getting into carpet cleans
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »
Is the market saturated guys, im thinking of adding it to my services etc. Rang up about a course and they told me plenty of room for newbies (they would say that though) told me i need £2500 and away basically. I just want an opinion from guys in the field etc.

Ian Gourlay

Re: Thinking of getting into carpet cleans
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 12:24:40 pm »
The big question is who is They

Personally I think you need to think of more than £2500 pounds

Have you forgot about VAT or are you VAT registered

In addition to equipment you will need to spend £250 to £500 pounds a week on advertising  depending  on turnover you want.

You may have a ready customer base with your Window Cleaning Customers

How are you going to find time to clean carpets or do you already have staff.

Be realistic about start up costs

Franchises cost say £30k to start up and that is not all Franchise fees

So starting on your on may cost less but you still need to market, buy
equipment  and transport

Doug Holloway

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:34:59 pm »
Hi Guys

The CC market is saturated but there are always newbies coming and most going, which keeps machine suppliers going.

CC on it's own is very difficult to get establised in but can be done with determination but you do need rounded business skills, marketing, finance, selling etc to succeed.

As an add on to WC not many seem to make a go of it but some switch completely like Colin Bright, it's probably too complicated to be a WC one day and a CC the next.

There is also the training/knowledge aspect , theres a lot more to stain removal off different carpet and upholstery fibres than off glass.

The entry courses are very basic but you embark on a steep learning curve.

Cheers

Doug

SteveAllan

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:20:18 pm »
Thanks guys for your honest replies, maybe i should stay clear of it ;D

Pristine Clean

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:33 pm »
Steve,

In your post you state as an add on service. Are you a contract cleaner or window cleaner.

I would say if you are a cleaner then Add it. We are commercial contract cleaners. But have had this service for a few years now. I personally have been CC over 10 years.

I have recently hit (Marketed) residential and have had a reasonable conversion rate.  Which has already paid for new equipment and and a few months work for another operator. Within weeks.

Also you need to look at the market you are targeting. Is it residential or commercial. Obviously if you are hitting commercial then you will be limited to what you can do with a Partable. Well actually limited is the wrong word! With a portable it will take alot longer depending on the size of the area you need to clean. But I have got round this with portables! But does require use of a clients own water supply.

Also apart from a poprtable, if you are hitting commercial you will need to invest in a bonett system, there are many makes. The list is endless but I would say you would use this moreso for commercial.

Also get yourself some air movers. There blowers. To dry the carpets or upholstery.

And most importantly Insurance with Risk treatment. We manage fine with a few portables but you get frowned upon by the TM'ers we are just mare mortals. But you just have to take it. Also ignore them as you make them worse ;D But they are generally helpful.

Also consider Dry cleaning as well, TMs cant do that yet as far as a I am aware they have to use a seperate machine just like us mare mortals. But I am sure when they invent one that can remain in the van they will get it.

If you cant get a dry CC system then purchase a sebo for agitation.

Yes its saturated but the work is there. There is not much market that has not been saturated.

Quality is still a major player and the market is not saturated with Quality workmanship. Which will get you the work in itself.

Dave
"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Darren O

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 03:27:18 pm »
I do both carpet cleaning and window cleaning and they work well together ive got over 350 window cleaning customers when i first started doing carpets i said to all my customers about there carpets but to be honest i never done that many of them you just get a lot of funny looks so i stopped asking them but over time they used to see my van and then they would ask me and soon word spreads if you to a good job now i do loads of them.Carpet cleaning is far easier than window cleaning and you make a lot more money per hour the only thing is the overheads mainly advertising costs a small fortune but its worth it if you stick at it but dont ever give up your windows because there will be times when the carpet cleaning work dries up and as you no with window cleaning the money is gauranteed all year round and thats without spending a penny on advertising.

Gary Webber

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:27:05 am »
My honest opinion is there is always room for someone else. Don't be put off by the fact there are lots of companies around. You would need to focus on a unique selling point (what makes you different to other companies) and work on marketing that.

A large portion of carpet cleaners "look" the same, so you have to try a different angle. If you do and gradually build a good solid customer base you will have a solid business.

Regards

Gary

shaun lord

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:52:18 pm »
i love 2 put my willie in my machines,

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 02:34:38 pm »
i love 2 put my willie in my machines,

As long as it's a consenting machine, that's great news.... Well done ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:16:53 pm »
LOL!

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:28:41 pm »
"i love 2 put my willie in my machines,"

That is not recommended. Penile disfunction could be a distinct possibilty. Dermatitis could be the least of your worries. If your machine had an electrical fault then "Hot Dogs" could be on the menu ;D

derek west

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:30:05 pm »
i think penile disfunction is the least of his worries ;D
derek

calmore

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 07:48:35 pm »

I would say if you are a cleaner then Add it.

I would say add it to your portfolio of services but sub contract it out. That way, you'll be a one stop shop for cleaning services but don't have to invest in any equipment until you see how much trade it brings in.

If you see that in six months time, say, you have tons of carpet cleaning business coming in then you can invest in some training and a machine.

If, on the other hand you don't get many jobs then you haven't really lost much.

In addition, while your sub contractor is doing the carpet cleaning jobs you can be doing something else to bring in more money.
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/