windolene

Ionics redidential kit
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:12:39 pm »
Hi,

My supplier said to me that the Ionics DI  residential kit  gives the user 16 hours of usage per resin cartridge.  I live in Surrey which I think is hard water, but how hard I don't know. Is 16 hours an average or max?

I want one for the odd conservatory & out of reach window.

I have a second hand RO unit & DIY trolley but have not used it yet because of environmental concerns.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

Paul Coleman

Re: Ionics redidential kit
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 09:16:27 pm »
Hi,

My supplier said to me that the Ionics DI  residential kit  gives the user 16 hours of usage per resin cartridge.  I live in Surrey which I think is hard water, but how hard I don't know. Is 16 hours an average or max?

I want one for the odd conservatory & out of reach window.

I have a second hand RO unit & DIY trolley but have not used it yet because of environmental concerns.

Kevin WINDOLENE.

I'm not up to date with Ionics stuff but you may need to be careful here.  I think one of their trolleys worked off water pressure and needed plugging into a tap.  This could be illegal under a drought order due to the direct mains connection.  Another trolley they did ran independently away from a tap so would be legal as things currently stand.
As for how long you would get from a cartridge it depends on TDS (as you said), how much the cartridge holds and probably on flow rate too as this could determine how fast the water flows through.  General rule is 500,000/TDS = number of litres produced by 25 kilos bag of resin.  Obviously you would have to work out how much resin is held in an Ionics cartridge.  If it's not marked on the cartridge, I'm sure a quick phone call to Ionics would clear this up.  In the part of Surrey where I work, tap TDS is about 200 - pretty good for a hard water area.  This would make about 2,500 litres per 25 kilo bag.  Probably much cheaper to use the RO unit and put the RO'd water through the cartridge if that's possible or practical.

mark dew

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:02:04 pm »
I bought this last last winter and was very glad i did.
But i cleaned 4 houses and a conservatory roof with 1 cartridge. This was about 4 hours work.
Tds out the tap was approx 500.

Helen

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:24 pm »

You've got everything you need already. Plus it beats the restriction on hose pipe bans, which the other system won't as you live in Surrey.