Farhan

Carpets cleaned but not clean?
« on: October 09, 2020, 10:20:02 pm »
Had my cream carpets cleaned a few weeks ago by a company. They weren’t in the worst state - however it had been around 2 years since I had them cleaned last. Initially after they were cleaned they looked bright and almost new looking. A few days later they looked quite dull.

Any ideas why this happened?

DB

Re: Carpets cleaned but not clean?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 10:27:57 am »
Detergent residues left in carpet is the obvious answer -requires rinsing and possibly neutralising

dustee

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 08:56:41 pm »
get the company who cleaned them to come back

dustee

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 08:58:27 pm »
or did you clean them yourself and messed up

Lewis Newby

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:28:59 am »
How did they clean them?

What did they clean them with?

Were they trained?

Were they cheap?

How dirty were the carpets prior to cleaning?

Have you told them?

Farhan

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »
Cleaned using a Karcher Puzzi,

Hot water extraction,

From what I know they were trained,

Yes they were cheap ish - 4 carpets £80,

Not too dirty, hall was the worst but overall they weren’t bad condition,

Told them and they said they removed all the soiling and can’t change the colour of my carpets

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 11:08:51 pm »
Price could be the issue as that is a suicide business price but putting that aside, Puzzi’s are very low powered so a trained technician will probably to get a result  will have to use the chemical to make up the difference whether it be too high concentrate leaving the carpet full of detergent or using high ph to cut through the soils as the machine won’t. Imo I think you have gambled your £80  and possibly lost but not lost loads but you get what you pay for I’m sure that you’ll agree.

RPCCS

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 08:45:22 am »
I agree with Shaun, it looks like you have had a “car boot carpet cleaner”. A  Karcher is not particularly a professional machine, and 4 carpets for £80? A professional carpet cleaner would want at least that for half the work. Ask the company to come back and have a look, chances are they won’t .
Cheers Rich

maxcampbell

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 05:43:13 pm »
You get what you pay for. If someone only values his time at £20 to clean a whole room's carpet, you can't expect much - if he was good he'd be in more demand than that. A Puzzi is a spotting machine, for tidying up a spill, or treating a smallish stain.

Get the company with the most google reviews for carpet cleaning in your area to come and give them a proper clean with their truck mount. If it's furnished, expect a quote about £200 to £400, but that's not much over 2 years.

homenclean

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 08:15:19 pm »
The old saying buy cheap pay twice.

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 10:28:37 pm »
The cost is what you pay, the service is what you get so  poor workmanship isn’t always price related.  The issue is the machinery and the end result,  there’s a good coronation  between size of machine and quality of clean as the components are more powerful therefore cleaning deeper and drawing out more soil you don’t need to go through loads and loads of chemical to get the carpets clean so the fibres are left purer which means brighter, fluffier and therefore stay cleaner for longer.

dustee

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 09:31:46 pm »
Where the carpets pre- vacuumed  or did they just use a Puzzi

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »
Guys

the question is about the carpet being dull. its not about machine, or price. we all know that dirt can wear a carpet and that dirt will cover up the wear that is happening, so when you have  your carpet cleaned it reveals that wear. this shows up when you compare under the sofa like for like. we use the "wear age" saying when explaining this to customers. that a two-year-old carpet that's got high traffic will have the same wear as a ten-year-old one with low traffic. its a nice way to say clean more often.

Now some cleaning products don't have brighteners in them so this will not help. some microsplitter for example (not all). years ago Prochem used to sell brighter as a standalone product. As its in most of their product no need now.

https://ianharper.co.uk/ianharpercarpetcleaning/understanding-how-optical-brighteners-work/

Respects

Ian Harper