ronnie paton

cleaning painted steel work
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:02:14 pm »
if been asked to metal strusture thats coated /painted it has vehicle grime on it and i did a spot check on cleaning with wfp but not budging what method and or chemical would you use?

any one with previous exp of cleaning this type of thing your advice would be appreciated

BDCS

Re: cleaning painted steel work
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:28 pm »
Any photos? If you want to WFP it I'd spray it with non caustic TFR, leave to dwell and then pressure wash or WFP

ronnie paton

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »
sorry no photos its simalar to the runs od dirt you get on pvc but these will not come off with just rubbing or tfr

BDCS

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:58 pm »
as above - I use swafega non caustic tfr

Roger Oakley

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 07:28:10 pm »
Ronnie,
If you can get a photo, email me it if it is easier, as we have cleaned this type of surface (metal) before. Once I have seen a photo  I'll try to point you in the right direction.

BDCS

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:33:34 pm »
Sorry just read the words ??? What do you think caused the stains

ronnie paton

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:12 pm »
traffic film and water runs i guess it on a main road in the centre of town.

i will try and get some photos

Rob_Mac

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
Ronnie

Have just done some steel work in Bath, large ornate archway, over an old railway station, next to the store.

You wont get the rust marks off with just wfp, pressure washing etc.

Try cleaning the general area with pressure washer and then using a cream cleaner to bite into the stained areas and then rinse off. If it is painted metalwork why not clean it and then offer a repainting service!!

Rob ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:06 pm »
its huge rob and it would take to long, its a tourist attradtion so they cant be with out it.

im sure there is something that can clean it off its trail and error i guess

Rob_Mac

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:18 pm »
So is the steelwork I cleaned last week. Have you asked them whether they want a painting service, you never know.

Stoke City recently went up to the premiership and I was asked to quote on the cleaning of all the metalwork on the stadium before it was repainted.

I worked out it would take two men 3 weeks to pressure wash off all metal - £20 000.00

The actual job with repainting went to one of their sponsors for £200 000.00

If it is too big I will come up and have a look at it with you!!

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:06:09 pm »
If it is a landmark then it would look very good on your CV. Do whatever it takes to get the contract and then worry about doing the job afterwards. You will always get help off the forum.

If it is painted metalwork then it has been painted before and even if they dont want it painting now, because they havent thought that they could get it painted, may well develop into an opportunity in the future.

I would tell them it can be cleaned but you want to do some test areas, give them a price and offer the painting as an addition.

Rob ;D

ronnie paton

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:28:03 pm »
havent got any pics but can explain what it looks like it  may  help..........

its like when you look at a white van and it has black runs down it.....do you know what i mean?

apart from it doesnt just rub off

doug@munters

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:20:55 pm »
http://www.peelaway.co.uk/

This stuff any good

Roger Oakley

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 04:16:29 pm »
Ronnie,
Sorry for delay in replying we are flat out at the moment, anyway have a look at this site www.tensid.co.uk they have cladding cleaning chemicals, if you give them a call speak to Richard Turk, if they have what you need he will send a sample for you to try. Mention my name to him if it helps.

johnny_h

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:25 pm »
if its powder coated metal google ' see brilliance ' they have a product i have used called wax blue not cheap i think a litre cost in the region of £50 but you only use a dab at a time
AUDI VIDE TACE

ronnie paton

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 06:59:53 pm »
only just seen last to post here some pics though so some thing concrete would be perfect

Rob_Mac

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 06:35:59 am »
Ronnie

A good cream cleaner will shift that - no problem!!

Rob ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 04:26:16 pm »
Doctor power

Comes with a small sponge. Wet the sponge rub it in the paste. Wash the surface with a rubbing action and then pressure wash off!

Rob ;D