rafferty

henry vacuums
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »
i intend to buy 12 henry vacuums i can get them for £78 quid each in the espo catalogue  all in price .. any cheaper ones any where??

*Chris Browne

Re: henry vacuums
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03:31 pm »
That seems a resonable price for henry's, go for it.. ;) we go for the victor v9s these days slightly cheaper than that (with our discount) and with a hepa filter, but cant knock the henry's they are many peoples choice.

Chris

J. Deans

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:25:53 am »
I can knock the Henry.
Most of its faults are at the user end.

The plastic end to the hose splits easily where it connects to the metal pole.
The pole conections either 'fuse' together in time, or constantly fall apart during use.
The angle of the bend in the pole is all wrong.
The air 'valve' is right where you want to hold the pole and turns too easily.
The pole and the head together are much heavier than other vacuum cleaners.
The standard head is too wide for some domestic work.

The 'steering' wheels are too small, making it awkward to pull around corners on carpet.

But we still use them. Our favourite is the 'Extra' from Argos.
It is slightly smaller with a high/low power switch.

Jan K

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:16:22 am »
i got mine for a few quid short of 70 at comet, plus if you can afford to fork out for the extra insurance, its worth it :)
anyone with facebook can add me at this link ...  jan 'minkeedj' kindon  .... if you can be bothered lol

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:09:55 pm »
I can knock the Henry.

The pole conections either 'fuse' together in time, or constantly fall apart during use.

The 'steering' wheels are too small, making it awkward to pull around corners on carpet.

When the hose splits the beauty of the henry is that you can unclip the hose from the cuff , take the broken piece out of the collar that sits inside the cuff and thread the collar onto the existing hose. There are few if indeed any vcuum cleaners that still allow you to do this as most would rather you buy a new hose. If the valve turns too easily then tape it up, i do as i never use my valve. The new models have 2 speeds so its not really neccesary to use the suction valve anyway. The bend can be used in either direction so this should avoid it being in the wrong way. The head is large but like many cylinder vacuum cleaners it is not a head that was designed to work well on domestic carpets anyway, but you can buy different heads with wheels and static brushes that really make it work well on carpet cleaning. Henry is not faultless but i have seen nothing that i like better. The Henry Xtra is not smaller it is the exact same size as all other Henry models. The difference is that it has a suction powered turbo head which can offere improved cleaning on some carpets, but its not brilliant. The high/lo switch is standard now on all henrys.

elaine-matt

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 02:01:26 pm »
you must be the very few who dont know how to use a henry correct, i have one thats over 12 years old and still going strong. i would not think of using any other type of vac. and better still they are made in britian, how rare is that with everything made in china?

long live the henry!

I can knock the Henry.

*Chris Browne

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:19:10 pm »
I have hundreds of unused spares i bought for our first lot of vacs that were henrys, ..still got em, the henrys we do have out there are still going strong, haven't had to repair one in four years, thats why i cant knock em..

Chris

J. Deans

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 12:53:53 am »
That's why I said 'the user end.' I can't fault the 'motor' end!
Glenda - The hose shouldn't split as easily as it does - but it does!
And I DO tape up the valve... because I don't find a use for it either. (so what good is it for professional cleaners?)

Earlier this year, I had to replace the motor on a Henry (So they do pack-up eventually) and they wanted (almost) as much money as it was to buy a new Henry!)

Elaine -  How do you use a Henry - incorrectlly? (Have they really been around 12 years?)

I got an 'Alto' vacuum about a 18 months ago, on loan and trial, from a friend that supplies industrial cleaning equipment. It is FAR superior to the Henry in every way. I really mean that! But they are about twice the price - and twice as good!

IMO...

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:50:03 am »
I am struggling to understand which bit of the hose is splitting. Is it the concertina hose or the actual cuff (the cuff being the black end of the hose which is shaped to a triangle finish) that is splitting? If its the hose then there is no way around that happening as they do by very nature split because of how they are fashioned with the ring clipping the hose into the cuff - vax was very bad for this. If however it is the triangle end of the cuff that is splitiing then this is often caused by cleaners using the cuff on stairs and corners without the metal tube attached. Doing this wears the cuff down and makes it prone to splitting. Also if the replacement hoses are not the genuine Numatic hoses then these will break quickly as the quality is much poorer. Incidently, Henry has been around since the latter part of the 1980's. Numatic first became popular in the early 1980's, I started cleaning schools in 1983 and they had Vorwerk uprights which they replaced with Numatic tank vacuums not long after i began working there. Henry as a name was put on a smaller version of the tank cleaners i was using about 1987. Henry cleaners do pack up, usually the leads break, but also motors do burn out too as indeed you have found. But they give hours of use before this happens, you would be pressed to find another machine that takes the use that a Henry will and they much cheaper than a lot of cleaners. I still like an upright for carpets but i would not be without a Henry as well.

dustdees

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 06:28:39 pm »
Hi,

I get all my henry's from E-bay from a lady call Fiona Cole. If you type in I Love Henry, then you should be able to find he details.

I pay £48 for mine, and then £5 per delivery.

If you have any problems then I can provide you with an e-mail address for her.

Den

Art

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 07:17:18 pm »
Hi,

I get all my henry's from E-bay from a lady call Fiona Cole. If you type in I Love Henry, then you should be able to find he details.

I pay £48 for mine, and then £5 per delivery.

If you have any problems then I can provide you with an e-mail address for her.

Den

Are they new?

garyj

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 07:41:56 pm »
I was going to ask that Arfer. Just typed 'I Love Henry' into Ebay and no shop with that name. How long ago Dustdees? Never seen them at that price, you had a bargain.

Art

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:06 pm »
I was going to ask that Arfer. Just typed 'I Love Henry' into Ebay and no shop with that name. How long ago Dustdees? Never seen them at that price, you had a bargain.

Couldn't find them on ebay either. How does that saying go? "great minds "  :o :)

J. Deans

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »
Glenda.
Yes it is the 'cuff' part that splits.
Genuine Henry or Numatics from new - and they have all split.
I don't think it is because of use on stairs. It is simply because the 'cuff' is triangular and the most stress is put on the 'pointy' part. It is an obvious design fault and the simple remedy is a 'cable-tie' or 'tie-wrap' whatever you want to call them. But not too professional looking!
Thanks for the history of the Henry. I haven't been in the cleaning game for that long, so I wouldn't have noticed one vacuum from another back in the 80s.

John Kelly

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:27:36 pm »
Jan, did your insurance cover from Comet cover commercial use? I would be most surprised if it did. They may have said so in the shop but check your documents.

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 01:37:57 am »
Jan, did your insurance cover from Comet cover commercial use? I would be most surprised if it did. They may have said so in the shop but check your documents.

You would have to prove it had been used commercially or, more to the point, Comet would if they wanted to awkward about it. That said, although i have taken extended warranties on certain items in the past, i never really thought about doing so with a Henry as they are so reliable.

J.Deans, are your henrys stored in a cold place? If the triangle end of the cuff is splitting and you are sure it is not because the cuff has been used to do the cleaning, then i can't see a reason why it should happen. Tip: the cuff is very soft so take a sharp pair of scissors and cut the triangular end off so that it is just flat. This will stop it splitting and will make it impossible to use the cuff as a cleaning tool even though your staff never do that....

cleanimperial

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:27:59 pm »
Hi

I put a thread on here a while back. James vacuum cleaners £49.99 from Halfords
most of are machines are James now. As long as you fold the cord the same way each time it want start twisting and bending then it is a  pain.

Fred

Cleaning Resource

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 05:15:51 pm »
I get NVH180 (commercial Numatic  Vacuums) for 55 quid from Axo 01235 530451
they have a larger collection chamber than a henry or a james and a longer lead other than that they are exactly the same, made buy the same people in the same factory in somerset. Just no stupid faces or names on them.

The problems with the cuff has been noticed and they have extended it to make it a better fit as the splitting only happens when they start to work themselves loose. They have also extended the cuff on the floor tools for the same reason.
You can also buy one piece poles for commercial use.
you can also buy floor tools ranging from about 25cm to 36cm.
The bend in the top of the pipe is designed so that if you have it one way it makes the pole longer and shorter the other therefore making it more comfortable to use for a wider range of users.

If the motor is burning out it is usually because the filter is not being cleaned when the bag is changed, or the bag is not being changed regular enough or your not using a bag at all.

if you wind the cable on anything from the machine end to the plug end it will not twist as some one mentioned in an earlier post.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 05:52:49 pm »
It was me who mentioned the lead breaking, what i meant was (and maybe i was not clear in this point) the lead breaks on the Henry at the point where it is attached to the rewind drum, it is due to being pulled in and out. Any cleaner or indeed appliance that has no facility for storeing the lead should have the lead wound from the machine end and not the plug end, i agree with you Gleam. The main reason a lot of Henry cleaners have burnt out in the last 5 years is because Numtaic stopped putting thermostats on the motor which means they were not switching off when too hot. No prizes for guessing why they did this, i have no idea whether the latest restyled Henry has a thermostat or not.

dustdees

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 06:42:57 pm »
Hi Gary J and Art,

The Henry's are reconditioned but they come with new pipes and hoses, and work great.

I will get you her e-mail address so you can contact direct, if you tell them that I recommened you then I would be grateful.

E-mail Fiona on: fi.cole@ntlworld.com

Hope this helps!!!

Take Care