Ian Gourlay

Builders Clean Saftey Test
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:30:56 pm »
I read aletter in my local paper today about a carpeter of 42 years who complained  that he had to take an on site saftey test to be allowed to continue to work on building sites. It appears its a new regulation. Does it apply to cleaning companies and their staff?

Neil Mc Anulty

Re: Builders Clean Saftey Test
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:31:13 pm »
Hi Ian

In the North of Ireland it is not yet compulsary to possess this which I think stands for the UK, whereas in the south of Ireland you cannot work unless you have the site test.

As far as I am aware it will soon be compulsary in the North, again this will probably be in line with the rest of the UK.

Phone the local builders office or check the Health and safety executive website.

Good Luck.

P.s I think the approximate cost is £90.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 04:13:46 am »
It must be the EU again

Jake

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 04:52:31 pm »
Ian

The carpenter you mention, might have been refering to the Construction Skills Certificate (?) If so, it has been in existance for a good few years! As far as I know, if a construction company stipulates that it will only employ certificated workers, than that is what you would need to work for them, but not every company operates the scheme. In the present 'boom',  a lot of firms would just not get workers, as by law, it is not compulsory.

We priced a job recently, where the Contracts Manager asked us if we had the card, but after probably  realising there is not a cleaning qualification available within the construction industry, the subject 'died' and we carried on. Suffice to say that I think  by not having this certificate, cleaning contractors will not be affected.

Regards..   Jake (westclean)
Exeter, Devon

martin19842

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 02:28:13 pm »
hi there,

i have talking to the cscs today, and they confirm that they have no trade associated for build cleans, and that for theforseeable future, that will be the same.

therefore you can get a letter to this effect.

however there is a yellow cscs card, which is 'Regular Site Visitor' and means that you need to pass a health and safety multiple choice test to achieve the card.

hope that helps.